“Excellent service with realistic pricing ...& breakfast! - Recommended”

Quality Hotel Antwerpen Centrum Opera
Ranked #29 of 72 Hotels in Antwerp
Reviewed July 8, 2009

What a refreshing change from typical business class hotels, with impersonal service & atmosphere. Stayed four nights in July 2009. Quality is fine, pricing is good (I understand they always bundle breakfast by default too … including a ‘English’) & the location is a few minutes easy walk from the main railway & bus stations. The hotel is located down a quiet side street but with plenty of bars & cafés within a 100m metres.

The reception desk staff at the Residence were first rate & extremely helpful regarding assistance, advice, and local sites / travel information. Had a problem with a sticking bathroom door (don’t ask) – reception called out a maintenance guy to us at 8:30pm. As a repair was required we were immediately upgraded to a suite as recompense of the disruption.

Only negative, as we stayed in freakishly hot July, the rooms do need aircon .. .but again the helpful staff provided a fan immediately upon request. This hotel is worthy of the star rating.Would rate this hotel highly & would stay again.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank havacuppatea
There are newer reviews for Quality Hotel Antwerpen Centrum Opera

An Agoda Traveler
Reviewed March 11, 2009

• Stayed: March 2009
Reviewed March 1, 2009

We had an airmiles voucher which we had to use. The catch with the voucher was that we had to book a hotel through them and unfortunately the choice was pretty much limited to hotels in the Residence group of hotels. Based on past reviews, we certainly wouldn't have picked the hotel under normal circumstances.

That said, there were some good points about the hotel:
1) The location is ideal if you are arriving by train as its only a 5-10 minute walk.
2) Its close to the main and tram terminus so its easy to get around the city - we caught the number 12 tram straight down to the art museum.
3) The shops are right on your doorstep and Reubens house is a 5-10 minute walk. The cathedral is nearer a 15 minute walk.
4) The rooms and bathrooms are large - this is why it got 4 stars. The bathroom was reasonably modern with a white suite and marble walls. Yes you would have a problem if you want a shower, but personally I prefer a bath so it didn't really matter.

However, nothing else about the hotel really warrants 4 stars. In particular:
1) The mattresses are cheap and nasty. One person moves a finger and the other person knows.
2) Every sheet and duvet cover had holes in or had had holes sown up. When I asked for sheets without holes nothing was done.
3) The carpets in the room are the cheapest carpets ever - downmarket office rather than upmarket hotel.
4) Whilst the location is good in terms of getting to places, there is some noise at night from drunks etc in the street although perhaps we were just unlucky (at least it was at 5am).
5) Breakfast is pretty grim. Once again the cheapest of everything is used.

Basically, the hotel survives on group tours and a few agents like AirMiles using it. If you've got a free choice I'm sure you would do better elsewhere.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed January 25, 2009

I booked this Hotel with booking,com for a 2 night stay in Jan 09. I had read some reviews before I went, I was a bit apprehensive about it. I arrived just after 12:00 and booked in straight away. I had a double room on the first floor which was large, had a lcd television on the wall, which had bbc1 & bbc2 channels. It also had a fridge so as you could keep your drinks in. The bathroom is average, yes it does not have a shower curtain but the way it is angled the water does not go all over, the shower was hot and powerful. There is plenty of wardrobe and storage space. It has heating in room which is easy to use and heats the room pretty fast. The breakfast is like most continental hotels, cereals, cheese, ham bread rolls, the scrambled eggs were ok the bacon was a bit crispy but overall it was good.
The station is about 10 mins walk, and the main shopping area is 5mins walk away. Really nice shopping area with good shops.
My son is studying in Antwerp and I am going back to see him again in Feb and have booked this hotel again. Had a good deal with hotel connect.com, 3 nights for the price of 2. I would recommend this Hotel.
As for the 4* star rating, maybe in London it would be rated a 3*.

D. Morris, Shropshire, England

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank DebbieShropshire
Reviewed December 22, 2008

Stayed at this hotel recently for a 2 night stay over a weekend, with my boyfriend as a X0th birthday treat. This was our third visit to Antwerp.

The location is quite good, it's less than 5 minute walk to the central station and about 15-20 minute walk to the centre of town. There is a secure car park next door to the hotel.

On arrival we received a cool reception, and after receiving our room key card (which had the name of the hotel and room number on it, unbelievable-heaven forbid if we'd lost the key?!) made our way up the ancient lift and down musty smelling corridor to the room.

Please note if you are allocated a room on the 6th floor there is no lift as pointed out by a previous tripadvisor.

The room was a good size and was clean. There was a rather odd arrangement for the beds; there was a double bed but two single duvets folded up on each side of the bed! For a two night stay we decided to live with it but I accept we should have pointed this out to reception and asked for a double duvet.

When I went to have a shower in the evening I was a taken aback to say the least to find there was no shower curtain. (to be fair I don't know if all the rooms are like this) The bathroom amenities looked cheap and nasty and what I'd expect to find in a 2* hotel (actually-I have seen better in a 2* hotel)

The breakfast was mediocre in general. It consisted of cereals, pastries but had a lovely selection of jams, scrambled eggs and bacon which to be fair wasn't too bad. But having to help yourself to coffee out of a machine in a 4* hotel?! No toaster?!

It really seems like all I can do is nit pick. Hello... it's a 4* hotel! I really expected more. I stayed at the Empire last year, whilst I would admit it was just okay at best (I wrote a review for this one) I don't expect to pay another £15 a night and have no better standard.

Please don't get me wrong, it is not a bad hotel but if you are expecting/are used to 4* hotels, you will be disappointed.

It was a shame-the chap on reception as I checked out was very pleasant, and thanked me for our stay. Unfortunately by then, I had already decided I would not stay here on our next visit to Antwerp.

1  Thank wildbird
Reviewed December 4, 2008

Hotel is exactly in the center of Antwerp, in between the old town and the new center. Rooms are very clean and nice ,reception staff are very very friendly especially the front desk manager who went out of his way to make us feel at home. Excellent service overall. Antwerp as a city has world class ; it has a lot of culture, great shopping and its very clean ! No wonder it is so popular with the Dutch who are crossing the border all the time to go and spend time in Antwerp ! LOVED IT, WOULD GO BACK TOMORROW !!!

• Stayed: November 2008
Reviewed November 9, 2008

39 women from Wales on a weekend to Antwerp. Annual coach trip to various cities in Europe, Antwerp was chosen because of good reviews in the Lonely Planet and location. Hotel was in city but it took driver over an hour to find it from their directions. Staff in hotel unhelpful, unhappy and grumpy. Wanted to charge for teabags!! The city was quite dirty, people in shops mixed bunch but overall impression was that there was no interest in tourists. Won't go again. Ever.

• Stayed: November 2008