“Good value hotel”

TRYP by Wyndham Antwerp
Ranked #53 of 73 Hotels in Antwerp
Reviewed May 30, 2013

We have stayed here several times and it has been fine. The rooms are modern and clean - shower has been excellent and the staff are friendly.
It is about 10 mins walk to the station and another 10 mins into the heart of the city.
We often took a bike ride out and back in the evening for dinner - but also several restaurants nearby.
There is an excellent Le Pain Quotidien by the station for breakfast. Overall we found that you could not beat it for value.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
gmsirplantin, General Manager at TRYP by Wyndham Antwerp, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2013

Dear,
Many thanks for your recent stay and genuine feedback.
Obviously I'm pleased that you enjoy staying at our hotel and also appreciate and recommend our true value for money.
Looking very much forward to welcoming you back in the not so distant future.
Once again many thanks & kind regards,
Wim Van Respaille
General Manager TRYP by Wyndham Antwerp

Write a ReviewReviews (1,112)

Reviewed May 14, 2013

The hotel is in a decidedly unexciting and unattractive part of an otherwise very cool and hip city. The Reception area is part of the bar, so it's a little confusing. The staff tries to do its best and most of them -- with the notable exception of the man tending the bar who is neither nice nor friendly -- succeed despite the fact that they don't have much of a property.

My non-smoking room absolutely reeked of cigarettes. No way to change rooms; the place is sold out. The entire city is sold out or I would be out of here tonight!

There are no extra blankets available. I was given an extra sheet.

Do not order the cheese plate in the bar. It comprises about 40 1-inch squares of ONE type of cheese. Ugh.

Not my kind of place. And I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, unfortunately.

Room Tip: Don't book here!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank blondventures
gmsirplantin, General Manager at TRYP by Wyndham Antwerp, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2013

Dear,
I'm sorry to learn of your concerns regarding your recent stay with us and would like to offer my sincere apologies for the disappointment you have expressed. I'm pleased that you descripe Antwerp as a very cool & hip city, but rather surprised about your comments regarding our location, as we are at a very short walking distance (only 0,2 KM) from the most charming & vibrant Dageraadplaats in the famous Art Nouveau style Zurenborg district.
Please note that we do not serve a cheese plate at our hotel but portions of 'Oud Brugge' cheese cubes as an appetiser.
I hope that you will not judge us solely on the basis of this particular experience. Hopefully we will get the opportunity to welcome you once again in the future so that you can experience the true TRYP hospitality.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

Price and location are generally good, unless you mind taking a 20-minute walk downtown every day; could not complain about the service either - every request is attended to (to the best of the staff's ability); the coffee machine in the lobby is a *definite plus*, just don't attempt to get any tea there - the tea from the machine is just horrible, get you tea elsewhere. The mini-bar is also free, not that I used it (but a friend of mine did - and it cost him absolutely nothing).

However, my room's interior left much to be desired - cracks in the wall paint, dirty spots (on the walls), pieces of paint just falling off the wall and lying there - that's the flip side of the coin there. Yet, the room was generally clean - just shabby. The carpeting was yet another sad story - looking dirty and worn out (yet not being *really* dirty - I took a napkin and checked - the carpeting is not dirty but looks pretty bad nevertheless). The staff told me that renovation of the interior is due pretty soon, you might be in advantage to call the hotel before you go and check if it has actually happened.

The A/C is another thing to be warned about - it exists but instead of cold it blows air of unpleasantly tepid temperature - I resorted to opening the window. Maybe that's to be fixed/renovated as well.

Overall, the hotel is not bad, I just would not consider it for a honeymoon, that's all. :-)

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
gmsirplantin, General Manager at TRYP by Wyndham Antwerp, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

Dear,
Many thanks for your feedback regarding your recent stay at our hotel. Obviously I'm pleased that you appreciate the service level we offer at the TRYP by Wyndham Antwerp. Regarding the maintenance issues, I'm pleased to inform you that already three floors will be fully renovated by September '13.
Look very much forward to welcoming you back in the not so distant future.
Best regards,
Wim Van Respaille - GM TRYP by Wyndham Antwerp

Reviewed April 21, 2013

we got a very reasonable rate. This hotel for us was in a good location.

We parked in the street at half the cost so that was even better.

For me this hotel has the malmaison feel of the uk, the rooms are great, and the free coffee machine in reception is even better.

Staff are polite and attentive and the local square is close enought to walk too for a realley good exeperince.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
gmsirplantin, General Manager at TRYP by Wyndham Antwerp, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

Dear,
Many thanks for your positive feedback regarding your stay at our recently rebranded hotel.
I do agree that we can be compared with a Malmaison hotel in the UK. Obviously we are pleased you have enjoyed your stay at the Tryp by Wyndham Antwerp and mention our high price-quality ratio. We are already looking forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed April 13, 2013

I think this hotel is good considering its price. They are obviously trying to be good and there are signs of this (free coffee machine, allegedly free mini-bar: shame we never discovered this and no one on reception even mentioned such an usual feature to us - we have never seen free mini-bar and were even once charged for drinking the bottle of water put on the table! so it will be good move to keep the guests properly informed on this feature).

Location is not that bad as some people perceived. It is really neighboring the nice quarter - though to get to the town centre you need to walk for about 10-15 mins, but we didn't see a problem with it.

I would recommend this hotel to a friend (and will tell him/her about the "free" mini-bar!!!!)

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
gmsirplantin, General Manager at TRYP by Wyndham Antwerp, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

Dear,
I'm pleased you have enjoyed your stay at the TRYP by Wyndham Antwerp. I do very much appreciate your genuine comments and would like to apologize that you were not informed by our reception about complimentary the minibar (= 4 mineral waters, 1 limonade & 1 premium lager / daily replenished).
I will also share your feedback with my staff, so we can learn from it.
Once again many thanks & best regards,
Wim Van Respaille - General Manager TRYP Antwerp

Reviewed April 10, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights at the beginning of April. We booked because the reviews seemed reasonable, and the hotel was very cheap (Under £70 for 3 nights). At the time we didn't realise the location was not so good- you're out of the city in a suburb that looks a little ropey. The hotel also seems to be re-branding, from Sir-Plantin to Tryp, so some web pages have one hotel or the other.

The entrance to the hotel was very nice, and very promising. Reception and welcome was ok. We weren't helped with bags, shown to the lift or told how to find our room though, no biggie.

Upon leaving the lift for our room, 411, we entered a pitch black corridor. Black floors, ceilings, no external lights. We called it the corridor of doom. When you come out of the lift you almost walk in to a wall before the lights come on. There's nothing to say what rooms are left, what are right so you have to work it out.

The room we were given was poor. There was a massive dirty stain on the floor which made you immediately think the room wasn't clean. The lime green paint was badly chipped and marked. The window didn't close properly, and we were on the very busy road at the front of the hotel. This is very noisy. We asked to move rooms, and reception we helpful and moved us to 411 next door. This room was an improvement with working window. I found a hair in the bath and the floor in the bathroom I don't think has ever seen a mop. The bedding was clean and comfortable.Road noise was fairly consistent, and was very audible until around 11pm. It became noisy again at around 5am. I didn;t find it stopped me sleeping as we were out and about all day so slept like a log, but light sleepers would have a big problem.

The air conditioning was a beast to work and there's no instructions with it. The volume on the TV struggled to compete with road noise a bit. There's a free minibar, and on a daily basis you get 2 bottles of still water, 2 of sparkling, 1 fizzy orange and 1 beer.

There are no tea or coffee making facilities in the rooms. There is a coffee machine downstairs which does good coffee, and the reception didn't care we were taking it up to the rooms. We didn't have the breakfast so can't comment on that.

On the decor front, I really can't work out why somebody would paint a corridor matt black. I don't think they could have chosen anything worse. For the money the hotel is good value, but once you leave reception you feel there is a lack of care and will to maintain anything in "nice" condition. I'd imagine in 2 years the hotel will be looking very ropey again. After finding the hair in the bathroom and the dusty floor, I felt the room was not clean even though it probably was ok.

There is a supermarket within 5 minutes of the hotel which is great for nibbles, water etc. They also have a very good and very cheap selection of Belgian beers :)

All in all- if you want a hotel in Antwerp, if you just want somewhere dirty cheap, don't mind being out of the way, and can sacrifice things like room size, road nice etc then this is fine. That said I would suggest looking for somewhere a little more central, and a little nicer inside.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a room round the back, this gets you off the main road which is consistently nois...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
gmsirplantin, General Manager at TRYP by Wyndham Antwerp, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

Dear,
Many thanks for your recent stay & genuine feedback.
Although I definitely regret the fact that you are not very pleased about our hotel & location, I'm convinced we offer a great price-quality ratio.
I would like to apologize that the bathroom was not cleaned properly as it should be and have immediately followed up your reaction with our housekeeping contractors. I can assure you that our housekeeping standards are normally of a high standard, as we are well aware this a most important issue.
We are currently doing a grand renovation (nearly finished) of our 6,7 & 8th floor and have also taken all the feedback from our valuable guests into account. So I'm pleased to confirm that the 8th level will be in a light colour, whilst the 6th & 7th level will also be lighter that the other floors.
I hope you will come back to try our newly renovated rooms in the not so distant future, aswell to discover the most charming art-déco Zurenborg area just next to our hotel.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

We stayed in hotel for three nights during the Easter break.
Hotel is very easy to find, not exactly central location but if you enjoy walking :) it is perfect place to stay.15 minutes walk from central station, with supermarkets and fast foods nearby.
Room was very nice and clean. We really liked the decor :) But it was very cold inside when we came. So while we were out we left AC turned on...hoping it will be better when we come back. But it wasnt :( our AC was broken. But we had a new room in 10 minutes.
I would recommend this hotel because location was good, staff was extremely helpful and kind, room was very clean and all this for great price :)

Room Tip: room 114 - A/C didnt work, orange one room 120 - green one
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear,
Many thanks for your recent stay & genuine feedback.
My apologies about the technical shortfall in the first allocated room, however also pleased that our receptionist solved the problem by offering you a room-move, so you were able to enjoy your stay with us.
Looking very much forward to welcoming you back in the not so distant future & best regards,
Wim Van Respaille - G.M. TRYP by Wyndham Antwerp