“Outstaning experience” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of De Groote Witte Arend

De Groote Witte Arend
Ranked #43 of 1,396 Restaurants in Antwerp
Cuisines: Belgian, Bar, European, Dutch
Good for: Kids, Business meetings, Families with children, Dining on a budget, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Austin, Texas
“Outstaning experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

This was actually our first dinner in Belgium, and still one of our favorites. The food was definitely Belgian comfort food, and not overly complex or unique, but very well prepared and exactly what we were hoping to find to go with their excellent beer selections. We ended up turning this into a four hour affair as we enjoyed a number of excellent beers after finishing our house garden salad to split, the beef stew and the rabbit stew. All three hit the spot perfectly, and were paired very nicely with the beers we selected.

Service was incredibly friendly, helpful, and very knowledgeable, including our waiter going out of his way to recommend various other places to visit in Belgium when he heard we were making our way to Ghent and Brussels as well. We tried several beers including the very good, local Kamil that we were unable to find elsewhere in Belgium. Highly recommended, and I can't wait to go back on our next trip.

• Visited September 2013

New Jersey
“Nice, quiet courtyard to get away from the crowds”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

Looking around restaurant row, I spotted the sign for this place that led me into a quiet courtyard. When I saw people just sitting, reading and having a beer, I knew it was the right place. There are picnic-style tables outside and they don't seem to mind if you sit there all night just drinking a beer. Very welcoming and not at all rushed. I had the Stoofvlees, which is a typical Belgian beef stew, which came with fries and a salad. It was really a nice atmosphere to just sit and relax away from the tourist traffic, and the service was attentive without being rushed.

• Visited May 2013
natstef@hotmail.com
“Expected more from the write up's we'd seen!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

This bar/restaurant is in a lovely setting and is furnished in a really nice way too. We had done lots of research before our trip, and this place had lots of good reviews so we thought we'd give it a go. The staff we're fantastic and the place was very clean, the food however, was average! I ordered a salad, which looked huge as it was brought over to me. I thought I would never be able to get through it all. When I dug in to it, underneath all of the pretty window dressing, of three prawns and soggy sugar snap peas, there was a huge pile of grated carrot and cucumber and not much else! I had such high hopes and it's a shame as this was one of the only places we went too that actually had salads on the menu! My husbands meal was also average. I'm not saying it was bad, but I would class this place as pub grub rather than restaurant standard.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
London, England
“Chaotic Saturday evening”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013

I took a party of ten people to the restaurant last Saturday. We had booked in advance and were expected. As always the quality of the beer and the ambiance was first rate. But it took an hour and a half for our food to arrive. Some of which was over cooked and some under cooked. Clearly they were unprepared for parties of our size. The waiter was apologetic, but rather surly and I was not impressed with his general attitude.
In the past we have always had a good time here - it is a restaurant we always go to when I visit Antwerp. I hope our recent visit was an aberration and that normal service will resume shortly.

• Visited April 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Boom, Belgium
“Very good food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

It's not the cheapest option ever but the quality of the home made food is very good. I especially liked the desserts, during the sunny days you can sit outside and enjoy the atmosphere (not on the street so quite). There is also a good selection of Belgian beers.

Visited January 2013