“MINIMAL”

Ranked #29 of 71 Hotels in Antwerp
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“MINIMAL”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

Arrived after 9PM in a closed hotel we had to call and wait for the nightguard to let us in. Room with no AC, 25c degres in the room. Had to argue on the phone with the manager who told us that 4 stars regulation did not requiered AC but that if we where ready to pay extra we could get another room with AC. Greedy managment, artsy futsy designed room, everithing minimal, no desk, no coffe maker, no space, no intimicy, no confort. Do yoursel a favor, dont book there !

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

Beautiful hotel with a unique, modern character. The interior is fresh and wonderfully decorated, the bedroom was very comfortable and the staff were extremely friendly and accommodating. Perfect for a city break or business trip.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
cambridge
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

Rubbish stay at the Banks. It bills itself as a boutique hotel but in this case it isn't true. First, it's not a hotel really. More like a fashionable hostel. It has no hotel amenities that people traveling need, especially business travelers.

Their is only one person working the entire hotel at any given time, which means there is zero customer service. In the morning it was laughable watching the poor smuck working there running back in forth from the "kitchen" to the reception to answer the phone as he had to do double duty, prepping the equally laughable and overpriced (for what it is) healthy breakfast that cost at best 3 euros in any local Delhaize and consisted of a boiled egg, an egg-cup sized portion of cereal, a slightly larger portion of yogurt, two slices of meat and cheese, a selection of bread and orange juice. Ah, that's not breakfast and being lactose and nut allergic, not even edible. Felt ripped off! Don't buy the breakfast. Better yet, don't stay in the hotel.

The rooms are minimalist in design in the worst possible way. In my case that meant raw concrete floors and ceiling and a tacked on showing stall and toilet in the room itself. Minimalist can still feel comfortable. Here it felt cold, unfinished and uncomfortable. Worse, the AC was broken and the Internet was working only at dial-up speeds!!

There are many great hotels in Belgium. Avoid this one.

Room Tip: There are none.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank dmaxsmith

Travelers are raving about these Antwerp hotels

Ghent, Belgium
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

Banks Hotel has a nice location, friendly staff and pretty design. When we arrived, we got free drinks at the bar and tapas, which was very nice.
The rooms have nice design, but are quiet small (the bathroom was so small, mini shower) and there is no fridge (I always like to have a fridge, especially because we got a bottle of champagne at our arrival, but had nothing to keep it cool in).
The breakfast was nice. There is no buffet, so they just bring you a plate with everything on it, but it was delicious!
Nice and hip hotel, but the bathroom was too small for me, and some essential stuff were missing, in my opinion.

Room Tip: we asked for a corner room, which was a bit bigger than the other rooms
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Geel, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

The best is the location. Nice atmosphere and the wellcome drinks. The bedroom was small but ok and cleaned. It's perfect for a short staying.
The service was very helpful.
The hall is very nicely decorated

Room Tip: Make sure you get a double bed¡¡¡
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Guanajuato
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

I experienced the same poor service and quality as other reviewers - the rooms lack style and basic amenities, like double glazed windows to block out the street noise in the "superior" rooms, there are no in-room safes or coffee/tea service, the towels have seen better days and my room had a corner of the bathroom done up in silver electrical tape. Pushing the mediocrity into the insane, I returned from dinner one night at around 11:30, and my room key didn't work. Not a problem in most hotels, however at Banks, reception goes off line at 8 or 9 pm and there is no way to contact the night porter except by cell phone (there is a number taped to the door). Fortunately, my dinner companion came with me to use the toilet, and she was able to call. The night porter told me not to talk to him, talk to his boss, and doesn't everyone have a cell phone? The staff the next day were more sympathetic, but weren't jumping up to do much about it, and they also chastised me for not super gluing my cell phone to my chest.
Oh, and at 0830 on a Sunday morning, there was no one around who could print my bill.
The afternoon happy hour and nice lounge would indeed be a differentiator, if they got the basic hotel stuff right. If you still insist on staying at Banks, skip the pricey and uninspiring "healthy" breakfast.
I was also a bit put off by the up front billing, but I can see why now with the minimalist reception service and I would have tried to check out early if I was staying longer than 2 nights.
I wouldn't recommend Banks to anyone and wish that I had read the other reviewer comments before I booked - they are spot on.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Paris, France
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

Super location but this hotel does not quite cut it. It wants to be a boutique hotel and the design does suggest it is, but it falls short in many respects.
Services are at best mediocre; staff is nice/pleasant but it is run in a rather disorganised way which left me waiting at the reception (desk) for minutes .....before I had to walk in to the breakfast room to find someone.
Also, I had booked and paid for breakfast (late, at checkin) but apparently their system was set up in such a way that the breakfast crew could not easily see that I had in fact paid. So I was 'refused' breakfast despite my 'let me just eat my breakfast already, wilst you sort out your system issues'.

We booked a suite as we had read that other rooms were 11m2 with an open shower. That suite was OK in size ....but not much bigger than I would expect any normal room to be. It also did not have a real feel of 'luxury'; ceilings that I could touch (I'm 6foot); cheap thin towels, basic basic beds. A bottle of cava does not make up for that.

Shower was lovely with lots of waterpressure.

Add quite a lot of noise from other rooms, unusual noise from the drains and a lot of noise from the street and you get a far from perfect experience.
Would I sleep there again? Sure as hotels can get far worse ...but I simply would not pay the prices asked. This hotel is charging rates for a luxury boutique hotel which it just is not. .... on any level ....... including -come to think of it- their nice trendy design .......as I still have to find the first REAL design classic in this hotel (like the 'arco' by Castiglione).

Room Tip: If you want less noise perhaps ask for a room that is top floor and does not face the street.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends