“Absolutely the best food!”
Review of Het Gebaar

Het Gebaar
Ranked #1 of 23 Dessert in Antwerp
Cuisines: French, Belgian, Dutch, European
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Scenic view, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Belgium
“Absolutely the best food!”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I've eaten in a lot of restaurants from Brasserie to Michelin stars. Some I have returned a few times simply because it's the nearest or because the food is good and the price is reasonable. But one restaurant I can't forget is "Het Gebaar" in Antwerp. The restaurant is simple in itself cozy and situated near a park, yet, it does offer a special menu. You would think that you would get the normal meal, but the chef (owner) makes it so special that you would take out your camera because the food is so well arrange like an art. There are so many Michelin stars restaurant that does served food artistically but Het Gebaar for me is the best. Every pieces of the food taste good and makes you think or wonder what it is made of? Food is delicious... dessert... fabulously out of this world ! Never would you find anything like it.
Price, very reasonable and for a Michelin Restaurant, it's way better than other Michelin star restaurant in Belgium... Server, very friendly and attentive. The owner (Roger Van Damme) who I only knew that he was the owner because his books are displayed near our table and are for sale came out for a short while to look at his clients (very nice on his part to do that).

Oh before I forget, people would be shy to take a picture of the food... I wasn't... but once I started to take photos with my iphone, almost, and I mean almost everyone started to take photos too of their plate. :-)

• Visited February 2013

Ghent, Belgium
“The best restaurant in Belgium (or maybe even in Europe)”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

For my boyfriend's birthday, we had lunch at Het Gebaar in February 2012 (for some reason, I forgot to post this review before.)

This was truly our best restaurant experience EVER.

We knew Roger Van Damme from the Flemish tv channel 'Njam' and always loved watching his tv shows in which he makes the most incredible desserts.

What we didn't know, was that his starters and main courses are all just as great as his desserts. So our expectations were highly exceeded.

Every course you get looks like an artist's masterpiece. The plates are so beautifully decorated,it almost feels like it's a downright shame to eat them. But when you do eat them, they're like heaven on your tongue.

So if you go there, don't take just the dessert but try both: main course and dessert.
I think we paid around 70 EUR per person for an alcoholic drink, a fresh orange juice, a main course and a dessert (the desserts are around 20 EUR each but so much worth their money) so all in all not very expensive if you know that this restaurant is the only lunch restaurant (in Belgium) that has a Michelin star.

The only disadvantage is that you can not make reservations in advance on Saturdays (the restaurant itself, told me that - from their experience - they know they can serve more people on a Saturday if they don't take reservations)
So when you go there on a Saturday, you have to be lucky to get a table. We had to wait approx. 30 minutes before we got a table but it certainly was worth the wait.

The restaurant is located in Antwerp's botanical garden. Although the garden is very small, the restaurant's interior is really cosy and the service was very friendly.

I can not say 1 single negative thing about this restaurant. They simply have all the ingredients that a good restaurant should have.

• Visited July 2012
Derbyshire
“Every mouthful a different taste explosion”
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Went here by chance, thinking that it was a tea room in the botanical gardens. That was our only mistake. I don't think that I have ever eaten food so carefully prepared and thought out. The accompaniments to the veal sweetbreads were astonishing,unsure what everything was, but truly astonishing. The chef specialised in desserts. We chose the one which looks like a garden. Mind blowing! Every mouthful a different texture and flavour, it really looked like a toy garden complete with a tree.
If you are in Antwerp, don't miss this. They are open for lunch not dinner.

• Visited May 2013
Zurich, Switzerland
“Worth the cost, take your time to enjoy”
Reviewed May 25, 2013

A special experience well worth the high cost. Inside this charming brick cottage at the edge of the Botanic Garden, is an elegant interior with a truly special cuisine. It's a meal to be savored so be sure to allow plenty of time. The waitresses explain the dishes for the non- Flemish speaking, Every dish is individually prepared, and each is a work of art. No vegetarian meals on the menu, but there is a vegetarian option.

• Visited May 2013
Antwerp, Belgium
“very cosy restaurant with excellent food !”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We went here for a meal on my daughters birthday and by her invitation !! it was a real experience !! The chef brought our lunch to our table and was very friendly ! it is a cosy restaurant, feels like in the living room of the chef ... I had the seabass, and it was really fantastic ! after that I didn't feel hungry no more, but we ordered a dessert as well. That was a real eye-catcher !! I had 'the Botanique', and it was like a little garden on your plate ... complete with a little hill of chocomousse, and a tree of chocolate standing right on top of it !! but it was too much for me, after the main course. staff is very friendly.

• Visited April 2013