“Very poor!”

Hotel Diamonds And Pearls
Ranked #31 of 73 Hotels in Antwerp
Reviewed December 25, 2012

I've had a very very bad experience with Diamonds and Pearls. My room was horrible and a dangerous place to sleep: all the curtains were made of highly inflamable material and they all were in direct contact with electric heaters. Highly inflamable! Furthermore they had pile carpet in the room and dust rags against the wall. Not very comfortable for allergic/asthmatic people.

Last: asked for a bill which they did not have. They promised to e-mail it... I am still waiting. I've called 6 times, e-mailed 12 times: NOTHING. I've heard several excuses of which the boldest one was: "I've been in the hospital for two months".

A horrible place. I would most definitely not recommend it.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Klaas D

Reviewed November 27, 2012

On arrival we found the door locked & had to telephone for someone to let us in. Someone arrives 15 minutes later. Kindly offered to help take the baggage into the hotel. There we are faced with what can only be described as mountain climbing to get to the room. The steps are very, very, very step & narrow. There were 4 flights to get to the room. They were informed that this booking was for a family with a four year old. To late to cancel as they process your cards Asap. The room was not great more an open space with beds & a TV. There is no tea making facilities & you have to go all the way down the flights of stairs & back up again. The fire escape was very poor & I would have been very worried if we had to try & use it. Only staff you see are at breakfast.(one friendly lady). You will not see any staff at any other time. No phone, no bar its as sparse as it comes. The only thing it has in its favour is it is in the old town but nothing else. On the last night & for breakfast I had to go buy tea bags as they had run out & not purchased more. Asked for a bill which they did not have & said they would it be emailed - still waiting. This the worst hotel I have ever stayed at & I would not recommend it. Says it has a bar & restaurant but it has not. It reads like a great hotel until you get there & you find that its all a lie.

Room Tip: Do not book one,
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank S H
Reviewed August 22, 2012

This is one year late but our experience at Diamonds & Pearls is too memorable to forget. We were a group of 3 girls, first time to Belgium. With the help of a map, it is possible to find this small hotel. However, be prepared to walk at least 20 minutes from the Antwerp Centraal train station. This hotel is very clean, centrally located & has English-speaking staff. The owners were very nice & friendly. Our room was on the top floor & we were pleasantly surprised by the interiors. It was very spacious & can accommodate up to 4 people. There was a balcony for us to relax too. However, the stairs need to have proper lighting, especially at night. Overall, i would recommend this hotel as it is good value for money.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sharon K K
Reviewed August 7, 2012

We came to this hotel by coincidence but were very nicely surprised. A small, friendly hotel, very well situated in the centre of Antwerp. The rooms were well decorated with a combination of modern (bed, bathroom, etc) and antique (furniture). Great little balcony. One of the best breakfasts we ever had in a continental hotel. High value for money

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 4, 2012

I am originally from Antwerp but left the country many years ago and I was very much looking forward to spending some time in a quaint place right in the city center. For starters, upon arrival, I was told that the room was not ready when I had specifically asked for an early check in. I had just traveled close to 10 hours and had a 6 hours jetlag. After about 30 minutes the owner arrived and luckily helped me up the suicidal stairs to my room. It had the antique look but a musty smell, the room was quite dusty and the bath tiles were very moldy. Overall, the room was not in the best of conditions. I was highly "amused" by the very large curtains that turned out to be only for decor: they did not close, even though the handyman working across the (very narrow) lane could see straight in my room..
Because of its location it is very noisy, so not a good choice if you are looking to rest. Breakfast was ok but not anywhere representative of good Belgian cooking.
The main problem was when I had to cancel my second stay 10 days later because of a change in schedule. I cancelled on their website - which is where I was asked to book, but surprise - he did not get that. So he happily charged my card with the full price and refuses to refund. Very unprofessional.
Good location but that is it.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Positives:
- location, location, location - block from the cathedral and lots of restaurants
- reasonable price
- very good breakfast
- staff/owners were very nice and accomodating
- good size TV with a lot of channels in multiple languages

Negatives:
- very steep and narrow stairs
- no shampoo, water glasses, and only 2 towels in a room for four
- credit card machine not working so cash only while holding a driver's license
- bed was too soft

Room Tip: The Junior suite had decent space for four, but it is on the third floor with very steep and narrow...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank MizzouLizard
Reviewed February 25, 2012

The hotel is very central and on first appearance has a charm.
our room (room 4 - comfortable double with terrace) was very cold on entering and felt neglected. The room was pretty bare, the furniture rickety and worn. The mattress sagged and on inspection was heavily stained. There were a lot of cobwebs round the aircon unit. the carpet was discoloured from bleach drips. My expectation from trivago was a 4 star boutique hotel. If you want a 2 star hostel central Antwerp you won't go wrong.
Don't bother booking breakfast at 10 euro. You would do better to get a croissant and roll at a local care for a fraction of the cost and with better service.

• Stayed: February 2012