“Like a home from home...”
Review of De Bok

De Bok
Ranked #103 of 1,266 Restaurants in The Hague
Cuisines: Irish, International
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Singapore
“Like a home from home...”
Reviewed July 19, 2012 via mobile

Dinner here last night with friends (all of us English, all long term residents in Den Haag). Thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and would recommend De Bok for some hearty pub grub (fish and chips, pies, scampi, steaks, etc.). I had a Mississipi burger, which lived up to its XL billing, and a couple of pints of Old Speckled Hen, which made a nice change from the ubiquitous Heineken. Eton Mess for dessert was excellent as well.

But the real highlight was the waitress, who was friendly, helpful and kept us entertained all evening, alternately 'mothering' us, sympathizing with our long 'exile' from the UK and keeping us laughing with her stories from the 34 years (!) she's run the place.

To sum up, it's a small place, so make a reservation - by all accounts the full English and the Sunday lunch are highlights and worth a visit - and go for the food. You'll go back for Gert, who's a wonderful character.

And as a postscript, if you enjoy De Bok, give The Sherlock Holmes in Surinamestraat in Archipel a try: it's another great homely English-style pub and is highly recommended.

2 Thank Andrew S

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Great Pub Food”
Reviewed June 8, 2012

If you are like myself and my partner and have been travelling for a while and missing the usual UK dishes this is the place to go. The pub is small and reminds me of an Irish bar, it may well actually be one, Im not too sure. We arrived at 7pm on a Friday night and the place was empty so we managed to get a table. Within 10 minutes of sitting down the place filled up and there were lots of tables booked so you may need to book in advance for a meal at night. The service was wonderful, the menu didn't have that many choices but what they did have varied. The had fish and chips, pie and chips, buffalo steak, spring rolls, won tons, quiche. I would now like to state that although the dishes are probably classed as pub food they are better than pub food. Our meals were well cooked and beautifully presented. I would definitely go back. I wouldn't go in wearing a jumper though, once the place fills up, it's roasting! It's also not the type of place for a romantic meal either, it is a pub as well so it can get noisy.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank Alex H
The Hague, Netherlands
“A taste of England in Holland :-)”
Reviewed April 22, 2012 via mobile

Finally decided to go to the famous cafe De Bok. Quite a few people have been telling about the place for ages, so we decided to go and have a full English breakfast.
Normal size or Gert's special... Just went for the second one... Delicious and plenty on the plate. As usual, but that's me, I could have eaten more bacon ;-) (though for any normal person, it's more than enough, and seeing how nice people are, I'm pretty sure I could have gotten more if I asked for it)
No clue about the rest of the food, but by judging other people's plates, it looked delicious. Next time maybe.
Concerning the place itself, it feels like one of those little countryside pub, cosy atmospehere, old wood, where one would as well have a breakfast, dinner, or a few pints of beer with friends :)

1 Thank ynop
Scotland
“Friendly and Good Food”
Reviewed April 22, 2012

We found this restaurant on TripAdvisor and thought we would give it a try. We hadn't made a reservation and the tables were full but owner welcomed us and said she would prepare us a table as soon as possible and invited us to have a drink at the bar whilst waiting. The food and choice was really good but the service was a little slow, although the owner did thank us for our patience (but we were aware it might be slow after reading other reviews) We were not in a hurry and had a really pleasant evening. Would we go back - Yes but aim for 6pm kick off to make sure at the beginning of service and hopefully not as long to wait.

• Visited April 2012
London, United Kingdom
“Found by chance the perfect Sunday afternoon eaterie”
Reviewed April 15, 2012

Found this place by chance and so glad we did. It has good honest food with an English flavour in an old pub like place that has a friendly Dutch feel too. I could have spent the whole day there - so relaxing, lovely owners, so friendly and the food well made and hearty for a Sunday. My vege friend was catered for as was I but resisted the full sunday roast lamb. Happy we found you - thanks for making us feel welcome - we hope to come back soon.

• Visited April 2012