“superb”
Review of Hotel La Ville

Hotel La Ville
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in The Hague
Hotel La Ville
Ranked #28 of 37 The Hague B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Excellent hotel, nice decor. Delicious breakfast and very friendly staff. I will certainly return here and highly recommend it!

We requested a late check-out and the hotel accommodated my group and I. Looking forward to our return trip.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed April 28, 2013

Honestly, this wasn't my first choice. But a host of meetings + the Keukenhof flower show took care of finding a room at my usual Hague haunts. Either there were none or at three times the cost. My organizer found La Ville for me and insisted it was really very nice. Still I dragged my feet going there.
My first impression of the area was not good. They're digging up the canal right across from the hotel, so the whole thing is surrounded by palisades and digging machines. I must say though that they're very quiet.

I was pleasantly surprised by the lobby. It's crisp and nicely decorated. The staff was welcoming and pleasant.
I deflated slightly going up the very steep carpeted stairs. The staircase looked a bit dingy (though clean). I gulped when I saw a door marked shower room on the landing.
But when I stepped into my room I changed my mind. Big, modern, very clean in white and grey, a large bed, a big flat screen and a little nook with a tiny table and two chairs. I had my own bathroom, quite large with a huge shower area. I did get hot water, even scalding at one point (maybe because I got up very early). The towels, nicely folded on the bed, are a little thin and scratchy but they do the job. You're given a little soap bar and a small packet of shampoo/shower gel. Wifi is free and it works.
The breakfast room is very pleasant and warm (beautiful pine tables). Breakfast was surprisingly good. Great bread. So was coffee (not always the case in Holland).

A few minuses:
- it took two very nice staff with two different maps not to be able to explain clearly how to walk downtown (it's actually very simple);
- construction works = no tram nearby
- thin walls. This is a frequent hotel complaint, but this hotel is not a business hotel and it's cheap, so there's a good chance of young tourists carousing late into the night. I was lucky that "my" crowd stopped giggling at 11:30pm.
- breakfast is served from 7:30 earliest. One would like to linger because the breakfast room is so nice, but when you have to leave at 7:45 for a meeting...
- if you have problems walking you'll have a problem with the stairs. No elevator.
- Doors slam. No matter how careful you are you cannot shut them quietly.
- A loud strange noise like someone mowing a lawn lasted for about five minutes coming from the common shower room next door. Either noisy pipes or maybe someone shaving? It started and stopped abruptly.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank imforestgirl
Reviewed December 16, 2012

The good:
- Location: The hotel is really close to one tram stop. This trams passes by the central train station of the Hague, so it is easy to reach. In addition, it is located in the center of the Hague, with a lot of sights nearby, in walking distance. I was there for business, but still appreciated the location of the hotel, since I could walk to the meeting place.
- Price: It was one of the cheapest hotels in the center of the Hague (slightly less than 90/night including breakfast). The rest were 120+ euros per night.
- The ground floor (reception and breakfast room) are really modern. Especially the breakfast room was well-decorated and cozy.
- Breakfast: Only limited selection available (coffee upon request, croissants, cheese/ham/bread and some additional stuff) but high quality. Still wondering if it was worth the 12,5 euros but it was rather nice in the end
- Bed: One of the most comfortable beds I have tried in a hotel. Big, nice, hard mattress and warm.
- Room: rather big, you wouldn't feel restricted in this one (2nd floor w/bathroom)
- Free Internet: Yes, there was a steady internet connection and available in the room (not only in the lobby). I always appreciate that!
- Staff: The staff was really friendly all the time. They were also kind enough to print my boarding passes before I left the hotel.

The bad:
- Cold: There was no air-condition nor any other mean of heating. I arrived in the Hague and it was almost snowing, so I would appreciate some heat. The only way I could find was to take a hot bath and wear my sweater on top of my clothes (in the room).
- Hot water: While during my 1st day there there was hot water, this was not the case for the last day, when I tried to take a quick hot shower.Unfortunately, in the morning the water was hardly warm, so I woke up for good before leaving the hotel!
- Shower: There was a loose piece on the shower screen (cubicle), which almost fell on me twice.
- There was no desk in the room, only a small table, that I could use for my laptop.
- Even though the overall interior of the hotel looked like a traditional old Dutch building (e.g. narrow stairs), it looked more than a university dormitory than a hotel (e.g. doors painted with oil paint).

In general I left with mixed impressions. There were basic things missing from the room and the breakfast buffet was rather poor (e.g. I was expecting at least some traditional stroopwafels) but the staff was kind and helpful and there was also free wifi. I would recommend the hotel for a cheap stay in the center of the Hague, as it was a decent one, but if I had more time I would try to discuss with the staff about these issues (unfortunately I was away from the room from early morning to late evening each day).

Room Tip: Make sure that you select a room with internal bathroom, if you do not want to share your bathroom w...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank vprot
Reviewed October 20, 2012

This hotel is not big en the stairs to the room are steep. But overall the rooms are comfortable with all basic. Not very modern but for the average tourist a good adrress. Also the breakfast is good with espacially a variety of fruits. The atmosphere is good and the owner and his personal take care of you in a very friendly way.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 20, 2012

La Ville is a two-star hotel in the centre of The Hague, just behind the royal palace. The location is good, within minutes of the main shopping area and next to tram line 17 to the central station.

Prices are low for The Hague. My budget room was basic and small (no place for a suitcase) and with shared facilities. The rooms are clean and have a good TV. The shared facilities were also well-cleaned. From other reviews, I understand the size and facilities differ greatly between the rooms.

There is a breakfast room / resataurant below. There are no staff on the premises at night. No elevator.

For the price, it’s a good deal in this area.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank BeyondBlame
Reviewed July 11, 2012

I stayed there for two nights. The location is very good close to the center. The stuff was very friendly. The room was clean, it had everything in it even an iron and a ironing board. It is suitable for a longer stay, because it had a kitchen.
The breakfast was delicious with many diverse fresh fruits.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 24, 2012

At first I was skeptical but I ended up really enjoying this hotel.
It definitely had the most character of any hotel we had on this trip.
The location is excellent. There is free parking directly in front of the hotel and the staff was very friendly.
The hotel is a mix of restaurant/bar with a hotel also attached with a separate entrance.
The stairs are old style canal house stairs. About 7 inches deep and 9 inches high. Your foot extends beyond the stair unless you turn it sideways. Also the stairwell is extremely narrow aside from going straight up.
The bed was very comfy although the comforter was so heavy you had to sleep half way out of it otherwise you were all sweaty. Half of me froze and the other half melted.
The room they put us in had a king bed and two twins, a small seating area and a kitchenette. The ceilings were plaster relief and about 10 feet high. We were on the second floor which was not bad considering the staircase. There was also a small veranda that opened onto the roof.
The bathroom was a bit tight, no place to set your toiletries except on the closed toilet and the shower was a bit small.
I have to say at first I was put off as this was more rustic than some of the other places we stayed this trip, but as we went on I really enjoyed it. It is not your typical McRoom and it was very comfortable. Its just 'old school'.
There is free wifi in the rooms and common areas.
I would definitely stay here again if I got the same room. (3b)

Room Tip: 3B is awesome.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple