“Very nice food but service could be better”
Review of India Palace - CLOSED

India Palace
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 30, 2013

For starters, this India Palace restaurant's food was really good and delicious (I love the fried fish and the mixed vegetable curry). However, they should improve on their customer service. Their online reservation was not working, and their telephone service was non-existant. It took me 4 tries to finally reached someone to book a table for dinner. They should have someone to man the phones because they may be losing business at this rate. If I didn't have a Groupon voucher, I would not persist in trying to visit this restaurant. No wonder the restaurant was quite empty when we went for our dinner. Shockingly, the lone waiter said he does not have our reservation, but because the restaurant was empty, we can sit anywhere we like. Anyway, around 7pm, the restaurant started to fill up and by 8pm, a huge group of Indians came and occupied the whole restaurant. They looked like either from a tour group or a huge family clan. They came, ate and went. The restaurant seems to only serve from the buffet, no a la carte menu. The buffet variety was not bad, and in addition, we also got some chicken tandoori, fried fish (fried fresh!) and excellent lamb curry and garlic naan. The waiter said the extra food was also part of the buffet. Wow, that was a lot of food for us. Throughout our stay there, we noticed that there is only one waiter to serve the whole restaurant. We could see the kitchen staffs filling up the buffet occasionally, but other than these, the restaurant's customer service is quite minimal. I can confirm that this restaurant has very good value for money. I know real and good Indian food as I grew up in Malaysia, and I can say that this India Restaurant serves good and delicous Indian food. They just have to improve their services (yes, I am repeating myself but I want to emphasize this, hoping their management will read my review).

There are newer reviews for India Palace

Reviewed April 27, 2013

I've been here with a group of friends with a Groupon voucher. It was all you can eat, normally you had to pay 17 euros, now it is around 10 euros. It was quite busy for a Friday night, a lot of Indian families seem to go here. The food was okay, especially the chicken, but there wasn't a lot of choice and they could be faster with refilling the buffet. There was a live band which played loud music and if you are not a big fan of the music like me, you won't like it.

Overall we had a good night but there was no "wow" moment and I wouldn't go back there.
If you are looking for the restaurant, when you are standing in front of the Kurhaus hotel, take the stairs to your left.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

We've been in Scheveningen Beach on 30th March,2013.We din't knnow about this restaurant at all.When we all started thinking of having a lunch in any Indian restaurant in Hague central, suddenly our eye fell on this restaurant. But only problem was that it opened at 4pm,that's quite late for having a lunch. Though we enjoyed the Buffet lunch at a very reasonable cost. I must say the food was very good. But i think there could be atleast one sweetdish as dat was a buffet and we Indians like to end our lunch by having sweets. and 1 thing there is no alacarte service in daytime.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

I am one more person who purchased a Groupon voucher for this place (actually two). Used both vouchers on two consecutive weeks and honestly, I'm surprised with the reviews here, apparently people had too high expectations.

The restaurant is in a very nice location close to the beach and one of the plus points is the atmosphere, a really large property with a flat screen in the middle, constantly showing Bollywood movies.

It's strange that when you walk in, there is nodody to welcome you, and when you can finally stop one of the waiters, he will tell you to just pick any available table.

The food qualiity is great, loved especially the lamb and the veg dishes. I don't particularly like spicy, so this was an exceptional thing for me. For those who do enjoy, they won't be disappointed.

The bad point, though, is the variety. Being an "all you can eat" restaurant, there should be more choice, and I don't believe Indian cuisine is so poor that that is all they have to offer.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

We also thought a Groupon deal for €17 was worth a try. Well, - we understand now why there is constant a Groupon deal for this restaurant - they would otherwise never get anyone to come.
We also tried to call to make a reservation - should have already had a premonition things were not good when no one answered the phone in the afternoon - I would have thought all restaurants have someone there to do that. When we finally did get through, we were told we should come at 1800 - but shouldn't come too late. When we did arrive - we were the 3rd party in the place - it was almost empty. We could pick any table - and thought a table by the window would be the best - but the tables there are packed in so tight we could not even fit in comfortably, so taking into consideration the "ocean view" was almost non existant - especially when it is dark - so we took a table in the middle of the floor. This meant 2 of us were looking at this huge video wall - great if you want to watch a soccer match but we didn't go to a restaurant to watch Hindi music videos - as attractive as they can be. Luckily it was not too loud, but still very disturbing and strange.
As far as the food goes - quality wise - it was edible - but that is about the best we can give it. For a buffet we thought it was very limited in its choices and not being an expert on Indian food we wondered if macaroni and tomato sauce is Indian?
All in all - our experience did not really live up to our expectations and we certainly would not repeat this - even with another Groupon deal - which they constantly repeat. If I was Groupon - I would ask why a restaurant has constant deals and should check if they want to be associated with restaurants of such quality.

1  Thank Alan D