“Been there, done that...” 2 of 5 bubbles

India Palace
Cuisines: Indian, Asian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating
“Been there, done that...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

We also thought a Groupon deal for €17 was worth a try. Well, - we understand now why there is constant a Groupon deal for this restaurant - they would otherwise never get anyone to come.
We also tried to call to make a reservation - should have already had a premonition things were not good when no one answered the phone in the afternoon - I would have thought all restaurants have someone there to do that. When we finally did get through, we were told we should come at 1800 - but shouldn't come too late. When we did arrive - we were the 3rd party in the place - it was almost empty. We could pick any table - and thought a table by the window would be the best - but the tables there are packed in so tight we could not even fit in comfortably, so taking into consideration the "ocean view" was almost non existant - especially when it is dark - so we took a table in the middle of the floor. This meant 2 of us were looking at this huge video wall - great if you want to watch a soccer match but we didn't go to a restaurant to watch Hindi music videos - as attractive as they can be. Luckily it was not too loud, but still very disturbing and strange.
As far as the food goes - quality wise - it was edible - but that is about the best we can give it. For a buffet we thought it was very limited in its choices and not being an expert on Indian food we wondered if macaroni and tomato sauce is Indian?
All in all - our experience did not really live up to our expectations and we certainly would not repeat this - even with another Groupon deal - which they constantly repeat. If I was Groupon - I would ask why a restaurant has constant deals and should check if they want to be associated with restaurants of such quality.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Alan D

München, Deutschland
“Hardly worth it...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

Service was leaning towards rudeness, food was OK but nothing special - however certainly overpriced for what it was.

And the atmosphere indeed was a bizarre mixture of cold waiting room and Indian tackiness that just didn't fit together. Not worth a repeat.

• Visited October 2011
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank sb75muc
“Dirty dieing restaurant...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2012 via mobile

The floor was sticky, strange stains in the seating of my chair, forks and spoons not cleaned well, table dirty. Everything felt not cleaned well, and in my lamb curry there was a big black hair. I just couldn't finish my dinner. The walking buffet was nice, choice from 10 dishes but most of it was cold. I am never gone go back there. I didn't get sick but I like good hygiene ... The employees where friendly, only spoke English.

3 Thank NvdHaar
The Hague, The Netherlands
“Best Indian restaurant in Holland -- so far”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2012

...this title may sound like a big compliment, when in fact most Indian food I've had has been pretty abysmally dumbed down and tasted like it came from a jar. But my partner and I went to chow down at the India Palace buffet and so got to sample a lot of different dishes -- all of which were better than any other Indian I've tasted in Holland in the 1.5 years I've lived here. Some were better than others, but at least they all tasted homemade.
The ambience is just okay (big-screen Indian music videos provided tacky entertainment), but the waitstaff were all polite and helpful. Overall, a comparatively decent dining experience.

• Visited March 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Norfolk, Virginia
“Good, standard curries”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2011

The India Palace serves a good range of the standard curry recipes. I ordered the chicken vindaloo and was pleasantly surprised when it turned out to be really hot and spicy, which is not always the case in some restaurants. The food was cooked and seasoned well and the naans had been freshly prepared. The drinks list was rather limited but importantly it did serve Indian beer. For those wanting good value for money, the restaurant also holds all you can eat curry buffet nights on selected evenings.

The restaurant is located close to the seafront and has a direct view of the beach and sea from some of the tables near the doorway. It is part of an arcade of shops and is very close to a nearby underground car park. The India Palace is large and also doubles as a venue for receptions and parties, judging by the disco ball and sound system.

Overall, a good curry house for those wanting a fix of well-prepared Indian food.

• Visited December 2011