“The Taste of Java”

Dining options: Reservations
Canberra
“The Taste of Java”
Reviewed November 22, 2013

Den Hague has great Indonesian food. At Warung Bude Kati you can have the real taste of Java at takeaway prices. The food - like most Indonesian street stalls - is precooked. You make your selection from about 25 different dishes and eat.

Of course there is food that needs to be cooked just before eating and you can order that but if your taste runs to curries, particularly spicy ones, then this is the place for you.

We had the Nasi Rames and another day the Nasi Campur. We were pleased with the selection of green beans, dendeng, eggplant, cucumber in vinegar, rendang, liver, peteh with chilli and sambal.

• Visited November 2013
6 Thank Ngunna

• Indonesian first
Utrecht, The Netherlands
“Authentic Javanese Restaurant - Yummy mie bakso”
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Okay, this review is coming from me, Indonesian, born and raised in Indonesia, now living in the Netherlands. Although most of the reviews are positive, I still need to defend my favorite warung (i.e. Indonesian small eating place - so not restaurant).

This place is the real deal, the place where you go for authentic Indonesian special food. Order the mie-bakso, tongseng, gulai or soto.
I know that most of western people will go for the Indonesian rice table and might found it disappointing because it is reheated. Well, as you probably do not know, most of Indonesian dishes that you find in the rise table take houuuurrrsss to cook, thus making it real fresh for you on your table will be absolutely impossible.

As for the decoration, it is warung, not restaurant, so the atmosphere should be very simple yet very friendly and informal. Do not expect fancy and beautifully decorated place, but for sure the food is good.

• Visited October 2013
5 Thank Risma S
Tournai, Belgium
“Not good”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

The service was very friendly, unfortunatelly the food was not good. Everything we ordered was re-heated, I guess if you eat it when is freshly made, it would be good but it was not the case. It was way too expensive for a re-heated food. I have better indonesian meals in the Hague.

• Visited August 2013
Delft, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
“Amazing service and great food!”
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I could immediately tell these people love to feed people - a great attribute in any restauranteur! The laid back setting made me feel as if I were getting a genuine, home-cooked indonesian meal. If you want authentic, this is where you go! It's a bit hidden, with a non-descript entryway...this made me all the more excited about finding a hidden treasure in Den Haag!

Also, I am a vegetarian and there were no first course options that I would have, so as a surprise, the kitchen sent me something they whipped up especially for me, on the house! Excellent value for money, and the food was really great. Overall, I definitely plan to return to Warung Bude Kati. Highly recommended!

• Visited April 2013
3 Thank Stephanie G
Ottawa, Canada
“Excellent Value and Wonderful Rice Table”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

I chose this restaurant based on its great reviews. It is plain but has excellent food and great service. I came for the Rice Table whcih is an Indonesian dish very popular in the Netherlands and the Dutch Antilles (Aruba, Curacao and Bonaire). It is a bit like curry where there are many dishes. There were only two of us but the waiter (the owner or a relative of the owner) recommended a reasonably priced choice that was excellent, filling and included a wide variety of very tasty dishes. This was the best expression of the Rice Table I have had in many years and it was very reasonable. If you are in Den Haag or nearby Leidschendam I recommend coming here for a meal, it is worth the taxi ride...

• Visited March 2013