Grand Hotel Amrath Kurhaus The Hague Scheveningen
Paleis Hotel(The Hague)
$135
$131
  • Room Service
The Hague Marriott Hotel(The Hague)
$112
  • Pool
$133
$125
  • Restaurant
Hilton The Hague(The Hague)
$212
$114
Agoda.com
  • Pool
1,450 results
All reviewswaves restaurantfree mini barball roomhistoric buildingbeautiful hotela sea view roomexecutive roomreception desknice roomparking garageenjoyed my stayrestaurants and barsden haagminibarscheveningenboulevardchandeliers
Reviewed May 5, 2013

The Steigenberger Kurhaus Hotel in Den Haag is a historic property offering a unique experience for travelers to the heart of The Netherlands. When considering this hotel it is important to understand that while this is a beautiful property, it is not a business hotel. It is the type of hotel you take your partner on the weekend and pretend that you really enjoyed it, but in reality you could not wait to leave.

I have stayed in a number Steigenberger properties in Europe and I was truly surprised to experience how poorly run the Kurhause Hotel was. I sensed trouble when I arrived. The small driveway in front of the hotel was packed with cars, with no doorman or other staff ensuring guests had access to the front door. My taxi dropped me one block away at which time I schlepped by bags down the street to the hotel. Check-in was good, but they had my name wrong on the reservation which caused delay.

The room was a standard European hotel room which for you American readers means room for one and not the family. The bathroom was small with no place to organize your shaving gear or other items. The shower was one of those dreaded tub showers with the plastic shield that does not shield, resulting in water all over the floor, which you then have to use your second towel to dry.

The bed was comfortable with a good quality down comforter. My room had a small balcony with a two top table, but it was disgustingly dirty, covered with bird droppings. The privacy lock on the door didn't work.

The INTERNET service, which was very expensive, was also very-very slow. It reminded me of the old dial up speeds.

The hotel rooms are in two different wings, with no well defined signage allowing guests to easily become lost. You’ll find yourself wandering around looking for your room, only to realize you are in the wrong wing.

Like many business travelers, I like to exercise when traveling. At the Kurhaus I found a small poorly equipped exercise facility with limited equipment, poor quality equipment and no feeling they were interested in providing a proper facility. It had the feel of a few spare pieces of equipment shoved in a storage room.

Breakfast is held in the historic center of the hotel. Service was poor, coffee was hard to find and I constantly had to ask for refills. The breakfast food included fresh fried eggs, but when I asked for egg whites I was given a stern look and my request was rather reluctantly met. There were a number of guests in the hotel during my stay and several times the breakfast food was poorly stocked. I found the food OK - not impressive.

Then the power went out. On the first morning of my stay the power shut down about 05:00. I travel extensively in my job and things happen in a hotel. Water pipes break, elevators (lifts) stop, and such. In this case the power loss could not have happened at a worse time – just as guests were awakening and readying themselves for the day. The difference is how these issues are handled by the staff. In this case the Kurhaus staff failed to tell guests anything. You had to inquire and when you did all you were told very sternly was “we are working on it”. When I inquired at the front desk I received another stern response. Never did anyone apologize, offer a torch, or otherwise act like they were concerned at all.

In summation, this is a nice building – somewhere you might want to stop and have a drink to enjoy the historic building, but it is not a properly functioning business hotel and I would avoid it.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank IndyGuynside
kurhausscheveningen, Deptuy General Manager at Grand Hotel Amrath Kurhaus The Hague Scheveningen, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

Dear guest,

Please be as kind to contact our Executive office directly via executiveoffice@kurhaus.nl in order to
discuss this matter further.

Reviewed May 1, 2013

This hotel is part of the german Steigenberger group. They know how to run up market hotels. The Dutch Kurhaus hotel in Scheveningen (near The Hague) really is worth all of its 5 stars. The building is majestic. The history - with famous guests and performers like The Rolling Stones - is impressive. The building used to house the first Dutch cinema (in 1897!). The 253 rooms have been renovated and have all amenities you would expect or wish. Dining and having breakfast in the Kurhaus is an experience in itself: super good food and the Kurzaal space with the dome, painted ceilings, bright and big sparkly chandeliers is like a fairy tale. We have stayed here before and will definately return.
The only thing that most 5 star hotels have, but the Kurhaus does not, is a swimming pool. But then again, you are staying almost IN the northsee. Who needs a swimming pool:-)

Room Tip: Go for the sea view rooms. They have balconies looking out on the northsea. Worth the extra money!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
kurhausscheveningen, Deputy General Manager at Grand Hotel Amrath Kurhaus The Hague Scheveningen, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for your positive review and we hope to welcome you back in the near future!

Reviewed April 8, 2013

During several trips to The Hague in the past months I’ve stayed in different rooms at the top (executive) floor of the Kurhaus hotel. The rooms are regular European four star standard - maybe a bit outdated and overpriced. Some of them offer a nice sea-view, though.

Here’s what really turned my last stay into a bad experience:

To my great surprise, the hotel imposed a smoking-fine of 150 Euros even though I’ve never smoked in the room. My request for an explanation was answered by the manager on duty. In his response he states that he has two witnesses and -I quote- that’s all the evidence he needs.

Without any further information I don’t know who these witnesses are - all I know is that they are wrong (if they ever existed) because I know for a fact that I never smoked smoked in the room.

I don’t like to be called a liar and I don’t like to be taken advantage of, so -obviously- I won’t spend another night in that place.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
6  Thank Keyser S
kurhausscheveningen, Hotel Manager at Grand Hotel Amrath Kurhaus The Hague Scheveningen, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

Dear guest,

We would like to offer you our sincere apologies for this situation. It is a real shame that you have experienced the Kurhaus in this way, this is absolutely not the standard we uphold.

Please be as kind to contact us via executiveoffice@kurhaus.nl in order to find a solution together.

Yours sincerely,

Samantha S. Fulton
Hotel Manager

Reviewed April 4, 2013

Stayed here on a business trip in March 2013.
Rooms were nice enough in the new part, although one colleague had a dingy un-renovated room. Only oddity was the door to the bathroom: glass, as is fashionable, but with a hole for a door handle, making sure any noise travels even better. Do you really want to stay here if you are a couple? My view of the beach was obstructed by a huge billboard.
We waited nearly 45 minutes in the bar for an order of soup. Most impressive and not cheap.
Found out very abruptly in the morning that my room had a (locked) communicating door to the next room when the neighbour turned the TV on full blast well before 7 am. Lovely.
I then forgot my phone charger, which the hotel wanted nearly EUR 30 to send within Europe, half of it "admin charges". They were totally unapologetic, referring to "policy".
Good bureaucrats, but not what I expect from a wanna-be top hotel.
Don't forget anything there if you do stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Dear guest,
What a shame to read that your stay was not truly to your satisfaction.
Please be as kind to contact our Executive Office via executiveoffice@kurhaus.nl so we can make sure your next stay with us will be absolutely perfect.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

We booked two rooms 170 Euro per nightper room (breakfast not included) and were looking forward to a few quiet nights in the historic hotel. The first night was a bit of a disappointment, as we we put in one of the 'traditional rooms' or in other words, rooms they dump you in first and see whether you settle on it or not. Those rooms had a furniture from about 20 years ago and (non flat) TV that was probably even older than that. After my chat with the reception next morning, we we quickly relocated to the modern wing where everything was tip top, as expected. Certainly an interesting learning about behaviours of hotel, no matter ow luxurious!!!

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Dear guest,

Thank your very much for leaving a comment on Tripadvisor.
We are very happy that you have enjoyed the room which we have moved you to.
Please contact us when making your next reservation and we will make sure your next stay will be perfect.