“Nice one”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Lunen, Germany
“Nice one”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

My first idea to be close to beach in Sheveningen but I found out that this hotel is not so far away. You can use a tram, of course, but to walk is about 30 minutes (with small children). Anyway, it is placed quite nicely. A few stations with the public transportation to the city center, few, as I said, to the beach and that is what makes him the best one. It is also not too expensive, quiet and the breakfast buffet is good enough. I've better once, also, but this one answers to all needs. Only one thing I did not understand. Stuff in breakfast area closes some regions, I mean some tables, and when they see you waiting, they remove the restrictions and you can seat where ever you want. Why? That was odd. All in all, I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Berg aan de Maas
Reviewed August 20, 2013

The reason we choose Novotel World Forum is that there is a possibility to stay with 2 children in one room. The rooms were recently renovated and look very modern. There is a desk, flat- screen TV and minibar available. The beds are good and a nice shower can be taken in a new and clean bathroom. We had breakfast included for a fair price but it was not worth € 20,-. There are shops and restaurants nearby in the area called Statenkwartier and the Museon, a museum for science and culture is only a five-minute's walk away. You can safely park your car in the underground parking for an additional charge. It is very hard to find a public parking space in this area. Don't forget to enjoy the view from the elevator.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
krijntaat, General Manager at Novotel Den Haag World Forum, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Dear guest,

I am happy to read you enjoyed your stay in our hotel. I would like to thank you for taking the time and rate our property. Hopefully we can welcome you in the future again.

Arlington, Virginia, USA
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for over a week while in The Hague for business. The hotel is very well located for business in the Statenkwartier of The Hague, and is reasonably close to the beach and the city center (a short tram ride to either). The exterior of the hotel is not particularly welcoming, and when I first arrived I was very turned off by the front entrance (I didn't even realize we'd arrived at the hotel!). It was a forewarning I should have heeded...

The room was clean and spacious enough, with modern furnishings, but amenities were definitely lacking. I found the shampoo and soap (forgot to pack either) of very poor quality. The towels, as another reviewer noted, were thin and not at all soft. I found the bed to be very firm, but not uncomfortable, but the pillows were lumpy and unpleasant (some kind of cheap foam?). There was a minibar in the room that was empty - but you can at least use it as a refrigerator.

There was coffee and tea provided in the lobby each morning, which was nice. The breakfast had a nice spread with good hot and cold options. There is also a lobby bar which seems to have a problem with fruit flies, as they were everywhere and kept landing on the drink glasses of myself and my colleagues.

Service, in general, was pretty unremarkable. Although aside from check-in and check-out I had minimal contact with the staff. I may have rated the hotel 3-stars rather than 2, were it not for the unexpected breakfast charges at check out... To summarize the issue, some colleagues and I were told at check-in that our room rate included breakfast, but at check out we were charged for each breakfast, and despite my assertions that we were told breakfast was included, they refused to remove the charges. I have never had a similar experience in all my travels, it was simply inexcusable. The breakfasts are not cheap (20 EUR each), and I would not have partaken of them at all had I known that I was going to be charged. The clerk and manager (I assume he was manager, as the clerk repeatedly consulted with him) stated that the restaurant was a third party and they could not remove the charges. I don't care whose mistake it was, but as we were specifically told the meals were included (which we each repeatedly confirmed as we checked in to our respective rooms), there is no way we should have been charged. A colleague who checked out later than I did had success having half of the breakfasts removed from his bill, so clearly they are capable of removing the charges, but simply chose not to. Frankly, they are probably deserving of a 1-star rating because of their shady billing!

So, I will not stay at this hotel during future trips to The Hague, nor will I recommend it to others. There are better hotels very close by, and far better hotels if you are willing to stay in/around the city center.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel. Sadly you didn't have the same experience as most of our guest, my apologies for that. I am grateful that you are very precise in what you thought was lacking in the hotel.
Would you be able to contact me about the breakfast charges? Please send a mail to h5389-rd@accor.com, and I will investigate what happened.

Hong Kong
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I stayed at the Novotel Den Haag World Forum for 5 days, as I had to be in that neighborhood for the duration of that week. No other reason I can think of really to justify staying here. This is a great example of what happens when 'management' is trying to save dollars & cents on guest essentials. It offers the bare minimum in any kind of amenities that I have ever encountered on my travels. In the bathroom you find 1 piece of soap, 1 shampoo (and conditioner in one) and a bath gel, two towels that are so thin that you can practically see through them. 1 pillow on each bed (stayed in a twin as no king available..), a literally empty mini-bar, etc. The word 'Spartan' came to mind.
Fortunately, I did not spend much time in the room or the hotel. The lobby is fully tiled and appears 'hard' and impersonal. Service was, with the exception of the sole male employee behind the front desk who seemed good and helpful, not memorable.
The breakfast room is absolutely terrible, despite the breakfast not being too bad in fact (catered by a third party!). The room is so dark that each table has candles. For breakfast!? The service there was appalling with the staff mainly engaged in chit chat amongst themselves rather than dealing the guests. I have no idea why they were there. If the management looks for further savings, then look no further than the payroll of the breakfast staff. There were just a few guest there but I was looking hard for a table that was not dirty or cleared, while staff was happily chatting away. Amazing. They didn't even have to serve coffee as guests need to get that themselves too...
As mentioned here earlier, the car park is charged and unfortunately this was not mentioned anywhere in the hotel nor did staff mention anything when they offered to validate my car park ticket daily. This set me back euro 15 per entry daily. Not good and a bit cheeky.
All in all, unable to recommend this hotel. There are plenty of much better options in the vicinity.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed July 19, 2013

I stayed in the hotel as an attendee of a conference in the World Forum. I recommend the hotel for conference attendees and for other visiting The Hague.

Positives:
- the hotel is co-located with the World Forum. It is an extremely convenient location for conference attendees.

- the bedrooms are comfortable with twin beds (no double beds, as far as I could tell from other conference attendees), satellite TV, fridge, safe, coffee/tea-making facilities, excellent free wi-fi, and fine shower.

- the area surrounding the hotel is quiet. You will get a good night's sleep, even if your room faces the street.

- the hotel is a short walk away from two tram stops that get you downtown or to the beach front area in minutes. The trams are very easy and safe to use.

Negatives:

- If your room rate does not include breakfast, you will not enjoy paying E19.95 for a very average breakfast in the rather dark and dull restaurant. I did not eat lunch or dinner at the hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
krijntaat, General Manager at Novotel Den Haag World Forum, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am very glad you pointed out so many positive points about our hotel. One thing I would like to correct is that we do have double bedded rooms, maybe when arriving not available anymore.
hopefully when visiting Den Haag, you will choose our hotel again!

The Hague
Reviewed July 17, 2013

The hotel is clean, with warmly decorated rooms. Very crowded on the weekend, not enough food for the breakfast..or it was not replenished fast enough..our room could have been cleaner there was lots of hair on the carpet .

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed July 10, 2013

I only stayed here once for 2 nights. Only because Carlton Beach was over booked.
The 2nd day my toothbrush was gone when I got back in the evening.
Rooms are OK, bar and breakfast too.
I will not stay here any more because my private things were clearly a subject of I don't want to know what.

Room Tip: watch your belongings.