“Convenient Location”

Babylon Hotel Den Haag
Ranked #14 of 68 Hotels in The Hague
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed June 22, 2012

I stayed there on a business trip to The Hague for three nights. The location is convenient, right next to Central Station. My room was ok, clean, maybe a bit small. Staff at reception and in the bar were friendly. Very modern, interesting decorations.
Disappointing that there is no Wifi in the room, only internet per cable and even that did not work on the second day.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,639)

Reviewed June 19, 2012

Very good hotel, room size more than adequate. Excellent breakfast - combination of European and American items (bacon & eggs). Mostly business people during the week; on the weekend tourists. Biggest plus is central location next to train station, trams and a few blocks from the city center. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Very quiet on the back side.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WALTER L
Reviewed June 17, 2012

On a recent trip to Holland, I spent one night in the Hampshire Babylon hotel. The staff was very efficient, and the rooms nice. A little on the small side, but the location makes up for it. This hotel is 5 min. walk out the front of the Den Haag Central train station. I won't hesitate to go back the next time I am in The Hague. I did not have breakfast although it is offered, nor eat in the restaurant.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed June 12, 2012

but the breackfast was boring the same every day
the service was excelent and the staff are very kind
Not all travellers eat like the people of here
so some change in the breackfast can be of much improve

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 12, 2012

A well appointed, very modern business hotel situated right by Central Station, near to a pleasant park. However, you get the feeling the staff can't really be bothered.

I was arriving by car, and I noticed that the location shown on their website does not correspond with the description of it being by the station. I emailed a query, and got an apology for the fact that this was 'confusing': They clarified by re-stating their address. Yet they have not corrected it on their website. Also, they publish, separately, instructions as to how to find them by car. Still concerned, I emailed again, and was given the address of the car park. When I arrived, I could not get to the hotel this way as there were roadworks. Given that the staff knew I was arriving by car, you'd think they would have pointed this out! Later, I was (deliberately, I suspect) misinformed when I asked how to get to different hotel.

Other niggles: the shower screen did not keep the water in the bath, resulting in a wet floor. Also the shower was weak with a fluctuating water temperature, whereas the bath water flowed with great strength.

I heard other guests complaining about internet access. At 18 Euros, I thought the breakfast too expensive, and declined it. You cannot get directly from the car park into the hotel.

So, for myself, I rather disliked this hotel: but if you arrive by train at Central Station, it isn't bad, for a business hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 3, 2012

It is a very pleasant place to stay mainly because of the staff. In all places they were pleasant and helpful.
I was disappointed that there is only cable access to the internet as it is slow and closed itself down.
I would prefer a warmer room but I wore my wrap while working.
I found the balconies strange. Glass divides each balcony so privacy is limited.
MH75

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 30, 2012

Getting to this hotel is the first issue. It's right next to the central railway station which is why I chose it. Trouble is that many trains only stop at Den Haag HS, which leaves the traveller confused and with a long walk with heavy bags. I did not see a single taxi on the way. On arrival the staff were very friendly and helpful. The hotel is bright and cheery and appears quite new. My hopes rose. They sank again when I got to the room. It's all in brown tones with a bizarre tartan carpet. Ok I thought, I will have a bath and relax. Next problem--there was no soap in the bathroom. In fact no toiletries at all! Just a liquid soap dispenser over the wash basin and a liquid body wash dispenser over the bath. The latter was empty. I rang reception to complain.

Oh well I thought, I will catch up with my email, and pulled out my iPad. Next problem---there is no wifi in the rooms! If you are a dinosaur traveling with a lap top then you are in luck as you can plug it in, so long as you are prepared to pay for it, but no wifi.

I enjoyed a good meal at the nearly empty hotel restaurant, and found the young waiter to be especially helpful, and retired to bed. I cannot complain about the bed. It was blissfully comfortable. By the time I awoke however, I had to race for my breakfast, which I had prepaid, and had an unseemly struggle with the waitstaff as I grabbed a few scraps like a stray dog as they snatched the breakfast trays away.

As I write this I am sitting in the hotel lobby, where they have wifi. An English businessman is checking out, complaining that the hotel had no hot water this morning, and that he had not experienced such a fault in twenty years of traveling. The man at the desk gave a long and detailed technical explanation, which is not what the guest wanted. He left saying that he expected the hotel to lift its game, or he would never stay here again.

I agree. This could be a very good hotel, but it let's itself down on matters of detail, leaving customers dissatisfied. It must lift it's standards or the hotel will fail.

Room Tip: Ask for a room without the tartan carpet, with bathrrom toiletries, and with hot water,if they have...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business