“Conveniently located, solid business hotel”

Hampshire Hotel - Babylon Den Haag
Ranked #16 of 67 Hotels in The Hague
GreenLeadersGold level
Worcester, United Kingdom
“Conveniently located, solid business hotel”
Reviewed April 27, 2012

Next to Haag Central station. Short stroll to shops, bars and restaurants. Lovely woods across the road for relaxing stroll or pleasant jog. Rooms good, iron & ironing board, flat TV, free Internet access, bed comfy, easy to use safe, fridge. Shower lacks pressure, difficult to control room temperature and no gym. Breakfast was nice but expensive (17.5 Euros per person). Staff friendly and helpful.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Singapore, null, Singapore
Reviewed April 26, 2012

Reason why we stayed in this hotel was of its location, close proximity to the train station. Travelled with 2 adults and 2 young children aged 3 & 6.
Upon arrival, checking in was dead slow despite having an online reservations. After check in, non-smoking room was not ready and had to come back after 5 pm. We returned at 6 pm and had a rude shock and afterwhich it started our most terrible hotel stay experience ever.

At 6pm, we were escorted into the hotel room by a lady receptionist. She informed us the hotel 'rigid' policy of max 2 pax in a room. It was not our first time travelling, I know 2 adults & 2 aged 12 and below children are a norm in most hotels in the world. Most online booking websites allow 2 adults + 2 child (aged 12 and below) option. . We argued back about their policy and asked for their understanding as our children were very young. The lady recept gave us a stern warning regarding fire safety. She showed no empathy and inflexiblity to understand our plight. We ended up in a predicament - since the hotel policy was only 2 pax in a room, they urged us to book another room for all our stay in Den Haag. Next, she told us all standard rooms were fully booked which means only the superior rooms were available. We needed to discuss. At that time, both my children were tired and worn out. We still had to decide quickly whether to leave the callous hotel or to put up with the hotel's nonsense.

We called the nearest hotel - Novetel City Centre, sadly they were full for the night but we could move over the following day. Novetel told us they had triple room and IT WAS CHEAPER AND NICER than Babylon. The staff from Novetel sounded nice and friendly and best of all empathise with our situation.

By 7pm, my husband walked out to meet his colleague who was staying in Den Haag to let him bunk in for a night in his home as the hotel was chasing us out.

Shortly after my husband left the room, I called the recept to ask for some towels and the same lady recept came to deliver towels. She reminded me that only 2 pax per room and she left. (note this part because I thought she left but she did not and was eavesdropping on us.)

At 8pm my hubby came back to shower and packed his belongings. So I called the recept to convey our decision and to make sure I wont be charged for the next 3 nights. The same lady recept picked up the phone and reassured us only 1 night will be charged. Before I could hang up the phone, she began to question me as she overheard me talking to my husband, obviously we were being spied. I was so mad and furious that I could no longer tolerate her. With my husband in the shower and me focusing on the phone, I did not realise my son fell and hurt his right eyelid. He was crying loudly and my eldest son was yelling for attention, no way I could concentrate on the phone. Yet I was still being interrogated for no reason. She did not care if the room were filled with screaming and shouting.

I hung the phone and turned to my bleeding son, I was terrified. I walked out of my room in bathroom and slippers to confront the lady from the front desk.

When the elevator door opened on ground floor, I was dashing towards the front desk. Unfortunately, there were lots of onlookers. Her first word to me was : Madam, there are other hotel guests, please lower your volume and do not shout in the lobby like an uneducated Chinese!!!

I scolded her for indirectly causing stress in our family. She smiled at me and pushed the blame back to me : Madam, it is your duty to look after your own child not my responsibility. My duty is to ensure that the room can only accomodate 2 pax max for safety issue. This is the hotel and the management policy. My job is to make sure only 2 guests are in the room. The lady recept main concern was not to give first aid to my son. Next she started with her hallucinations that I was talking to my husband. I asked her to prove as I knew my husband went out to buy dinner. She said the hotel cameras were the best evident. The last thing (and the most terrible) she said was security guards were allowed to open the guests room door to check the room as they have spare keys.

Woo Hoo Hoo, so this hotel actually have the rights to peek and eavesdrop and spy and argue and racist and enter freely to check out the rooms and need not give first aid to a bleeding child on the eye!!!!

So now, who can feel safe staying in such a hotel? Despite the need to comply by their 2 pax max rule, I still have to worry about being checked in the middle of the night. Finally, I pleaded my husband not to go to his colleague's house for the night and stay with us as I cant cope with a teary son. And throughout the night, no one came knocking so it was just a hoax!

So readers, decide for yourself if this is the kind of hotel to stay when u visit Den Haag?

Lastly, the reason why my son got hurt was because there were sharp metal edges all around the hotel room. Its part of their interior design.

PS : My son still have a small scar on his right eyelid. If I did not comply to Babylon's Hotel Policy, who am I going to ask for compensation over a scar that can never be erased???

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Bebesha
London
Reviewed April 24, 2012

Pro's; next to the train station; big, clean, comfortable room; good quality and value in the restaurant and bar.
Con's; an empty mini bar; no wi-fi in the room; no iron and ironing board in the room; no water pressure in the shower; impossible to use the basin without either banging your head on the shelf that it's under, or flooding the floor.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 24, 2012

Hotel is adjacent to the central railway station - very easy to reach if coming by train.
Our booking was prepaid - so we figured all we need do was just turn up, maybe let reception take a photocopy of a passport and we can then go to the room. Alas no...

We had only cash (a mix of pounds, dollars and a small amount of euros [to pay for a restaurant that night]) and no cards that would work in the Netherlands. Reception was insistent that we had to leave a card imprint or 50 euros cash in case we used hotel services - even though they confirmed that the minibar had already been emptied. The requirement to leave a deposit after prepayment of the room was not clearly advertised - had it been made clear at the time of booking, I would have ensured I had a credit card on me.

While I had 52 euros cash on me, I wasn't prepared to give up all my cash, and then be unable to buy any food for supper that evening and go hungry that night. The menu in the hotel restaurant looked expensive and bland - did not justify eating there when a 10 minute walk gave a large choice of restaurants.

We explained that we could leave cash dollars or cash pounds, but this was not accepted - and were sent to a bureau de change that had closed over an hour earlier. When we returned to the hotel and explained that the bureau de change was closed, the response was hostile and not helpful.

In the end reception agreed to take pounds cash as a deposit against us possibly eating at the hotel - the room was prepaid after all - (although they said they couldn't give a proper receipt for the money), but the welcome we were given was sufficiently hostile that we could only think of spending our time somewhere else - it seemed like by staying here we were being a burden to the staff.

I'm fine with a hotel wanting a card imprint when the room has not yet been paid. If a customer pays cash for the room or has prepaid, plenty of hotels have internal systems that tell staff in the restaurant if there is no card imprint and to therefore ask for cash payment - thus permitting a stay without forcing a deposit at check-in.

While the cash was returned on check out, I can't recommend this as a place where staff will make an effort to help their guests.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank pmbma
Ljubljana
Reviewed March 29, 2012

The hotel has great location - next to Den Haag Central train station. It is voncenient to explore the city on foot.
Room in the second floor was rather small and nothing special.
Breakfast was good.
Hotel is OK, but nothing special. It is worth visiting it because of its location.

Room Tip: Do not take room in the second floor.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Fragi
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed February 10, 2012

This hotel is right next to Den Haag Centraal Train station which makes it very convenient. Their Restaurant "The LivingRoom" is very good and serves multiple dishes that an Americans will enjoy, including a burger, and Ben & Jerry's Ice cream. Staff is quite friendly, multi-lingual, including English and very helpful. Close walk to lots of food, bars, etc.

Some reviews noted that the rooms were cold. I was there in the coldest time of the year and I would agree. The thermostats max out at 23C (73F) but the room was typically topping out at 21C (69.8F) as the radiators fought the cold from the windows. The room I stayed in was a Jr. Suite which had a king size bed. The beds are very comfortable. Bathroom had a tub/shower combo that was updated and nice. Room had flat screen TVs which were useless as everything on them had a daily charge.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Alkmaar, The Netherlands
Reviewed January 29, 2012

This was a very nice stay in Hotel Babylon. The Staff was very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was delicious. It's just around the corner of Central Station and walking distance to the city centre.
The only thing was that we could hear the aircondition/heating system all night long eventhough it was switched off.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple