“Bland food in a nice setting”

Indonesisch Restaurant Garoeda
Reserve with
Indonesisch Restaurant Garoeda is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #304 of 1,336 Restaurants in The Hague
Cuisines: Indonesian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Voorhout
Reviewed January 6, 2013

This is the third and most famous Indonesian restaurant I visited in the Hague and the overall experience was somewhat disappointing. The good: great central location in the Hague, interior is cosy & service mostly friendly/quick. The bad: the rijsttafel we ordered (the E 26.75 one) was disappointing due to its bland taste (with the exception of the chicken sate). The problem is that I've had better and for the money we paid (and the name Garoeda) I expected simply more tasty food.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

The other Indonesian restaurants above Garoeda in The Hague must be very good because my my meal was excellent. I expect most people just go for the rijsttafel which is a Dutch adaptation of an Indonesian Feast. I choose fried Petai, Ikan Bilis, Long Beans in coconut, and Chicken Livers and the tastes were "authentic" but with enough modern variations to make for a great experience. Other reviewers who complain about dishes should not go to an Indonesian Restaraunt because many Indonesian dishes - particular the ones that are chilli hot are served and left to cool.

Reviewed November 23, 2012

We decided to choose an Indonesian restaurant for our evening out in The Hague. Garoeda is conveniently located near the center and government buildings. We were seated at a window table in a slightly hidden corner of the restaurant. We ordered a rijsttafel which arrived promptly. All the warm dishes were excellent, but too many of the dishes were cold food . Nonetheless, the meal tasted very good. What annoyed me was, that we never spotted the waiter after he had served our food. No enquiring whether we enjoyed our meal, or whether we wanted another drink. Finally we had to go in search of him to ask for the bill. So, service wise I would not go there again.

Reviewed October 6, 2012

Quiet atmosphere, beautiful building with very large windows. We were 4 and took a "rijsttafel". Service was quick and correct. From the approximately 10 different dishes we got, 2/3 was good to excellent (especially the saté with peanut sauce was excellent), but 1/3 was rather poor. Maybe we did not make the right menu choice? Next time we should maybe try a rijsttafel with more different dishes.

Reviewed October 2, 2012

Been eating there of and on over the years. The atmosphere is wonderful. The food is very good. The service enjoyable. Writing this I decided that it is high time for me to go there again. It has been to long. This is one of the two best restaurants in its sort in The Hague.