“Nice hotel in nice neighborhood”
Review of Quartier Du Port

Quartier Du Port
Ranked #29 of 52 Hotels in Rotterdam
Atlanta
“Nice hotel in nice neighborhood”
Reviewed September 26, 2007

I stayed at the Grand Hotel Philadelphia for four nights in early September and enjoyed my stay. The hotel was booked for me (at my request, after viewing the list of potential lodgings) by the organizers of a meeting, so I don't know the exact rate. The hotel is located near the waterfront, in a neighborhood that was historically apparently a bit iffy, but has now been quite thoroughly gentrified, with upmarket restaurants, etc. (many right across the street in a renovated warehouse called Westerlijk Handelsterrein). The hotel is lovely, with the downstairs reception area and breakfast room/bar being old-fashioned, but the rooms being modern, with every convenience.

My room was on the first floor, facing the street (almost certainly the same room as described in another review here, as one of the wardrobe doors has still not been replaced). A tram that goes to Centraal runs right in front of the hotel---as it heads in the opposite direction before making an approximately 10 minute loop and then returning, this was very convenient, as it gave me time to put on my shoes and coat before going downstairs to step right on (you can buy your ticket from the conducter, but note that you can also buy passes valid for 24 hrs from the same conducter, very convenient if you're touring). I did not find the noise bothersome during the day, and if you shut the windows (and operate the air conditioning, necessary on my perhaps unseasonably warm visit) the noise is no longer an issue. The windows are huge, but have very good black out curtains that you can draw at night (and will want to, as the front of the hotel is illuminated, so too much light for me to sleep unless I did).

The room was large, and featured a king-size bed, desk, satellite TV, and table (and free-standing wardrobe---I didn't use the safe, so can't comment). The bathroom was enormous, with a separate stall shower and bathtub.

The staff was friendly, and security is very good: after hours you have to be buzzed in by the night clerk. Breakfast was typical Dutch: meats, cheeses, bread, spreads (including chocolate sprinkles), yogurt, fruit, fresh squeezed orange juice, hot beverages (coffee not great, though you can ask for an espresso).

I would stay here again without hesitation, and have recommended it to friends.

• Liked — Accomodations
  • Disliked — Some street noise at night, so windows closed
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank yamakake

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Durban
Reviewed September 26, 2007

I stayed at the Grand Hotel Philadelphia with a friend of mine recently. We stayed for 5 nights and shared a twin room. The room was excellent, quite large, and absolutely clean. I think the hotel has been recently renovated. It is quite modern and has lovely decor. I absolutely enjoyed my stay. The only possible negative aspect is that there is no room service, and that the restaurant only opens for functions so you'd have to go out for dinner, but this is not such a problem cos there are lots of eating houses in a complex across the road. There is also a tram stop a few steps away from the entrance so exploring Rotterdam is easy. The staff are also pleasant. The reception area is not so great looking so at first you will be disappointed, but do not despair the rooms will make up for that.

Stayed September 2007
haarlem, netherlands
Reviewed July 22, 2007

I always asked for the same superieur room, but this time they gave me a de luxe room for a superieur price. The room was smaller and on the front side of the hotel which is very noisy.
I asked for the room I made a reservation for but it didn't help me at all.
In the room there is a wardrobe. The door of the wardrobe was hanging out.
I also had problems with the safe.
Conclusion: the hotel can't garantee anymore the service the had a year ago. Especially not when they are complete.
It not nice when they let you pay than the web page told you.

Stayed July 2007
2 Thank delphine66
london
Reviewed July 2, 2007

My boyfriend and I stayed at Hotel Philadelphia for one night last week. I have to say our room was lovely and very nicely decorated. The staff were helpful and friendly and I would have no problem recommending this hotel to anyone. Its location is superb, in the shipping quarter with about a 15min walk to the centrum or else you can just hop on a tram that passes by the hotel quiet regularly.

The only negative I would say was that breakfast was not included in the price. All the other hotels we stayed in in the Netherlands included breakfast. They wanted 10E per person for breakfast which I thought was a bit steep.

• Liked — The comfortable room
  • Disliked — The issue with the breakfast
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank doll84
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed September 27, 2006

I am honored to provide the first review of this lovely, intimate hotel. Refurbished and opened in May of 2006, everything is fresh, clean and functional. It's the melding of 2-3 sections of an old building(s).

It's about two blocks from Erasmusbrug and essentially caticorner from Veerhaven (the old harbor). The #5 Tram is a straight shot to-from Centraal Station.
We paid 140EU which, in early Sept, is a pretty good rate for a first class hotel here.

Our room was massive, well appointed and stylish as was the bathroom. The bed was huge and comfy.

Staff was tremendously attentive and very friendly. They can't be beat at any price. The patio is quiet and inviting. Breakfast was avg but filling. Did not dine here.

The area was great with excellent restaurants, bars, shops, galleries right out the door. There's even an Albert Hein (grocery) just up the street. The old harbor is very near with neat, old live-aboards. Just a great vibe in this neighborhood.

I would not hesitate to stay here again and would consider it a superior alternative to the big name hotels in Central Rotterdam.

• Liked — Outstanding Staff
  • Disliked — Breakfast could improve a bit
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple