“beautiful modern design hotel, nice spa, friendly staff”
Review of Mainport Hotel

Mainport Hotel
Ranked #3 of 53 Hotels in Rotterdam
Reviewed June 28, 2014

The only downside to the hotel was getting my car to the valet spot (It is a sportscar unfriendly hotel, high curbstones) but otherwise our stay was perfect.
The staff is very friendly, our room had a nice view on the harbor.
Breakfast is very complete. Good quality buffet style.
The hotel is 5 min on foot from the center.
You can visit most attractions without any problem.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
RDMgr_InntelHotels, Rooms Division Manager at Mainport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for the time you have taken to write a review of your stay.
As we are in the city centre and Rotterdam is a city with a lot of bicycle roads, we have to be creative in finding solutions for parking the different cars of our guests. We have different possibilities for sports cars as there are 2 large parking garages next to the hotel where the porter can park your car with valet parking. Also this week we have made some changes to the parking spaces in front of the hotel to line up for the valet parking.

Thank you again for your stay and we look forward welcoming you back soon.
Kind regards

Reviewed June 25, 2014

Mainport is an exceptional hotel in a great location (10m from the metro and tram) and I wish I could give it a 4.9*. However I can't, and I can't justify giving it a 5* rating because of a few tiny but key flaws.

The staff were helpful - we checked in quickly and we were given some excellent advice on where to eat, go out etc, and how to travel around Rotterdam. However, there was no porter. I wouldn't expect someone to carry my bag for me but when you're staying in a 5* hotel you expect to at least be offered the service.

The room was absolutely amazing - huge, clean, with an excellent shower, sauna and hot tub, alongside the biggest and most comfortable bed I've ever experienced and a wide screen tv. However, I had emailed Mainport in the weeks and days leading up to my stay requesting that they have rose petals spread over the bed for when we arrived. I had been given assurances for this and had paid for it (a reasonable 15 euros) but when we opened the door - no petals! Again, a small thing but not what you'd expect from a 5*. Especially as I'd had an email 2 days prior confirming the service. However they did refund me and apologise a lot!

Another tiny yet annoying thing was the lack of coat hangers - seems such an obvious thing to have! Additionally, the bathroom light would not turn off, making the blackout curtains largely redundant.

One final (and the only significant) problem - the toilet is NOT in any way private. With a frosted glass door, no lock and not even a little bit of soundproofing, you really can hear... everything. Which may not be a problem for some people but personally I was not a fan of!

I don't want it to be all moaning - the hotel is beautiful, modern and incredibly comfortable. The view from the higher rooms is really nice and having a jacuzzi and sauna in your room really is brilliant. All it needs is a few creases ironed out and Mainport would certainly get 5 stars. I fully intend on going back again!

Room Tip: Waterfront spa - absolutely worth it. Ask for a higher room so that you can fully enjoy the amazing...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank michaelthorns

Dear Michael,

First of all I would like to thank you for the time you have taken to write this thorough review of your stay. I really appreciate all your feedback and we take it very seriously.
If you would have the opportunity to advise our Front Office Manager Marten of your roomnumber and details, we could check the technical parts that you mention in your feedback. We really appreciate your information via info@mainporthotel.com or +31 (0)10 2175757.

I am glad to read that you have enjoyed everything the Waterfront Spa room has to offer and I will pass on all your compliments to our staff.

We look forward welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed June 25, 2014

I arrived by car and was offered Valet Parking which I readily accepted and my car was parked and luggage retrieved. Reception suggested I upgrade for a few extra euros to a water view and I'm glad I did, as the Hotel is situated right on the canal housing the Maritime Museum, so the location is both central and unique. The room was large with a larger than life super king size bed which was very comfortable, but the best feature and the reason for my title of Amazingly Different was the bathroom featured a large Spa Bath AND an authentic Sauna, which I took advantage of. The room service food was very good which was strange given the breakfast fare was less than average. The reception staff are pleasant, friendly, multi-lingual and most helpful. I enjoyed my stay there so much I went looking for other Hotels in the Design Hotels Group. If you go to Rotterdam, this Hotel is a must!

Room Tip: Ask for a water view and an in bathroom Sauna.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 25, 2014

Service in this 5-star hotel is of zero-star level, absolutely APPALLING.
I asked at check-in for a quiet room with a view. I got a streetside room with a lot of traffic noise. I was so silly to think that noise would die down at night but it did not, so I had no sleep at all.
In a no-star hotel it would be normal but in a 5-star hotel I expect that receptionists will say that (in this case) I can pay an extra sum (from 15 euro) to be at the quiet side.
I said there is no swimming pool. She said they have one, but that's not the truth as guests have access to Club H2O , which is not the same.
It was supposed to be open from 6 AM till 11.30 PM, which luckily is also not true as I could have a swim at 3 AM, which was badly needed, not being able to sleep. And good because it was always crowded in the pool, even at 11.10 PM, and that pool is quite small.
I had made an error by booking twice. At check-in she said this was not visible but later I got an email from some manager saying that I should have paid twice as they kept an extra room free for me (the hotel was not full at all ). Obviously they are not inteliigent enough to be aware that I made a mistake and was only needing ONE room, for me alone. Besides, I clearly said at check-in that I needed only one room and that I had made a mistake, so why that arrogant email ?
I booked it for the jacuzzi in bathroom but this hardly means anything as the jetstreams are only on the side which only massages the legs a bit, that's all.
Very expensive minibar ( litte bit of wine for 6,90 euro, Snickers 2,75, still water 4,95), plus really horrible sex things as you will only find in bad-taste, oversexed Holland.
TV has no special culture channels and only movie channels (True Movies) with very old B-films. But it has BBC1 and 2.
There is only one armchair in the room, very low, so sitting very low above the TV on a desk, or on the bed but that's not comfortable.
Terribly small, impractical oval desk with bad seat.
TV also in the mirror in the bathroom but very bad sound.
Good things (not enough to make me happy) are soft enough bed (not as fantastic as in Bilderberg hotels though) and ice-machine in corridor and use of that swimming pool in the adjoining building AND the Express check-out which meant I could drop my things in a glass box and did not have to face the receptionists in my bad, bad mood, which would have made my stay even worse (the Dutch never apologise, at least not in a heart-felt way).
Breakfast is 20 euro (did not take).

Room Tip: Stay away from the very noisy street side.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
7  Thank dutchguy
Reviewed May 31, 2014

Stayed for 3 nights. Central location next to metro. Friendly staff. Rooms spacious, cozy beds, coll bathroom with TV on mirror. Breakfast little overpriced but we got a deal with breakfast included. Only negative was the cleanliness in the breakfast room. Some tables and chairs were full of bread crumbs even though already cleaned for the next person. Coffee tabs were not refilled on both days even though after reminder.
Overall very pleasant stay.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Marcus G
RDMgr_InntelHotels, Rooms Division Manager at Mainport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your lovely review on Tripadvisor.
I will pass on your compliments to our staff and will look into the comments that you have made.
We do look forward welcoming you back soon for a 100% perfect stay!

Reviewed May 31, 2014

We had a great stay in Mainport. Nice hotel, friendly staff, very nice rooms with a fantastic bed. Bathroom top and all very clean and very quiet. We had some drinks in the bar and the breakfast buffet is good, we even sat outside along the water. Checking out was quick and easy by filling out a few data, the pre-invoice was already delivered in the room. Location is very close to the centre and the parking garage under the Erasmusbridge is 1-2 min walking.

Reviewed May 27, 2014

I came for one night with my wife to the hotel.

The whole experience was great, with the exception of the service upon arrival. I had booked on hotels.com and prepaid the trip, but when I arrived, they tried to charge me again. I arrived late at night and had quite a wait for the person to finish servicing the couple that was there before us and then had some back and forth to explain and show the email proving that it was already prepaid. He said he'd handle it at night. The in the morning the same ordeal again (it seems the person at night did nothing to fix it).

Aside from that bad service, the hotel itself was wonderful. The rooms were very comfortable. They have a HUGE bathtub with jets (like a jaccuzi) which was large enough to fit in comfortably. Seperate shower, very nice amenities.

The spa was also very nice with a great pool, sauna and gym all in the same area. They have an optional no-clothes are or one where you keep on your bathing suit.

Aside from the service (which probably wasn't the norm), it was a perfect stay.

Room Tip: I had a corner room, but I think the regular rooms are better (more spacious)
1  Thank Adam P

Dear Adam,

Thank you very much for your feedback of your stay at Mainport.
I am very glad to read that you have enjoyed the facilities in the hotel and the room. The Waterfront Spa room is a great room to stay at with the Jacuzzi with view over the water!

I have passed on your comments about the invoice to our Front Office Manager. As you have mentioned already, this is absolutely not our standard and although we sometimes have differences between third party websites and what we have received from them, we still sort it out in a professional way. Please do accept my sincere apologies.

Thank you again for your stay and we look forward welcoming you back soon!