Hotel Baan
$220
$168
$98
  • Breakfast included
Ibis Rotterdam City Centre(Rotterdam)(Great Value!)
$65
$187
$165
Priceline
  • Restaurant
All reviewsgreat variety to choosechewing gumthe hotel sitsmetro stationclean roomsbars and restaurantscoffee machinecity
Reviewed September 27, 2009

Me and my girlfriend stayed in this hotel for a week . We arrived on monday afternoon and door was closed so we must wait a few minutes until the owner, his son and his dog arrived to check us in. The owner (his son and his dog didn't talk with us) seemed a nice person and gave us two rooms to choose one of them. The first one was in the second floor (n.10) and the second one was in the fourth floor (n.18). We went upstairs (and this mean "really" upstairs so the stairs was almost vertical and there isn't a lift) and when we reached the first room we decided to stay there, no matter how the other room (two floors up) would be. The room has a nice view on the canal and was clean and nice despite being a little one with few space for our bags. The bathroom was also small but enough. The breakfast every day was a continental buffet with a wide range of products, from bread to cereals, fruits, jams, cakes and so on. Each day when we went back to the room we have our bed... until friday. On saturday morning the girl in the reception has changed into a russian one (Natacha how we liked to call her, not that this was her real name) that requieres us to pay the amount of the stay and from that day on, until monday morning we leave, never the bed was made or changed the towels in the bathroom when we went back to the room. Sunday morning, as we were taking our breakfast, "Natacha" had a visit from a group of friends or relatives (we believed they were talking in russian language) that mantained her busy without taking care of take off the tables the used cutlery. So, not a bad place for the money if you are looking for a cheap place in Rotterdam, but only on working days or when the russian girl is out of the hotel. No luxuries but pretty near to two underground stations (Coolhaven and Delfhaven) that put you in city's downtown in less than 10 minutes.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 2, 2008

First of all this place is not the Belagio, so if you want all mod cons stay elsewhere, I needed somewhere reasonable to stay while i checked out Rotterdam on a break.

Dont be late to check in, I was and had to wait around for a stoned local to let me in, Didnt care after that, The staff were charming and funny and informative about the local area, (and let me take a doggy bag full of rolls)

So i wasn't expecting much, B&B and a shower , for this it was fine my room had a telly so i could see my friends drowning in mud at Glastonbury whilst i got sunburned,smug and dry in Holland.

At the time i was a student so dosing down was fine but if had a bit more cash i would have expected more, An all round quaility crashpad.Enjoy
ps
Check out Delfshaven on the other side of the Coolhaven for some historic pubs and bars, (this was the one of the few parts of Rotterdam not to get bombed in the war)

• Stayed: June 2005, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed September 11, 2007

I booked a night's stay at this hotel last weekend as I was visiting some friends in Rotterdam. I paid EUR 86 for the room/ensuite bathroom, which I thought was quite steep for a 2-star hotel. I didn't see the room when I checked in as I was late for my appointment and had to rush off. When I returned later that evening, I was quite appalled. The whole floor was like a building site (the rooms on that floor were being renovated and the room I was given had barely been completed) and the room was dusty and reeked of paint. The bathroom looked brand new and decent but the room was pretty bare - just two, small single beds crammed together, a table and a single wooden chair; there were no closets or hangers. There were paint stains on the carpet and on the curtains, and to top it off, the room was buzzing with mosquitos. The room faced a busy road and though the windows were double-glazed, the noise of cars whizzing
past was more than enough to keep me awake. After more than an hour of trying to get some sleep, I packed my bag and left. I called the hotel the next day to complain but the owners were on holiday and the lady who answered asked me to call back in several weeks' time.

Even if the room was clean, I can't believe the audacity of the owners to charge EUR 86! Absolutely no value for money here.

To anyone who is planning a stay in Rotterdam, don't bother with this
hotel - stay somewhere else!

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Velvet_escape
Reviewed July 29, 2007

When we arrived at the hotel, we had to wait 45 minutes to get in as the owner was not there, and he was very rude to us when we called to be let in! In addition, the first room we were given was a buidling site, then had to go through the process of being given 3 more wrong room keys before finally getting a key to the right rooms. The rooms thenselves were very basic, dirty with wallpaper coming off the walls etc. The mattresses on all beds were so uncomfy. However, the hotel is in an excellent location, and the breakfast was good. However even though we were expecting basic accommodation, this was worse than we could ever expect, will not be going back!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank conno86
A TripAdvisor Member
Maine, USA
Reviewed April 4, 2006

There were some problems with Hotel Baan, but we still enjoyed our stay. The online reservation form did not work and I had to call to make a reservation. When we arrived the owner was not present and we had to wait outside for his return. The rooms are very basic and the heat is not very forceful. But, we still very much liked Hotel Baan. It was easy to get to using public transportation. The owner was very friendly with us and took a lot of time with us--answering our questions about Holland and Rotterdam. The breakfast spread was good and filling; the coffee very good. It had a family-oriented feel to it, as the owner lives in the building with his wife, children, and other family members. Our room had a lovely view of the canal and surrounding neighborhood. It was a little pricey for the services, but still less expensive than anything else we found in Rotterdam. Know what to expect at Hotel Baan, and it will be enjoyable. We would stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2006