See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed April 21, 2016

I booked a hotel just for one night, having an appointment in the area.
Rooms are not really clean, carpets have lots of cigarettes holes, although it is theoretically forbidden to smoke in the entire hotel.
They smell the cigarette, just horrible!
Also, the following day, no breakfast available!
Not to mention the receptionist, not really friendly, who demanded a 50€ cash deposit in spite of having the credit card guaranty from and through booking: it is the first time that I see a hotel with this practice!
Finally, to add injury to insult, no invoice on departure!
Well, never again!!!

• Stayed: April 2016, traveled on business
Reviewed July 13, 2015

The location of this floating hotel is great, central, but without the noise. However, what appears to be a charming, Chinese bed for the night is actually a very old, unloved hotel in desperate need of investment. Our bed was big but harder than the frozen canals in winter. I would have been more comfortable on the floor but that wasn't an option as the carpets were smelly and covered in cigarette burns. The bathroom was covered in mold and the air-co sounded like a freight train was coming through the room. The bed sheets were clean, the room spacious and the staff friendly but I wouldn't stay longer than a night. We won't be staying there again.

• Stayed: July 2015, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 7, 2015 via mobile

My family and I only had a day to visit the city but many things went wrong right after we arrived. Exhausted and unprepared, we were trudging along in low spirits when we came upon New Ocean hotel and restaurant (under the same business), and went in to try our luck. Without a word, the desk manager and owner of the hotel gave us a place to deposit our extremely heavy luggages, then tried in all possible ways to assist us with our requests/questions (many unrelated, in fact, to the hotel at all) and make us comfortable. The assistant manager (?) at the desk - a Mr. Ji, left us with a particularly vivid impression - he was warm, kind, friendly and principled, and refused to accept any compensation for all the help he patiently offered us (even though we eventually had no time to stay in their hotel, despite troubling them so much earlier on). After reading the reviews in the prev years, it was indeed a pleasant surprise to be lent a hand, at a time when we most needed it in a foreign city. Throughout our interaction with them, the owner and the staff were unassuming and sincere (for instance, they took special care with our luggage deposition even when they learnt we would not be staying with them). Kind acts received in critical times would always be remembered.

Stayed: June 2015
Ruud E, General Manager at New Ocean Paradise, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2015

Dear Rachel and Ruby,

We are very happy to receive a review such as yours. We try to help all of our guests with whatever they need, it is really motivating to see a satisfied guest like you! It is a shame that you didn't stay with us to get the full hospitality treatment. However, you are more than welcome to stay with us next time you are in Rotterdam. I hope you got your luggage to the next city without too much hassle!

Reviewed September 27, 2014 via mobile

Average food and service. I really disliked having seen some chairs with pigeons' excrements. It is outside, but it's their duty keeping the place clean.

Stayed: September 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank ciub
Ruud E, General Manager at New Ocean Paradise, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2015

Dear Ciub,

I want to thank you for the time you took to give us feedback.
My name is Ruud Essenberg and I am the director of New Ocean Paradise. You are absolutely right when you say that pigeon excrements need to be cleaned, even outside. However our hotel has been a target for pigeons, seagulls and even little sparrows excrements since 1985. Chinese food, open air and a floating boat somehow seem to attract them.

Nonetheless we took your feedback into account and have sent our cleaning staff outside with a bucket and a swoop to clean the deck. We hope to see you again soon to check out our clean chairs, and enjoy our Asian hospitality!

Reviewed April 18, 2014

this is possibly the worst hotel i'v ever stayed in. it was dirty and grim. we stayed for 2 nights in a double room. the duvet was only a single stretch over a double bed. the kettle in the room was crusty with limescale to the point we didn't want to use it. we also had a COCKROACH in our room and when we asked for it to be removed it wasn't so clearly there room cleaning is pretty appalling if they missed a cockroach under a glass in the middle of the floor.

At breakfast i notice that the cheese and ham had gone sweaty and there was no cold water in a whole hotel (the tap water was luke warmish and tasted a bit stale probably because its on a boat). the staff were pretty useless taking 25 mins to check the people before us in and then did not say sorry for the wait and also clearly did not listen when i told them about the cockroach. also there was no mention of the 50 euro depsit when we booked so that was also a nasty shock. take my advise do not go here.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Rachael N

Dear Rachel N,

Thank you for your honest feedback. We strive to provide a memorable experience. Obviously we want it to be a positive one, certainly not the experience you have had with us. I apologise for the appalling state of the room you have stayed in. We get regular inspections by instances that know how to deal with bugs, mice and other pests. They do their outmost best to exterminate all of them. It is possible that one bug got away from the trap, we don’t get this complaint often.

In addition my apologies for my staff, I wouldn’t discredit them as being useless. Rather as being from a different culture, therefore they are sometimes not yet accustomed to dealing with complaints.

The deposit is mandatory for all reservations. Reason being; that we work with single hotel keys. If one gets lost we have to make a new one and that is about the price of the deposit.