“A neat place”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Lake Jackson, Texas
“A neat place”
Reviewed March 14, 2014 via mobile

This is a nice alternative to the usual Holiday Inns and Hiltons. It's one of the few buildings in Rotterdam that survived the war and the lobby and other common areas still have their original Art Deco designs. The staff are helpful and the rooms are nice. Plus, it's a lot less expensive than The Manhattan.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Marlinjane
LinnBruinewoud, Manager at NH Atlanta Rotterdam, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Dear sir/madam,

Thank you for sharing your review with us! I loved to read that you appreciate our Art Deco style! With our classic style in the hotel, we want to make a difference in the city of Rotterdam where all the hotels are rebuilding and renewing. With our classic style we hope our guests experience a special home feeling.

We hope we may welcome you again in our hotel.

Quality Manager NH Atlanta Rotterdam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Noord-Scharwoude, The Netherlands
Reviewed March 12, 2014

This hotel is in the middle of the city centre of Rotterdam, right next to the "Bijenkorf". It's one of the few building that wasn't hit during the 1940 bombing and you can see that. It has an old atmosphere.
The personnel was friendly.
Our room was not huge but big enough and very clean.
The breakfast was very good.
I would certainly go back to this hotel!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed March 3, 2014

The lobby is quite welcoming and quirky in its retro decor and adjoining entrance to a Chinese restaurant which means there is alot of bustle and atmosphere in this centrally located hotel - we stay here often and recognize the difference in room options so be careful what you choose and do ask for any specifics such as not street facing as it can get pretty noisy around that area if you need a lie in - it breakfast is fresh and extensive serving a great array of healthy options and good coffee - a note of caution if you are a Champagne lover it can be confused with Prosecco . We know the little details now they miss such as always needing extra pillows , extra bath robe and often expect to have to change rooms but the staff are always willing to help and this central location and reasonable prices seem to meet our needs everytime so we return with complimentary vouchers and good will courtesy favors which helps

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear sir/madam,

Thank you so much for taking time to write a review about your stay in our hotel. We highly appreciate your comments, so we can improve our service.
Nevertheless, I apologize for the fact that we did not meet your expectations if it comes to eye for detail. You write about the little details missing, such as needing extra pillows and a bathrobe.
Because me and my team are doing everything we can in order to give our guests the best service as possible, we will make notice of this occurrences at our staff.
Please let us know when you will visit us again. Of course we will make sure that you will automatically get the extra pillows and two bathrobes. If we can do anything to make your stay even more pleasant, please let us know your needs and preferences.

You can contact me directly on: l.bruinewoud@nh-hotels.com

Berlin, Germany
Reviewed January 29, 2014

My hotel room was clean and fairly big. Unlike previous reviews, I can not complain of the hotel being dirty, in fact it has a nice old charme, which gives it a different touch to all these "modern" blocks.
The Chinese restaurant situated just next to the entrance is fantastic and I was told that the steak place opposite was also really good. The location is excellent, walking distance to the railway station.
On a downside, I really have to complain about the way they handled cutting off power one morning. Apparently there was some work being done on the electricity, so at 10am the lights went off. That can be unpleasant, when the bathroom has no window...
I called reception and inquired about the absence of power. Kind, but not really interested, I was told "Oh yeah, power is coming back in couple of hours, they are working on the cables." When I said that I had not been notified, the lady said "But you should have - all the other guests were!".
That made me really feel better: me, the idiot, not having been notified and now how exactly is that my fault?
That wasn´t a miscommunication, there was NO communication.
And absolutely no sense from the hotel staff that this is not only an inconvenience for the guests but also really not nice to be treated as if you´re an idiot.
Smiling it away doesn´t help in that situation and after talking to some of my colleagues, who also stayed at the hote, I found out that in face NONE of them had been informed.

Big bad handling of a crisis.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
LinnBruinewoud, Manager at NH Atlanta Rotterdam, responded to this review, February 2, 2014
Dear Mr./ Ms. Pakatika,

First of all thank you for taking time to write a review about your stay in our hotel. I highly appreciate your opinion and absolutely understand why you wrote us about your complaint.
Therefore I would like to apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced due to the construction work on the electricity in the hotel. Our hotel is divided in different building- blocks. We planned the construction work in one block that day, but unfortunately the power switched off in almost all of our rooms. In fact we did inform the guests of the planned block, but due to a maintenance default you and our other guests also experienced this nuisance.
Our Front Office team should have responded to you in a more understandable manner. I contacted them and discussed this to prevent this in the future.
Again, I would like to offer you my apologies, also on behalf of our Front Office team!

I am glad that overall you have had a nice stay, I hope we may welcome you again in the NH Atlanta Rotterdam!

Brantham, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

We chose this hotel because of its central location and the facilities offered. Bad choice!
First room we were given had lumpy foam pillows, a double mattress that sagged badly and had the buttons sticking up, and grey dirt on the carpets all around the walls.
It was VERY cold and heating did not seem to work.
We complained and were given another room (twin beds).
This was also cold so we were given an electric heater that worked ok.
Water saving toilet flush only delivers 2 litres per go so you have to flush very many times to clean it after use.
Use of "economy" bulbs make rooms very dingy and hard to read by.
Sheets and towels are all old and hard with tears at edges and one sheet in the middle! Time they spent some money on this! All duvets are hard and heavy, like they were stuffed with old blankets. Towels smell strongly of bleach - possibly reason for skin irritation that affected us since arrival?
"Tea and coffee maker" in room is a half sized kettle and a few sachets of tea, enough for 2 cups.
Carpets in corridors are dirty, worn and rucked - more refurbishment needed.
Desk staff - a few very good but others completely unaware of what to see or the Rotterdam welcome card that gives discounts on trams, museums, etc - took us 3 days to learn about that.
Minibar prices extortionate as is €19.50 breakfast and restaurant (which charges full room service rate eg €18.50 for a steak).
Wifi is terrible - time and usage limits apply so need new access code at least every day, can't move between floors and stay connected.
TVs are very out of date analogue with poor, unwatchable signals in both rooms we used (on different floors) with "herring bone" interference across all the pictures. Needs money spending on digital.
No hotel car park so use Qpark next door with "discount" from €30 to "only" €25 per day so it's nearly twice the cost of the hotel room!
No disabled friendly rooms and only public wheelchair-accessible toilet is on 6th floor. When asked they did provide a ramp for front steps.
How this place got 4* rating I have no idea! You DONT get what it says on the website.
Will never come here again nor use any of the other 48 NH hotels.

• Stayed January 2014
2 Thank Mike M
LinnBruinewoud, Manager at NH Atlanta Rotterdam, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Dear Sir,

Thank you for sharing your review with us. First of all I would like to apologize for the bad experiences you had in our hotel. Since my team and I are sincerely passionate about providing a great Customer Care, we feel truly sorry that we have not accomplished this feeling with you.

At this moment we are trying to contact you by phone, to talk to you about your experiences and to apologize to you in person. Together we will find a solution.

Please let me know if and when we can contact you. If you want to contact us, please use the following email address:. nhatlantarotterdam@nh-hotels.com. You can reach us by using telephone number: +31(10) 2067800. You can ask for Cindy Lafeber, our Interim Front Office Manager.

I am positive that we can and will change your mind about NH Hotels, and of course about the NH Atlanta Rotterdam.

Quality Manager NH Atlanta Rotterdam

Travelers are raving about these Rotterdam hotels

Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed January 1, 2014

We stayed here to celebrate NY with friends who live nearby. For sleeping only, the hotel is ok-ish, however way overpriced. Don't stay here if you want a nice hotel for a couple of days. The hotel is shabby and outdated. The bathroom sink and toilet have yellow stains and I found some hairs from the previous guest(s). The beds are old and we could hear the noises from the street very well (we had to double check whether the window might be open). In one of the rooms in our hallway there was a party going on with loud music and teenagers who I think attended the party were wandering in the lobby and hallways.
Luckily we could park at our friends' place, because parking costs 25 euros per day... We didn't have breakfast at the hotel.

Room Tip: The street side is very noisy.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bobby88472
LinnBruinewoud, Manager at NH Atlanta Rotterdam, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Dear madam,

Thank you very much for sharing your review and comments with us. I have read all your complaints and first of all I would like to offer you my apologies. This is not how we want our guests to experience our hotel, since we are doing everything we can to make you feel at home and comfortable.
For the stains you found in the sink and toilet, and the hairs you found in the bathroom, I immediately contacted our Housekeeping Department. They are truly sorry for this, and started this week with decalcify the sinks and toilets. There is no excuse for the hairs you found, the only thing we can do is to say that we are very sorry for this occurrence and that we will pay attention to this in every room.

I would also like to inform you that we will receive new beds in the next few months. This means that the old beds will be replaced for completely new ones, including new mattresses and pillows.

I would like to thank you again for your review. We take your complaints very seriously and will work on improvement of all the mentioned points in the future. Despite all, I hope to welcome you again in our hotel, to give you a new and fresh impression of our hotel.

Kindest regards,

Athens, Greece
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Very convenient location closed to various shops/malls etc. Definitely not value for money. Windows do not isolate well, cold air was entering into the room.
it clean and good quality amenities to use.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business