“Good hotel.... except:”

NH Atlanta Rotterdam
Ranked #21 of 52 Hotels in Rotterdam
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 29, 2014

My hotel room was clean and fairly big. Unlike previous reviews, I can not complain of the hotel being dirty, in fact it has a nice old charme, which gives it a different touch to all these "modern" blocks.
The Chinese restaurant situated just next to the entrance is fantastic and I was told that the steak place opposite was also really good. The location is excellent, walking distance to the railway station.
On a downside, I really have to complain about the way they handled cutting off power one morning. Apparently there was some work being done on the electricity, so at 10am the lights went off. That can be unpleasant, when the bathroom has no window...
I called reception and inquired about the absence of power. Kind, but not really interested, I was told "Oh yeah, power is coming back in couple of hours, they are working on the cables." When I said that I had not been notified, the lady said "But you should have - all the other guests were!".
That made me really feel better: me, the idiot, not having been notified and now how exactly is that my fault?
That wasn´t a miscommunication, there was NO communication.
And absolutely no sense from the hotel staff that this is not only an inconvenience for the guests but also really not nice to be treated as if you´re an idiot.
Smiling it away doesn´t help in that situation and after talking to some of my colleagues, who also stayed at the hote, I found out that in face NONE of them had been informed.

Big bad handling of a crisis.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
LinnBruinewoud, Manager at NH Atlanta Rotterdam, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2014

Dear Mr./ Ms. Pakatika,

First of all thank you for taking time to write a review about your stay in our hotel. I highly appreciate your opinion and absolutely understand why you wrote us about your complaint.
Therefore I would like to apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced due to the construction work on the electricity in the hotel. Our hotel is divided in different building- blocks. We planned the construction work in one block that day, but unfortunately the power switched off in almost all of our rooms. In fact we did inform the guests of the planned block, but due to a maintenance default you and our other guests also experienced this nuisance.
Our Front Office team should have responded to you in a more understandable manner. I contacted them and discussed this to prevent this in the future.
Again, I would like to offer you my apologies, also on behalf of our Front Office team!

I am glad that overall you have had a nice stay, I hope we may welcome you again in the NH Atlanta Rotterdam!

Kind regards,

Quality Manager NH Atlanta Rotterdam

Write a ReviewReviews (1,189)

Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

We chose this hotel because of its central location and the facilities offered. Bad choice!
First room we were given had lumpy foam pillows, a double mattress that sagged badly and had the buttons sticking up, and grey dirt on the carpets all around the walls.
It was VERY cold and heating did not seem to work.
We complained and were given another room (twin beds).
This was also cold so we were given an electric heater that worked ok.
Water saving toilet flush only delivers 2 litres per go so you have to flush very many times to clean it after use.
Use of "economy" bulbs make rooms very dingy and hard to read by.
Sheets and towels are all old and hard with tears at edges and one sheet in the middle! Time they spent some money on this! All duvets are hard and heavy, like they were stuffed with old blankets. Towels smell strongly of bleach - possibly reason for skin irritation that affected us since arrival?
"Tea and coffee maker" in room is a half sized kettle and a few sachets of tea, enough for 2 cups.
Carpets in corridors are dirty, worn and rucked - more refurbishment needed.
Desk staff - a few very good but others completely unaware of what to see or the Rotterdam welcome card that gives discounts on trams, museums, etc - took us 3 days to learn about that.
Minibar prices extortionate as is €19.50 breakfast and restaurant (which charges full room service rate eg €18.50 for a steak).
Wifi is terrible - time and usage limits apply so need new access code at least every day, can't move between floors and stay connected.
TVs are very out of date analogue with poor, unwatchable signals in both rooms we used (on different floors) with "herring bone" interference across all the pictures. Needs money spending on digital.
No hotel car park so use Qpark next door with "discount" from €30 to "only" €25 per day so it's nearly twice the cost of the hotel room!
No disabled friendly rooms and only public wheelchair-accessible toilet is on 6th floor. When asked they did provide a ramp for front steps.
How this place got 4* rating I have no idea! You DONT get what it says on the website.
Will never come here again nor use any of the other 48 NH hotels.

• Stayed: January 2014
2  Thank Mike M
LinnBruinewoud, Manager at NH Atlanta Rotterdam, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2014

Dear Sir,

Thank you for sharing your review with us. First of all I would like to apologize for the bad experiences you had in our hotel. Since my team and I are sincerely passionate about providing a great Customer Care, we feel truly sorry that we have not accomplished this feeling with you.

At this moment we are trying to contact you by phone, to talk to you about your experiences and to apologize to you in person. Together we will find a solution.

Please let me know if and when we can contact you. If you want to contact us, please use the following email address:. nhatlantarotterdam@nh-hotels.com. You can reach us by using telephone number: +31(10) 2067800. You can ask for Cindy Lafeber, our Interim Front Office Manager.

I am positive that we can and will change your mind about NH Hotels, and of course about the NH Atlanta Rotterdam.

Kind regards,

Reviewed January 1, 2014

We stayed here to celebrate NY with friends who live nearby. For sleeping only, the hotel is ok-ish, however way overpriced. Don't stay here if you want a nice hotel for a couple of days. The hotel is shabby and outdated. The bathroom sink and toilet have yellow stains and I found some hairs from the previous guest(s). The beds are old and we could hear the noises from the street very well (we had to double check whether the window might be open). In one of the rooms in our hallway there was a party going on with loud music and teenagers who I think attended the party were wandering in the lobby and hallways.
Luckily we could park at our friends' place, because parking costs 25 euros per day... We didn't have breakfast at the hotel.

Room Tip: The street side is very noisy.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bobby88472
LinnBruinewoud, Manager at NH Atlanta Rotterdam, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2014

Dear madam,

Thank you very much for sharing your review and comments with us. I have read all your complaints and first of all I would like to offer you my apologies. This is not how we want our guests to experience our hotel, since we are doing everything we can to make you feel at home and comfortable.
For the stains you found in the sink and toilet, and the hairs you found in the bathroom, I immediately contacted our Housekeeping Department. They are truly sorry for this, and started this week with decalcify the sinks and toilets. There is no excuse for the hairs you found, the only thing we can do is to say that we are very sorry for this occurrence and that we will pay attention to this in every room.

I would also like to inform you that we will receive new beds in the next few months. This means that the old beds will be replaced for completely new ones, including new mattresses and pillows.

I would like to thank you again for your review. We take your complaints very seriously and will work on improvement of all the mentioned points in the future. Despite all, I hope to welcome you again in our hotel, to give you a new and fresh impression of our hotel.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed December 29, 2013

Very convenient location closed to various shops/malls etc. Definitely not value for money. Windows do not isolate well, cold air was entering into the room.
it clean and good quality amenities to use.

Review collected in partnership with NH Hotels
Reviewed December 28, 2013

Located in the Cool district with good shopping and eating options within easy reach and the museum district walk-able.

Myself and my boyfriend had a standard room for 2 nights over Christmas. The bed was two singles pushed together, the sheets were a horrible texture and very thin. There was no ceiling light so we had to put up with the dreary light from 4 lamps dotted about the room. The windows were left open so the room was freezing when we arrived. Overall we weren't impressed but the room was clean and did warm up once the windows were closed and the heating turned right up.

Breakfast was too pricey for us so we made do with buying pastries the day before and coffee from the McDonalds across the road. We didn't eat there but the adjoining Chinese Restaurant seemed to be very popular as it was always busy.

Wouldn't stay here if better TA rated hotels are available.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your review with us! We really appreciate your feedback because with your comments we can keep improving our product and services.

I would like to apologize for the fact that somebody left the windows open, and that you have experienced that some of our rooms are a bit darker than the others. If we may welcome you again, please know that you can always contact our Front Office to let them know your complaints. The Front Office will make sure to bring you an extra lamp or heater, or if you prefer, a room change. About the sheets, as Quality Manager of NH Atlanta Rotterdam I take this complaint very seriously. Actually, we are in the middle of a pilot with our laundry company to check the quality of our sheets. We will take the older sheets out, and replace them with new ones.

Many thanks again for sharing your review and complaints with us. I hope I may welcome you again in the future, to prove that we will do anything to make you feel comfortable and at home in our hotel.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed December 26, 2013

Rooms are basic but very clean and comfortable. Free wifi worked well. I would quite happily stay at this hotel again if I was returning to Rotterdam. Good location taxi from Central station was 35euros.

Review collected in partnership with NH Hotels

Dear sir,

Thank you very much for posting your great review about our hotel. We are honoured to read that your stay has been to your full satisfaction.

I hope we may welcome you again soon in our hotel! We would love to have you stay with us again!

Best regards,

Reviewed December 11, 2013

Hotel has good location, good service/restaurant, but quality of internet is terrible. Definitely not high-speed as was written. If you want to come here for business and have a lot of e-mail correspondence with attachments, then it isn't a good choice. 15-20 kbps/sec and 100 MB limit.
But for tourism I think it is an excellent choice.