“Some attention required”

NH Atlanta Rotterdam
Ranked #22 of 53 Hotels in Rotterdam
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for one night on business. Staff service was fantastic, reception service very good and the barman more than helpful. I had a couple of drinks and a bar meal which was very nice although a little expensive.

I had room 327 which had all required facilities. It looks like the bathroom has been upgraded recently and is very nice with large screened shower. The bed was comfortable and mini bar well stocked. As other comments show, the lighting is pretty poor in the room especially when arriving after dark. The room was also very cold when I arrived and the radiator was shut off. I opened this fully but it still wasn't very hot after a couple of hours. The window is very old single glazed steel frame and very very drafty, and with the radiator directly below it I guess this is where the heat goes! The floor also is laminate wooden effect and would be more comfortable to the guest with carpet.

Room Tip: 327 wasn't as bad as some others seem!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed February 15, 2013

This used to be a great deco bulding: high ceilings, big windows, nice entrance with a center stair to both sides... But the reality is that it now seems a dark and very sad place. The ilumination is so poor that you almost see nothing on the room. I had to put my book literally below the lamp to be able to read it, so was the low power of the lamps. And I used two different rooms with the same issue. All the furniture, paintings and carpets need a swap out since time ago, although because of the low ilumination it was difficult to see whether things were clean or not. The breakfast is poor. The NH usual spanish "iberico ham" had been sustituted by a low quality ham, and the rest was below the standard.
I use to go to many NH hotels since time ago and usually you get what you expect: a good business hotel with clean and comfortable facilities. This is not the case. The price was not high according to the Netherlands standard, but still.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

Stayed here for a business trip in December. Got one of the old rooms on the second floor. The quality of the room was just terrible and I only got cold water in the shower two mornings in a row. The breakfast was not up to standard, the bed was hard and uncomfortable and the room was really cold even with full heat on as the draft from the windows is severe. I actually got sick after staying here and I suspect that the draft from the windows was the reason. The location is good, maybe the only positive thing about the hotel. Really needs to be upgraded. The value for money is terrible as the hotel is actually quite expensive. Avoid at all cost.

Room Tip: Make sure to get on of the new rooms.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed February 1, 2013

Rotterdam doesn't have many characterful hotels, so for international/business types of places, at least this Deco hotel has some lovely architectural features. The breakfast room is large and airy, with a fantastic ceiling. I had a slightly tired room in the original part of the hotel - but it was comfortable enough. The tv remote wasn't working - why don't hotels check that kind of thing? Very friendly reception staff, and complementary hot chocolate on a chilly January evening helps. Very convenient location, right next door to the terrific Bijenhof department store!

Reviewed January 25, 2013

On the good sides: great location, right in the city centre, 10 minutes walk from the train station (you can do it easily even with a small bag). Very good breakfast. Nice helpful service.
The room I got was quite old and rather ugly. Also, a carpet on the floor would feel much better than the linoleum. It was, however, clean and adequately sized. WiFi worked slowly, but OK.

My bad luck was, it was minus 5 Celsius when I was there. The windows in this hotel are really bad - when you stood 1 meter from the window, you could feel a cold wind blowing on you. I read in a booklet they are cultural heritage and cannot be changed - well, OK, but I believe you can put something into the holes? This meant, with the heating fully on, the room was extremely cold. I have normally + 20 C in my bedroom, so not too warm either - but this was much colder. Combined with the ice cold linoleum floor, it ended up with me earning a bronchitis. So, choose a warm day if you want to stay in this hotel.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

This hotel is beautiful. The room we were given was very modern with a fantastic view down the street which was all lit up. Very spacious bathroom with a bath (which is rare in a hotel) Really comfortable bed. Had a brilliant night's sleep. 5/5 would definitely visit again. Fantastic for around £65 a night including city tax. (We paid it when we checked out). The woman behind the counter even allowed me to take my key card with me for my scrapbook.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tilly204
Reviewed January 20, 2013

The public areas of this hotel are very nice. Also the location is fantastic. Very walkable from the train station, else take a tram or metro. Shopping literally right outside the door. My room rate did not include breakfast, but I decided to add it in. It was pretty good, but still quite pricey.

I was very disappointed when I got to my room. It seemed old, dusty, and just worn out. It had a balcony but it was filled with trash. The lighting was awful and I couldn't see anything. The night came and I was sick of it, and after reading other reviews I asked if I could get a renovated room. They agreed and I was able to move that night. That room was much better and is as pictured. The pictures only show the nicest parts of the hotel.

When visiting the hotel staff they are very kind and accommodating, but the follow through isn't so great. I.e. When I asked about the lighting they said they would send someone right up to look at it, but never did.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo