“Lovely Hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Enfield, United Kingdom
“Lovely Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2012

I stayed here for the Carnival with a group of friends, beautiful hotel, nice location. The beds were the best, wish i could take them home with me!! The service was great, couldn't really find a fault with the hotel overall. We were upgraded due to their mistake.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank K15kus
, General Manager at Rotterdam Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, June 26, 2012
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at The Manhattan Hotel Rotterdam. I am very happy to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and trust that you and your friends will decide to stay with us again in the future.

Erik de Wit- General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Wilton Manors, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2012

My partner and I stayed at the Manhattan in late May prior to a cruise that departed from Rotterdam. After a very early 6am arrival at Schipol Airport and the new 28 minute high speed rail trip to Rotterdam Central we were delighted that the hotel was just across the street from the station. The hotel is part of a very large modern sky scraper that is representative of much of the post war modern architecture in the city. We had made our reservation though a prepaid on line site for a rate slightly less that the hotel's own site; however, it was advertised to include breakfast and in fact it did. The hotel advertised the breakfast for something like 35 euro per person. The breakfast room is beautiful and the food was extraordinary but I don't know that I would pay close to $100 for two when there are so many terrific alternatives nearby.
Now here is the best part. Perhaps because this was a Friday, the front desk staff offered us the option to upgrade to their executive floor for just 25 euro and the room was available at our 8am arrival time. This afforded access to the executive lounge that had a wonderful view (one can see all the way to The Hague) had snacks that rotated during the day, newspapers, a computer and really good coffee as well as wines in the evening.
Our room was modern and spacious with a great bathroom and wonderful bed. Our view was to the back of the hotel and overlooked a lot of construction yet we were not disturbed by the noise. The hallways and interior are decorated in a lush purple that worked with the entire modern theme.
The hotel staff could not have been more helpful and ready with dinning and site seeing recommendations that proved to be valuable. This hotel would easily cost twice a much in nearby Amsterdam. We had such a nice time in Rotterdam and at the Manhattan that we wish we had allocated more time there before the cruise. The cruise port was a short 10 Euro cab ride away.

Room Tip: room on the front of the hotel have the best views but also some tram and traffic noise
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for having taken the time to share the impressions about your recent visit to The Manhattan Hotel Rotterdam. Your detailed positive feedback is highly appreciated and passed on to the entire hotel staff, as it is a great motivation to keep on striving for excellent guest service.

We look forward to welcoming you and your partner back at The Manhattan Hotel Rotterdam soon.

Copenhagen, Denmark
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2012

This hotel received a prize from Tripadvisor and I wonder why. It is a 5 star because of the services it provides (room service etc), but it does not feel like one. On the positive side the room was large and sunny, with a desk, which is handy when travelling on business. The gym is fine as well, although there is no pool, sauna or jacuzzi. The quality of food is also good, which is however to be expected given the high prices. The central location is convenient: near the train station, shops, tram and metro.
Unfortunately there were more downsides. I will not go into all the details but here are a few examples. I was welcomed by "ah you booked with expedia", which apparently classified me in some sort of lower category of customers. It was thus impossible to get a copy of the bill for example.
Internet: for 5 days the charge would have been 69€. It was thus cheaper to look up emails on my foreign smartphone. In the 21st century Internet is no longer a luxury service, even hostels have it for free. 5 star hotels have to bring added value to their customers, not only make more money out of them by charging for normal services.
I called guest service to give me a kettle, but the person working at that time assured me I could do this with the coffee machine and then rushed out again... of course that is not possible so I went down to get a kettle later that day.
I ordered room service for lunch and then called to have the tray picked up. They asked me to leave it in front of my door, so I did. I left at 1pm, when I came back at 7 pm it was still there. I left for dinner, and as I came back at 11pm it was still there so I called again... Not looking pretty for me or other guests on the hallway.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Flo V
Dear Flo V,

Thank you for having taken some of your valuable time to share your constructive feedback. I am sorry to hear that your overall experience was not up to your expectations. Regarding internet, please note that we offer free Wifi in all public areas and we recently updated this service to ensure that we provide a good connection throughout the entire hotel.

Should you plan to return to The Manhattan Hotel Rotterdam, please allow me to personally take care of your next reservation. I would like to ask you to contact me at the Executive Offices upon making your travel arrangements.

Erik de Wit - General Manager
Shelton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2012

I love this hotel. I've spent a lot of time on this place in the past 8 years and enjoyed every minute. The rooms are amazing, the bathrooms perfect.
Food is one of the best I've ever tried in a hotel.
Location could not be more convenient.
Just perfect.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank KRISFZ
ManhattanHotel, General Manager at Rotterdam Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, June 11, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you taking the time to write a review about your experience at The Manhattan Hotel Rotterdam.

We appreciate that you ‘feel at home’ at The Manhattan Hotel for the last 8 years, and we truly look forward to welcoming you back the coming 8 years!

Brussels, Belgium
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2012

Rushing out of the room for a meeting in the morning, I forgot a shirt: despite several phone calls, emails as of the very same evening, and formal reassuring from the personnel (who had found my shirt exactly where I told them), they tell me more than one month later that they have lost the shirt and i'll never get it back. Not really up to standards for a five stars hotel

Room Tip: a businness hotel, where customer care is more formal than susbstantial
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank antonio78
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent experience at The Manhattan Hotel Rotterdam.
I regret to hear that your experience at the hotel was not all that you would expect from a 5-star hotel such as The Manhattan Hotel, in particular about your lost item after your departure from the hotel.
My colleague from the Housekeeping department got in touch with you confirming that unfortunately the lost item was not found in the room.

I sincerely apologize for the way this issue was handled, and this is certainly not the standard service we offer our guests.

I would like to welcome you back to the hotel and personally take care of your next reservation. Feel free to contact me at the Executive Office upon making your reservation. I look forward to personally welcoming you back to the hotel.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2012

I was very fortunate to have the great pleasure of staying at this hotel for six weeks from early March to the middle of April this year so feel very well placed to comment. Having had time to reflect on my stay I conclude that the Manhattan deserves it 5 stars.

I ate in the restaurant most nights and the food was constistantly excellent as were the wines I sampled selected by the Maitre 'd Boudwijn or his colleague Terrence. It was always a great experience. These guys are on top of their game. They know instinctively which wines will go best with each dish. Let them pick your wines you will not be disappointed.

I also ate from the room service menu on several occassions and this was always of a constistantly good standard.

The breakfast was always an enjoyable experience too. I was greeted by curteous and helpful staff every morning. Breakfast service did get busy at times but only for a short period; it is a popular hotel .

I had a junior suite facing the railway station which was very comfortable in both size and furnishings with a view across to the station. I will admit the first night I arrived there was construction work taking place late into the evening but it only happened once. I was informed it was unusual and offered a move by Youp, the guest services manager, which I declined. There was never any disturbances at the weekends. Only the bells from the early morning trams which I found rather quaint!

Youp was always able to solve any problems I encountered. And there lies the hotel's deserved 5 stars, it's staff. There are all friendly, curteous, I was even greated on the street by one of the reception staff when I was out for a walk around Rotterdam one Sunday afternnoon!

They were always willing to help and very professional at what they did. If you have a problem they can solve it for you. You can have a great building, like the Manhattan, in a great location which it is, but you need the best staff to run it. The Manhattan has this is spades.

I look forward to returning.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Jimbotsa
Dear guest,

Many thanks for your very positive review about your recent stay at The Manhattan Hotel Rotterdam!
It is a delight to read how much you enjoyed your experience at the hotel, in particular The Manhattan Brasserie during dinner and breakfast, our guest room offering and our personalized Guest Services.

I will certainly pass on this feedback to all departments, which is a great motivation to us all to continue to offer bespoke Manhattan service.

Do let me know when you plan to return to visit us again in the near future. I look forward to personally welcoming you back!

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2012

unbelievable that a hotel at this price has the hide to want to charge 22€ per day for access to internet. The wifi is hopeless in the lobby. What is it with hotels that dont provide free wifi in your room yet do they charge for writing paper ans pens in the room? Free wifi these days is just a given terrible hotel for comms for business.

• Stayed May 2012
3 Thank tigerov
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at The Manhattan Hotel Rotterdam.
I apologize that your stay at our hotel was not all that you would expect from a 5-star hotel such as The Manhattan Hotel Rotterdam. I regret to hear that your experience in particular with regards to our Internet services was unsatisfactory. The Manhattan Hotel Rotterdam offers free WIFI in all public areas and we recently updated this service to ensure that we provide a good connection throughout the entire hotel.

I welcome you to provide us feedback during your stay so that we are able to personalize our service while in-house.

Allow me to personally take care of your next reservation, and I appreciate you notifying me at the Executive Office upon making your next reservation. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.