“Deserves its 5 stars.....”

Rotterdam Marriott Hotel
Ranked #6 of 52 Hotels in Rotterdam
GreenLeadersSilver level
UK
“Deserves its 5 stars.....”
Reviewed March 21, 2012

We paid a return visit to The Manhattan and once more it surpassed our expectations! We stayed for a long weekend - having found an excellent rate on the internet. On arrival, as returning guests, we were upgraded to a Junior suite and all of our preferences were remembered - such as Decaf coffee in the room etc. The room itself was lovely and spacious, overlooking the city. All the the staff were attentive and smiley, which is a rarity these days! Since the appointment of Youp, the Guest Services Manager, the standard has improved, even better than when the hotel was the Westin. Boudewijn the Maitre d' is exceptional, he remembers your favourite drinks and suggests interesting wines to complement your food - a white wine with steak for example, which was amazing! He has certainly opened my eyes about wine and his enthusiasm is infectious and passed on to all his staff. I can't wait to return as it's one of my favourite places to stay and definitely the only place to stay in Rotterdam!

Room Tip: Upgrade to an Executive room and have use of the executive lounge. It's a lovely place to relax...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
ManhattanHotel, General Manager at Rotterdam Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, April 18, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your kind feedback regarding your recent stay here with us at The Manhattan Hotel Rotterdam. It was a pleasure to have you again in the hotel and we really appreciate your detailed comments on your stay.

Good to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and will certainly pass on your feedback to our entire staff, which is a great motivation for us all.

Sunny regards from Rotterdam!

Erik de Wit – General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Zandvoort, The Netherlands
Reviewed March 21, 2012

Perfect location, opposite Central Station and in city center. Comfortable room, stylish decorated. No fuss, but elegant. Everything was shiny new and clean. Very helpful staff, always friendly. We ordered dinner in the restaurant and altough the food was allright we did not have a "wow" experience. Side dishes were late, they forgot to bring our drinks etc... At breakfast the same. Friendly staff but not very attentive and slow service. Anyhow I would certainly recommend the hotel not only for business travel but for a citytrip as well.

Dear guest,

We are pleased to hear you have enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you very much for your kind feedback. We really appreciate your comments and will be taken into serious consideration.

Should you plan to return to our beautiful city, please do not hesitate to inform me of your next reservation, giving us the opportunity extend you with warm, personal and bespoke Manhattan service!

Please do not hesitate to contact me at the Executive Office, upon making your next reservation should there be anything I can assist you with!

Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 19, 2012

I have now stayed at this hotel a few times in the last couple of months. The rooms are beautifully laid out, comfy beds and right in the centre of the business district and opposite Rotterdam Central Station - so perfect for the business traveller.
If I have to have a gripe - do not go for breakfast between 7:45 and 8:30 - this is the busiest period and the waiting staff can not keep up - be prepared to ask to have coffee or tea - it will not come to you, outside these times - the service is then back to the standard expected.
The last time that I ate at the brasserie - again service was a question as well as the chef doing the cooking - it was still good, mind you... but I have been spoilt all the other times I have been to the restaurants/ bars and this time I had to ask for attention even if it was not busy and the meal was not as orgasmic as previous...

Room Tip: Try and ask for a room on the opposite side to the train station - as they will be quieter
Dear guest,

We are pleased to hear you have enjoyed your stay with us. We appreciate your time taken to review the hotel and value your constructive feedback to us. It will provide us with the opportunity to improve our service to you and our future guests.

I truly apologize that you have perceived an untimely service during breakfast at The Manhattan Brasserie. We encourage our team not only to extend a professional and efficient service, but to take an extra step in order to satisfy our guests. Please accept our apologies for this. I can assure you that I have already discussed the issue with my management team to take corrective measures and know that this is certainly not the standard service we aim to provide our guests.

We would be very glad to welcoming you back soon at The Manhattan Hotel Rotterdam and allow me to personally take care of your next reservation by contacting me at the Executive Office.

Wincanton
Reviewed March 15, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here on business in March 2012. I had a large comfortable well-appointed room on the second floor. The staff were at all times smiley, efficient and helpful. A colleague and I ate in th restaurant one evening. A pleasant atmosphere with large windows overlooking the central station. We didn't stretch the kitchen very hard - we ordered soup of the day followed by fish cakes - but the meal was well-presented and tasty. When paying the bill the waiter apologised for the slow service (which I had neither noticed nor complained about) and deducted the cost of our wine. A nice touch, albeit unnecessary on this occasion. If I have one gripe it is the cost of an Internet connection: €10/hour or €22/day. In a five star hotel you'd expect this to be rolled into the room rate

Stayed March 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for renewed positive feedback about your stay at The Manhattan Hotel Rotterdam.

We are pleased to hear that you had a good time and also enjoyed some of the activities in the city such as the renowned concerts in De Doelen Concerthall. In addition to this, it was a great honor for us that you celebrated your birthday in our Hotel!

With regards to the noise issue, we are happy that we were able to solve this in a manner which is pleasing to both you and our other hotel guests. We take pride in offering bespoke and personalized Manhattan service, each and every time!

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel during the Holiday season. Would you be so kind as to notify me upon making your next reservation so I can personally take care of this?

Upon your return to the hotel we will be able to show you some of the other highlights the city has to offer!

Leiden, The Netherlands
Reviewed March 8, 2012

I stay here every year and class it as one of my favourite hotels in the world. Excellent service, kind staff, brilliant facilities, opposite the train station and within 10 mins walk to main shopping area and the main art museums plus just round the corner is the wonderful music concert hall, De Doelen which has a superb programme of classical music each season.

So why am I reviewing this again? This time the hotel excelled itself! I stayed here from 29th February until 5th March. I was born on 29th February and wanted to spend this special and rare occasion at Manhattan Hotel. I'd told them this when I booked many, many months ago but thought they might, understandably, not mention it - either out of discretion or because they must be very busy. I was wrong. They gave me a card and wished me birthday wishes and generally helped me celebrate my birthday in the relaxed, quiet and luxurious atmosphere I wanted.

I only had one problem - some children were staying in the room next to mine, their parents in another room. Not long after they arrived, the children ran riot and the noise and behaviour was terrible. The hotel responded quickly and with discretion, talking to the parents and organising things so that the children were moved to a room next or closer to the parents. Badly behaved children are always a sensitive subject because, I'm sure, no parent wants to be told their children are creating problems but the hotel staff handled it smoothly and calmly and peace was restored.

I'm going back to the Manhattan Hotel in December/January because I know I will receive the calm luxury I look for over the Christmas/New Year period. In fact, if I get a chance to go back to Nederland before then, I would want to stay at the Manhattan hotel.

Room Tip: The free internet is available in the form of one computer in the Executive Lounge, available to peo...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Audrey-Jane

Houston
Reviewed March 6, 2012

Rooms were nice enough, though nothing overly special, and location was quite convenient to the Rotterdam Central train staion. The staff was always courteous, helpful and cheerful – including accommodating my early check in request. My main complaint was that to call the wireless access spotty would be a compliment. If it had not been a courtesy in my corporate room rate, I would be to the point of challenging the 22 euro per day charge for sure! I consistently was dropped and sometimes could not even connect. Quite frustrating. And as I was there on business needing to connect for night time meetings with folks back in the US, this was quite a challenge. My other more minor complaint was poor water pressure in the shower, but it was manageable. Other than that the hotel was nice and if the internet access had not been so terrible, I would have given it 4 instead of 3 rating.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at The Manhattan Hotel.
I shared your positive feedback, with the relevant departments which is a great motivation to all of us!

I apologize for the inconvenience you experienced with regards to the water pressure since we monitor the pressure constantly and I may assure you that this is not a recurring issue at the hotel.

The hotel also offers complimentary access to the Business Center with free internet access. Additionally, we also offer free WIFI internet in the public areas.

Nevertheless, I appreciate and thank you for your overall positive review and welcome the opportunity to experience the hotel again in the future.

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed March 6, 2012

The hotel itself is quite nice but it surrounded on two sides by a major construction project to enhance the Rotterdam Central Train station. The construction can be very loud and goes well past midnight. The hotel website doesn't warn you of this. I spent over $200 per night and got no sleep due to the noise. When I complained to the front desk at 12:15 am the front desk manager did not apologize nor move me to a room opposite the construction. He did offer a smoking room also facing the construction that was even nosier than my room. While the hotel is not responsible for the construction, they make no effort to warn guests or minimize the impact of the noise by booking you in a room away from the construction. The construction is not near completion so if you want to get some sleep I suggest you book elsewhere.

Room Tip: Getting a room away from the construction is a must unless you can sleep through anything or have ea...
1 Thank DenverElizabeth
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent experience at The Manhattan Hotel.

My sincere apologies for the inconvenience you experienced as a result from the construction works surrounding the hotel.
While I myself attend periodical meetings with all partners involved in the construction works to minimize impact on our guests’ experience, I regret to hear that you were affected by the excessive noise.

I would also like to apologize that our Front Desk did not take the corrective actions to resolve the inconvenience as you would expect from a 5-star hotel. All our guest rooms and suites are non-smoking and alternatively we would have been able to offer you a room which is located on a higher floor and also on the other side of the hotel. I shared your feedback with the relevant departments so as to be able to inform our guests and offer the proper solution.

I would like to welcome you back to the hotel and would like to personally take care of your next stay with us.

Kindly let me know at the Executive Office upon making your next reservation.