“Perfect for Our Needs”

Ranked #27 of 52 Hotels in Rotterdam
San Diego
“Perfect for Our Needs”
Reviewed November 5, 2009

First, it was handy to the train station.
If arriving by trian this hotel is a quick trip on foot from the station. Go out the exit that is not toward the Centrum turn right down Proveniersplein and walk up to Schiekade, cross the street and turn left.

The rooms were clean and comfortable. The breakfast offered a nice variety, something for everyone. I felt safe in the neighborhood and the staff was helpful and knowledgable.
We don't spend a lot of time in our room, so it was perfect for us.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 4, 2009

Stayed her for two nights in Early November 2009. The hotel has a nice modern looking Reception, Restaurant and Bar Area but the rest of the place is pretty tired although it has obviously been painted and had new furniture.

Everywhere is clean and tidy, the breakfast is not too bad BUT service in teh restaurant is dreadful. We ate both nights in the Hotel (The Weather outside was lousy so walking was out of the question) and the service was lousy to say the least. We had to repeatedly ask the serving staff (I say staff but most of the time there was only one, seemingly inexperienced girl) for Bread, Glasses, Drinks, Menus etc. The [small] restaurant was only half full but even so it took well over an hour to get starters. One table even went and helped themselves top a bottle of wine from behind the bar as service was so slow.

If you can't find anywhere else the this place is "OK" and clean enough, but if you have a choice I'd strongly suggest that there is far better places to stay.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Rotterdam hotels

Netherlands
Reviewed June 23, 2009

I stayed in the old part of the Hotel. I do not recommend anyone to stay in the old part. My room was very small, with extremely dirty carpet. You have to pay for the Internet in this Hotel. The breakfast is adequate. I don't think that this Hotel is worth 4 stars; I would rate it at 2 starts. It is over-priced for what you get.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank LindaNetherlands
bedfordshire,UK
Reviewed June 14, 2009

This place is an independently run modern hotel within an old building under the Best Western umbrella. Its 8 minutes walk from the central station and pretty central for the city as a whole. The rooms are fine, a bit spartan, but perfectly adequate and clean for getting your head down in Rotterdam for either business or a tourist stay. I found the staff excellent and the breakfasts were a great start to the day. Above all, it was good value for money. A good budget hotel.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank pete-fran
England
Reviewed June 24, 2008

This is more like a hostel than 4 star hotel - I asked for a quiet room with a view - I got a small room which was inset - the view was of a flat roof with 8 noisy air conditioning machines - none of which needed to be switched on as the weather was already cool. The curtains and bedspread were tired, the paint work needed re-doing and strangely there was a large office clock on the wall. The hotel corridors are just ghastly.

Breadfast was OK - but old croissants and tinned fruit salad (don't know who eats that in this day and age)

Reception staff are helpful and friendly

Rotterdam must have better!

• Liked — reception
  • Disliked — rooms
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank Englanderin
Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed June 11, 2008

After staying in Amsterdam for one week, I moved to Rotterdam for 8 nights where I had made the mistake of reserving a single room in "Best Western Pax".

I was greatly dissapointed by this hotel because it has 4 stars, but in reality its a 2 star hotel.
Believe me, I've stayed in 4 stars hotels, even in Romania, and "Best Western Pax" is simply not 4 star.
Whoever gave this hotel 4 stars should have his/her head checked!

Let me start by telling you about the ONLY POSITIVE thing during my stay here.
As I said, I had made reservations for a "Single room", but some how they gave me a double room.

And thats all folks!

Apart from this, my room (number 112) was like being sent down the dungeon!
It had NO VIEW. I could not see the sky when opening the window which was depressing to say the least.

This so called "4 star hotel" DOES NOT have:

- A mini-bar
- A free wireless connection
- A ventilation system in the bathroom

My room was old, not so clean, with stains on the wall, cracks in the ceiling, etc.

After spending a few hours in the room in my first day of arrival, I actually wanted to complain to the hotel manager, but I knew I HAD to stay put since I had paid the room in advance. So, I decied to just endure all the poor conditions for 8 nights.

The breakfast was shocking in this hotel!
Very very poor and tasteless. It was as if they were trying to discourage you from eating there!
Thats why, even though I had the breakfast included in hotel's price, I just had it once during my stay.

As I told you earlier, the room was less than clean and one morning, after waking up and entering the bathroom, I saw a big spider walking in the bath tube. It was disgusting!

The only good thing about the hotel is its location.
It will take you 10 minutes to walk to the "Centraal Station" where all the action is.
You can also take the tram (number 20 or 25) from "Centraal Station" and get off at the second stop which is called "Schiekade".

I liked Rotterdam even better than Amsterdam and I'm sure my trip would have been even nicer if it wasn't for this poor, poor hotel.
This hotel really ruins the reputation of "Best Western" brand...

In conclusion: avoid it like the plague!

• Liked — Hotel's location and the air conditioning in the room
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Kaiser_Amir
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 30, 2008

The Pax was recently renovated, although as you approach from the outside, you may think (as I did!) that you're at the wrong address!!

Reception staff were very helpful and professional, the public areas are spotless and newly decorated. I was up on the 4th floor with a super quiet room facing a courtyard (and some homes). The room was very spacious with a nice new bathroom with toiletries, remote TV with plenty to watch, tea&coffee and writing desk, air con and double glazing.

Breakfast was nicely presented at the lobby level...and tasty too.

The hotel is located around 10mins from the main attractions of the City - I arrived by train and it only took around 6mins to reach the hotel (leave the station by the REAR exit, not the main one).

Excellent stay; clean, tidy, quiet - and cheap too.

• Liked — Clean & Quiet
  • Disliked — Internet machines didn't work
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank chris036