“Could do better..!”
Review of Hotel Rotterdam

Hotel Rotterdam
Ranked #26 of 53 Hotels in Rotterdam
Reviewed October 8, 2011

I arrived at the hotel to be greeted by 3 receptionists which I thought was a bit over the top but assumed it might be a sign of the good service they were about to provide. I was given my key card and took the very slow lift up to the second floor and then followed the corridor around to the back of the hotel where the single rooms are usually found. All I wanted to do was dump my bag, have a quick shower and then go out and explore Rotterdam.

First problem: the key card didn't work and after 5 minutes making sure I was inserting it into the slot correctly I accepted defeat and took the slow lift back down to the reception desk. One of the 3 receptionists (I noticed that they had all swapped seats!) pressed a few buttons on her computer and then told me the card should now work. I took the slow lift back up to the 2nd floor and luckily the key card now worked.

Second problem: like most people I had a quick look around the room which in this case was small with a single bed, wardrobe, desk with kettle and tea/coffee etc, lamp and telephone. I had a lovely view out the window of several aprtment blocks! On the wall was a portable TV so I decided to flick through the channels - but there was only 1 channel which was a bad version of BBC News 24 but in Dutch! There appeared to be 4 pay-per-view channels but I was too scared to go to any of them in case I got billed a stupid amount of euros.

Third problem: I didn't really want to watch the TV anyway so decided to take a shower. The bathroom was small and compact with the usual free toiletries but.... ....no towels! I searched high and low but couldn't find any so headed off towards reception (again) using the slow lift (again). Luckily I didn't have to go far as there was a store cupboard along the corridor and the door was left open so I just grabbed a towel and went back to my room!

In conclusion, I would have expected a better level of service from a Best Western hotel - key card didn't work, no towels in the room, one TV channel (what is the point?), and I should mention that even though I put the "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door handle the cleaner still knocked on the door asking if the room needed to be cleaned! Plus the pillow was too thin.

I was going to rate the hotel 2 out of 5 but I've marked this up to 3 out of 5 only because the breakfast was plentiful and included in the price for my room and the hotel is only a 10 minute walk from Central Station and all of the shops and bars.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank matt_pool

Reviewed September 22, 2011

Hotel staff are friendly and helpful. It is not too far away from Central Station, about five to ten minutes walk. Can buy a three-day tram pass to travel around as the tram station is right across the road.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed September 13, 2011

We stay only one night @ Rotterdam. The location of the hotel is good. Next to Schiekade tram station (few stations from central station by tram 20/25). But don't event think to walk from central station.

Overall is ok. Room in good (not spacious but ok), bed is ok, bathroom is clean. The hotel is a bit dated but i think i got the new renovated room.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 1, 2011

We stayed at this hotel for one night before taking a Holland America crusie the next night. We selected it because it was within walking distance of the train station and we had taken the train from a stay in Amsterdam. Rooms were small, but clean and the bathroom was OK. We had requested a non-smoking room, which we did not get. When we asked to change rooms, they said none were available. The free Internet connection didn't work the entire time we were there. The desk saff were friendly and they did serve a nice breakfast. It was OK for a short stay at a reasonable price, but nothing special.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 28, 2011

In my stay, everything worked well at this hotel: the services, the infrastructure, the Internet (free WiFi), the restaurant. And it is in a good location.

Room Tip: The double rooms are much better than the single ones.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed August 24, 2011

although rated as four star the standard is not four star,just an ordinary budget hotel.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed August 16, 2011

4*. Maybe in 1980, when the last renovation was done. Mouldy odor, dodgy mattress, and barely functional toilet. Do yourself a favor, go somewhere else. Even a 2* -- you're bound to do better.

• Stayed: August 2011