“Great hotel but service varies widely”
Review of Hilton Rotterdam

Hilton Rotterdam
Ranked #4 of 53 Hotels in Rotterdam
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed April 4, 2014 via mobile

Overall a great stay. Firm but very comfortable bed. decent size room. public tram transport within steps from hotel on two sides plus right on subway line. Rail Central station is an easy walk with luggage.

Service ranged from superb- strangely the lounge and cafe were impeccable Sun- Monday but spotty on Tues-Wed of my stay. When I arrived the executive lounge lady remembered my husband from a previous stay and greeted me warmly. She asked what I planned to see and offered suggestions on lunch, transport, and other local events like the Tuesday market. She marked my map, filled glasses and was a delight.

The next lounge person was more like lounge monitor. I had been sitting for 20 minutes when she came by and asked my room number and then went to get desk to see if I was legit. She didn't ask everyone so I felt singled out. However later she asked only one person in a group of men so I wasn't the only one- although spot checking reminds me of being the lucky one who gets the TSA pay down at the airport.

The cafe staff were incredibly helpful mon and Tues. The hostess walked me around the buffet and explained the setup- not necessary but a classy service. She also explained that chef would make any egg dish I'd like. And he did- he asked if I liked spicy and he surprised me with a superb veggie omelette. Waitresses offered refills on juice and coffee and quick to offer assistance. The staff on Wed-thurs were ok- did the basic job but nothing special.

Be careful asking questions of the concierge. They are helpful but info is incomplete. We asked for a good restaurant and were recommended an Indonesian restaurant that was closed Mondays. We walked over but doors were shut. Also I asked for tram directions for the harbor tour. When I arrived I learned in low season there was only one tour a day and I missed it. Granted I didn't ask the concierge what time it departed. They are helpful but didnt anticipate my typical traveler problems.

Overall still a great experience. Modern, comfortable and good food. Worth choosing.

• Stayed: March 2014
janrutgers, Manager at Hilton Rotterdam, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2014

Dear guest, Thank you for your comprehensive review. I am happy to read that you enjoyed your overall stay. I am very sorry to read that the concierge’s misinformed you. I would like you to know that the concierge will be retrained to offer better service to the guests. Jan Rutgers – Hotel Manager

Reviewed April 1, 2014

Try to forget your prejudices about eating in chain hotel restaurants and give Stadshal a try. I have been here a few times whilst staying at the hotel and the food has always been excellent. I'm not normally moved to review places I visit alone on business, but there is a great chef here and no mistake.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business

Dear Jagulon, Thank you for your compliments on the restaurant and for recognizing the Head Chef. Jan Rutgers – Hotel Manager

Reviewed April 1, 2014

Fantastic hotel. Every detail was taken care of. It is worth money people have to pay for the hotel room. Clean, elegant and comfortable rooms. Great view. Tasty breakfast. Friendly staff. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Helena, Thank you for your recommendation. Jan Rutgers – Hotel Manager

Reviewed April 1, 2014

1950's building on outside, wonderful on inside, classic style. Excellent location in Rotterdam near Central Station, shopping district, Shell, Aegon, etc. Lots of restaurants, nearby. Next to Old Luxor theater, 2 minute walk from cinema. 2 minute drive to Ring road, 10-15 minutes to Rotterdam Airport

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Rutger, Thank you for submitting your review on the hotel. Jan Rutgers – Hotel Manager

Reviewed March 28, 2014

Everything about the hotel is fantastic, the staff is amazing and the rooms are clean and modern.

The restaurant Stadshal offers suberb value for money and staff is attentive and friendly.

I highly recommend this hotel, since service and quality are a number one priority at Hilton Rotterdam.

For me personally this is one of the best Hilton hotels that I visit frequently.
The only downside for me is the removal of the liquours in the executive lounge,please bring them back for a high quality hotel like Hilton Rotterdam this just is a shame that they downgraded the lounge. Even Hilton Schiphol still offers them! I sincerely hope they rethink this change.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
janrutgers, Manager at Hilton Rotterdam, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2014

Dear Hilton Fan, Thank you for your compliments on the hotel and your recommendation. With regards to your comment about the liqueurs in the executive lounge, I would like you to know that I will take your feedback in consideration. Jan Rutgers – Hotel Manager

Reviewed March 15, 2014

Stayed here for a week on business.
The building is a great example of what it call mid century modern (not sure of the purist's definition). I am a fan.
Staff were friendly and attentive on checkin and a slight hiccough readily resolved without me having to make an issue of it.
Standard rooms are not huge but they are pleasantly furnished and properly equipped. Not all rooms have baths so be sure to ask if this matters to you.
Moved to a larger king sized exec room and these are nicely sized and the bathrooms extra nice.
Cannot stress enough how pleasantly furnished the rooms are - modern without being over done and a relaxing place to spend time.
Breakfast is good.
Business lounge is more than adequate and can easily see people meeting clients in such an environment.
This is not a 5+ star hotel but it feels very high quality and the lack of that last little bit of excellence frankly only showed up in one very small thing when we wanted the concierge team to book our trains out of Rotterdam and they just couldn't seem to make it work and it took about 6 hours to let us know.
Wireless good throughout the building
Well located for the main retail shopping area and the train, and plenty of cafés and bars are 5 mins to 10 mins walk at most.

Room Tip: Make sure you specifically request a bath as not all rooms have them. King exec rooms are lovely and...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank donethatalready
janrutgers, Manager at Hilton Rotterdam, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2014

Dear guest, Thank you for your compliments on the rooms. I am glad to read that you like the business lounge. Jan Rutgers – Hotel Manager

Reviewed March 2, 2014

The hotel is nicer today after the renovation. was rather run down before. But why don't Hilton hotels provide toilet brushes? Are you supposed to stick your hand down, call housekeeping or just live with marks in your bowl if you happened to leave any? And why is Hilton still in the 20th century when it comes to internet? EUR 20 per day for access is not only extremely outdated, as everybody wants internet in 2014, it is also outrageous and will cost Hilton customers in the long run.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
janrutgers, Manager at Hilton Rotterdam, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2014

Dear Macviking, Thank you for your comments. On request our housekeeping department can bring you a toilet brush. Furthermore I would like you to know we have free wifi available in de lobby and restaurant. Jan Rutgers - Hotel manager