“Lovely staff, terrible experience, health hazard.”

Bilderberg Parkhotel
Ranked #10 of 52 Hotels in Rotterdam
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 9, 2013

The staff were very friendly and welcoming. I had paid extra for "VIP treatment". I was given a "garden room" which was small and a bit shabby but seemed OK, despite the smell from the bathroom. A very friendly waiter brought a snack, noted the smell and advised me to seek a new room if it did not improve- but I was really tired, so I rehearsed my lecture and went to bed.
Then the endless knocking or loud dripping sound, I think from above, precluded sleep. At 02.30, in desperation, I asked for a new room to be told that the computer was "locked" for audit. One hour later they called to see if the noise was fixed and it was not. They were simply unable to provide another room.
After blocking my ears with paper, I dozed fitfully before going into the smelly bathroom. The plug in the sink did not work. The shower fitting was loose and it took several minutes to jam it in a way that permitted a shower. The shower floor was curved upwards and lethally slippery- a real and definite danger- one had to brace against the edges.
I was in poor shape to give my seminar at Erasmus University, and to be alert for the thesis defence. In the morning, I had to pack my bag because no other room was yet available. In fairness, when I returned, I was given a large, clean and smell-free room in the tower block.
I am sad to write this but the lack of basic maintenance is not fair to either a guest or to the concerned and hospitable staff. And I am simply appalled to be charged for the first night which was miserable and, frankly, dangerous.

Room Tip: Absolutely refuse a "garden room". The tower is fine.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
BilderbergParkhotel, Manager at Bilderberg Parkhotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

Dear Ian G,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the Bilderberg Parkhotel. I am very sorry to hear that your first night in the Bilderberg Parkhotel was not good. We have used your feedback to prevent accidents in the future. Our technical staff has repaired the shower fitting, plug in the sink and have dissipated the unpleasant smell. I am pleased to read that you did find our staff and service good.

Thanks again, and I hope to welcome you again at the Bilderberg Parkhotel.

There are newer reviews for Bilderberg Parkhotel

Reviewed September 11, 2013

This hotel is very well situated in the center of Rotterdam. Close to the subway and bus service. You can access the internet and the wifi is excellent. The restaurant and bar in the hotel is great and the staff is attentive. English is no problem all staff speak english. The rooms are clean and well maintain. Shopping is close by.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
BilderbergParkhotel, General Manager at Bilderberg Parkhotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2013

Dear Michel O,

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with the Bilderberg Parkhotel Rotterdam. I am please to read that your stay has been great. I have passed on your compliments to the concerning departments.

Thanks again and I hope to welcome you again soon!

Reviewed August 11, 2013

Payed 90€ for a night without breakfast
Much to expensive for this room that looks more like 3 star
Please do not take rooms that look out the the road you will not sleep wel of all the cars driving by

Service check in was good

No safe in the room that is very bad if you have some money that you want to take outside

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
BilderbergParkhotel, General Manager at Bilderberg Parkhotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

Dear Danny L,

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. I'm sorry to hear that your stay hasn't met your expectations. I am pleased to read that you did find our staff and service good. Please next time ask our reception desk to point out the safe in your room, as every room is equipped with one.

I hope to welcome you back in the Bilderberg Parkhotel.

Reviewed August 6, 2013

We had booked a garden room. However, on our arrival it was about 35°C outside and these rooms do not have air-conditioning. We were offered an executive room in the tower for a surcharge of 10 € per night, which we took.
The executive room was very spacious. There was a bath and a shower. Everything was clean. It was a pity the windows didn't open though so we couldn't air out our room the next morning.
There is wi-fi available, but you have to pay for it, which I find ridiculous for a business hotel. The breakfast buffet was included in our room rate. Breakfast was good, but when it's not included in your room rate, it costs 25 € per person which I find exaggerated.
What I liked the most about this hotel is its great location: it's within walking distance of the central station and near the Witte de Withstraat with a lot of bars and restaurants. We never had to walk far for a meal.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Marrijke,

Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences of the Bilderberg Parkhotel. I'm glad to see that you have enjoyed your stay at our hotel. The WiFi we have available is a very safe network with a wide broadband. It's secure for our business guests to use and it's very fast. Therefor, we charge a small fee for the use of it.

I have shared your positive comments with the concerned department, and I hope to welcome you again in the Bilderberg Parkhotel!

Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

Starting to look a bit old and tired. Came here for a week during a heat spell and the air conditioning didn't work at all. After complaining twice was able to switch rooms. At first the broken ac wasn't acknowledged. Was billed for items that were never purchased.

Excellent breakfast buffet and service. May be better choices.

• Stayed: July 2013
BilderbergParkhotel, General Manager at Bilderberg Parkhotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Dear Dave TN Y Y,

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with the Bilderberg Parkhotel. I'm sorry to hear that the staff at the reception desk didn't respond adequatly to your complaint about the airconditioning. We will use your feedback to prevent any other accidents from happing again in the future. I will forward your compliments about the breakfast to the relevant department!

Thanks again, and I hope to welcome you again soon at the Bilderberg Parkhotel!

Reviewed June 16, 2013

Centrally located close to Rotterdam Centraal station (15 mins. walking). Spacious and clean rooms. Good internet connectivity, great breakfast. In-house restaurent not so great but plenty of good eating places within walking distance. Some noise from streets if facing the main road and on lower floor.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank arvid59

Dear Arvid59,

Thanks so much for taking the time to write a review of your stay at the Bilderberg Parkhotel. I'm haapy to see that you have enjoyed your stay, and I will forward your compliments to the relevant departments.

Thanks again, and I hope to welcome you again soon at the Grande Dame of Rotterdam!

Reviewed June 4, 2013 via mobile

Functional, clean hotel with good service. Staff are polite and helpful. Well located in the Rotterdam city. Room is very spacious with large closet and bathroom.

Room service menu is limited after 930pm but still acceptable.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank CodyKow
BilderbergParkhotel, General Manager at Bilderberg Parkhotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2013

Dear CodyKow,

Thanks for taking the time to review your stay at the Bilderberg Parkhotel. We really appreciate feedback given to us by our guests. I have forwarded all your compliments to the concerned departments.

Thanks again, and I hope to welcome you again soon!