The staff were very friendly and welcoming. I had paid extra for "VIP treatment". I was given a "garden room" which was small and a bit shabby but seemed OK, despite the smell from the bathroom. A very friendly waiter brought a snack, noted the smell and advised me to seek a new room if it did not improve- but I was really tired, so I rehearsed my lecture and went to bed.
Then the endless knocking or loud dripping sound, I think from above, precluded sleep. At 02.30, in desperation, I asked for a new room to be told that the computer was "locked" for audit. One hour later they called to see if the noise was fixed and it was not. They were simply unable to provide another room.
After blocking my ears with paper, I dozed fitfully before going into the smelly bathroom. The plug in the sink did not work. The shower fitting was loose and it took several minutes to jam it in a way that permitted a shower. The shower floor was curved upwards and lethally slippery- a real and definite danger- one had to brace against the edges.
I was in poor shape to give my seminar at Erasmus University, and to be alert for the thesis defence. In the morning, I had to pack my bag because no other room was yet available. In fairness, when I returned, I was given a large, clean and smell-free room in the tower block.
I am sad to write this but the lack of basic maintenance is not fair to either a guest or to the concerned and hospitable staff. And I am simply appalled to be charged for the first night which was miserable and, frankly, dangerous.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Parkhotel originally dates back to 1922 and has been offering outstanding service and hospitality in the port city of Rotterdam for more than 90 years. The entire ground floor of the Parkhotel was renovated in 2014. The original DNA and unique Parkhotel atmosphere have been retained and combined with contemporary design. The 189 comfortable rooms have every convenience you would expect of a four-star hotel. Several of the rooms have a balcony with a view of the wonderful city garden. The Deluxe and Executive tower rooms, at a higher level, offer a wonderful view of Rotterdam. The hotel has 50 secure parking spaces, a sauna and fitness facilities. Restaurant The Park - inspired by Erik van Loo offers contemporary design, a cosy aperitif bar, Cigar Lounge, Private Dining and a wonderful veranda which opens onto the city garden and the terrace. The menu features signature dishes by Erik van Loo, among other specialities. The chef patron of the restaurant Parkheuvel, which has been awarded two Michelin stars, is the supervising chef of The Park. Together with chef Richard de Vries, he creates outstanding dishes which are characterised by their quality and simplicity, combined with a playful twist. In 2014, The Park won the Rotterdam Gouden Pollepel award. The Algemeen Dagblad newspaper gave The Park the following review: 'A restaurant which scores highly in every detail and means that Rotterdam can now join the ranks of other global cities where locals are used to eating in a high-calibre hotel restaurant.' ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Priceline, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets and HotelQuickly so you can book your Bilderberg Parkhotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bilderberg Parkhotel Rotterdam
- Bilderberg Parkhotel Hotel Rotterdam