“special on all accounts”
Review of SS Rotterdam

SS Rotterdam
Ranked #9 of 52 Hotels in Rotterdam
Copenhagen, Denmark
“special on all accounts”
Reviewed February 25, 2014

spendt a night in this very special hotel - I have never been in a old transatlantic cruise ship hotel - so the setting in it self is an experience.
the "crew" was very friendly and helpful from checkin to checkout. Rooms were nice and clean everything in pristine condition.
the area provides restaurants in walking distance as well
for short stays in Rotterdam I can recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed February 23, 2014

It was an outstanding experience to spend a night again on the s.s. Rotterdam Last time was 30 years ago when I was still sailing on board as a navigation officer. My wife and I met on board and sailed several yeards together, including 2 world cruises. For a reunion of Holland America Line people we decided to book a cabin (=room for landlubbers). We got a good deal for an executive room on the Sun Deck. The officers deck in the past. The cabin was nicely renovated and still kept the old style, overlooking the bow. Getting to the cabin was a little difficult since you had to go outside via Boat Deck and stairs up to Sun Deck. Reception and check in was very helpful and friendly. Most public rooms are still in authentic style. The Lido Restaurant has been remodelled and looks very nice now. Breakfast was very good.Also the new Captains Bar on Main Deck is an excellent improvement.
Westcord Hotels is doing a very good job in making improvements., Keep up the good work!

Room Tip: Cabins on Sun Deck and Boat Deck are very nice. Otherwise Lower Promenade Deck or Maindeck. Take Sta...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Richard4570
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed February 22, 2014

Last night we stayed in a lovely spacious cabin with 2 port hole windows. The staff were really friendly and helpful. We had a delicous dinner in the Club-room. The chefs and the Maitre d Hotel did their utmost best to make our evening a pleasurable one. They looked after our special dietary needs really well. In the Captains lounge we had the most yummy chocolate mousse cake. The views from of the city from the ship were amazing. We really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Bratislava, Slovakia
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Let me tell you that maybe my expectations where just way to high, but from the beginning till the end this " hotel " was a dissapointment. I really love projects like this so I went here with high hopes only being slapped in the face with old claustrophobic hotel rooms without any good working modern communications. ( no internet in my room!!! ) And that is not what disturbed me the most, the most was the awful service in the bar, a trainnee barman who could not see the difference between a beer and a bitterball as well as a staff meeting just being held in the public guest area where I am trying to enjoy my well deserved drink!. ( they have plenty of space to hold their meetings, I believe )

Also don't be fooled that this hotel is anywhere near the city center, you need a taxi if you want to go quick and this costs you 16 euro one way. I would have asked my money back if it wasn't for the facts that I had to leave already at 5 in the morning to catch my flight and I somehow felt sorry to complain to the nightwatch.

Last but not least, okay I know it is a ship and you should expect this, but some rooms have no windows what so ever, so if you are looking for the great Rotterdam view, this is not the place to be!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank jjmhen
The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed January 19, 2014

After an afternoon of shopping in the city centre we checked in at 4PM at the SS Rotterdam. The receptionist was very friendly and helpful in supplying all needed info. Our cabin (1042) was very spacious, clean and tastefully decorated and had two portholes overlooking the port of Rotterdam, It was to early for dinner so we wanted to get some coffee and cake. Upon entering the Captains lounge we were asked to leave because it was 'busy' but we were assured the Ocean Bar was better, however this was jammed packed standing room only. So, we were send to the Lido terrace only to hear they weren't open for business yet. After being send from one to the other we went back to the reception asking were we could have a drink. The host told us to follow him and we went through the same trail we had just done also to be refused every were we went including some very rude feedback from the waitstaff to the host who was just trying to accommodate us. Finally we just went back to the starting point at the Captains lounge and told the host we didn't feel very welcomed. He asked the hotel manager to speak with us and got offered a complimentary drink. After this rocky start we had a beautiful dinner with some very friendly staff at the Lido terrace and a nice and quiet drink after at the Oceans bar. The beds in the cabin were very comfortable as well as the pillows. The shower worked great in the evening but the next morning had no water pressure and all we had was a miserable little trickle of water to wash up with. The breakfast buffet was sumptuous with lots of choices in anything you may wish for although the coffee machine was out of order but this was resolved with cans of coffee from the other restaurant. The audio tour was very interesting and I learned a lot about the history of the ship but the movie at the end of the tour was broken so we couldn't see this. All and all I have enjoyed my weekend getaway but I believe the hotel staff can make some major improvements in the hospitality field.

Room Tip: Room 1042 was very nice
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Bailly-romainvilliers
Reviewed January 12, 2014

The ship was very impressive and the staff very friendly.. Exactly what we had expected.
We were 2 adults and 2 kids for the new years day and none of us was disappointed... We had made a reservation for 2 superior cabins, Well eqquiped....
We would happily come back...!

• Stayed December 2013
2 Thank Elvire P
Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 10, 2014

We have been this hotel 2 times now both times we stayed on christmas eve and went clubbing, all rooms are comfy, staff friendly and good value for money, different experiance to ur average hotel been on a ship. Good location for factory 010 Maassilo......

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends