“Restored luxury”

SS Rotterdam
Ranked #9 of 52 Hotels in Rotterdam
Reviewed September 27, 2013

Truly unique.
This 1950's ocean liner used to ferry passengers across the Atlantic.
After lengthy and costly restorations, it is restored to its former glory - though with all modern amenities.
What you get is a lot more than a typical ship cabin - you get a proper hotel room retro-styled but with all modern comforts.
What you do not get in any hotel is the frequent ship tours by volunteers who take you to every secret corner of this former queen of the seas.
The staff were extremely friendly but I think also proud to work there!
Restaurant and conference areas as well as the decks, make you travel back in the '50s
I had one of the most unforgettable conferences on board the Rotterdam.

Room Tip: Higher decks = more light
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Seasonedd
Write a ReviewReviews (1,981)

Reviewed September 6, 2013

If you want a unique experience, this is a great place! Booked an executive suite and had plenty of room. Booked a package through the hotel website which included welcome drinks, dinner, breakfast and a tour of the boat. Had to ask for my inclusions at check in. The dinner and breakfast were fantastic and the ambiance at the deck bar was amazing. Next time I would book a regular room as there was nothing 'outstanding' about the executive room (except the size). Location is a bit far from town - hired a taxi @ $20/way. Overall, enjoyed the experience!

Room Tip: Executive Suite not worth the extra money unless you need the extra space
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tiffiemonkee
Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

We booked a Waterbus package direct with SS Rotterdam. We had a superior room for 2 nights with breakfast, a days Rotterdam card which included a days transport ticket, and a waterbus ticket with a cycle hire. All for 230 Euros. About the same price as a room. There were a few minor issue's- check in was incredibly slow due to not enough staff on duty (but they were very helpful!) and the only outside seating was around the Lido bar. Beware if you try to eat your packet of crisps or drink from your own can of drink. Forbidden!!!! So we bought a bottle of wine and some snacks and sat on the grass away from the ship. Very pleasant and a lot quieter. We enjoyed our stay but wouldn't bother again as its just a bit far from anywhere, although there are a couple of reasonable restaurants a 25 minute walk away by Rijnhaven metro station.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Azurian
Reviewed August 30, 2013

It was really a very nice experience to be on the SS Rotterdam. Our room / cabin was very spacious and had a nice "retro" theme. The bed was comfortable and we slept well. Shower/bathroom was OK.
We had lunch, dinner and breakfast in the Lido restaurant (all outside on the deck as the weather was great when we visited) We were happy at lunch and breakfast: good food, and good quick service too. Unfortunately during dinner our waiter (a young man) was very slow, sloppy and unattentive. He kept on forgetting us (and our orders) even after we complained. His older, female colleague took over and her service was much better. Also during dinner time there was a band playing: "Decibel" Their music was an insult to our ears and I advise management of the SS Rotterdam to find another band.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SjoerdVXX
Reviewed August 18, 2013

I was on SS Rotterdam last holidays with my boyfriend and it was really nice time! Impressions were very impressive. I cannot say anything bad for room service and food. Very nice staff. I hope i will come back there in the future!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank momoiro666
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I can only comment on the restaurant and the boat themselves as we did not try the hotel facilities. We spent our company christmas party there last year, we were about 50-60 people having drinks - open bar- and diner there. The bar is very nice and the drinks were served fast by very nice staff members. The diner was another story. By that stage we were getting drunk so we didnt really care but the food wasnt nice. One of my colleagues at my table actually found a large piece of plastic packaging in its amuse bouche. The tartare starter was the only nice thing in the whole meal. The meat in the main course was overcooked and hard, unedible. Red and white wines served at the table were poor quality. Dessert was OK, dont remember much. Overall the waiters and waitresses were pretty amateur and very young, probably student jobs. It was fun to be on a boat though! I am overall very happy I didnt pay for it otherwise it would be 1*.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank LOLANetherlands
Reviewed August 10, 2013

My partner and I went to the SS Rotterdam today. Please do not visit - let me tell you why.
We arrived and took the lift upstairs to the onboard restaurant and bar. It is Saturday and we arrived at 5pm. We arrived with our 9 month-old daughter hoping to grab a quick coffee and maybe some snacks. We had planned nothing more than a quick visit. I had been looking forward to our visit, how wrong I was.

The bar and restaurant area is large with plenty of staff. I estimate that the entire place was under a third full and most of the tables reserved. So we arrived to a sea of empty tables.

We told the waitress we would like to be seated and have a quick drink and snack. We were refused a table suitable for a couple with a baby. It was absolutely clear we could not sit at a high table. There was absolutely no reason to be difficult, particularly as we explained we were going to be gone within 20 minutes from the outset. The staff showed no desire to help us, be flexible or indeed find a solution to our need. Its is unforgivable to turn away a couple with a baby from an empty restaurant.

The first waitress we spoke to couldn't help when the solution was simple. She had to go off and find a manager. When the manager came she was just as useless. She said exactly the same thing and offered us another crappy, unsuitable high table. All the while, there was a table of people sitting in the restaurant having drinks and snacks, just as we would have liked. The manager then said she would have to go and phone someone else! Who on earth she was going to speak to I do not know. Utterly inept.

The experience was horrible. The staff have no charisma, no desire to serve. Hospitality zero. They seemed of the opinion that customers are there for them, when it really is the other way round. After two failed attempts to sort the problem we walked away disgusted. The staff are no better than automatons. They didn't listen, they didn't appreciate their customer and they don't deserve to be in business or receive a penny in tips. Who on earth they think they are is unclear.

I had head quite a bit about SS Rotterdam, some good reviews, but we won't ever return. The place, although clean and spacious, is nothing special. It could be a cafeteria if you don't get caught up in the novelty of being on a ship. I have seen better cross channel ferries. The outside area has a splash pool which might be quite nice, but we didn't get to find out. It all seemed rather fake and our experience so far below the standards of Dutch hospitality to which I have become accustomed. There is better our there.

Today was awful. Save yourself the time, effort and money this place asks of you, because they sure won't give you anything back in return.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family