2,289 results
All reviewslido restaurantcruise shipclub roomwater taxiengine roomocean linerpromenade deckship hotelocean barcomplete tourpublic roomsopen deckbeautiful shipold ladyport holesformer gloryunique experience
Reviewed August 18, 2013

I was on SS Rotterdam last holidays with my boyfriend and it was really nice time! Impressions were very impressive. I cannot say anything bad for room service and food. Very nice staff. I hope i will come back there in the future!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank momoiro666
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I can only comment on the restaurant and the boat themselves as we did not try the hotel facilities. We spent our company christmas party there last year, we were about 50-60 people having drinks - open bar- and diner there. The bar is very nice and the drinks were served fast by very nice staff members. The diner was another story. By that stage we were getting drunk so we didnt really care but the food wasnt nice. One of my colleagues at my table actually found a large piece of plastic packaging in its amuse bouche. The tartare starter was the only nice thing in the whole meal. The meat in the main course was overcooked and hard, unedible. Red and white wines served at the table were poor quality. Dessert was OK, dont remember much. Overall the waiters and waitresses were pretty amateur and very young, probably student jobs. It was fun to be on a boat though! I am overall very happy I didnt pay for it otherwise it would be 1*.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank LOLANetherlands
Reviewed August 10, 2013

My partner and I went to the SS Rotterdam today. Please do not visit - let me tell you why.
We arrived and took the lift upstairs to the onboard restaurant and bar. It is Saturday and we arrived at 5pm. We arrived with our 9 month-old daughter hoping to grab a quick coffee and maybe some snacks. We had planned nothing more than a quick visit. I had been looking forward to our visit, how wrong I was.

The bar and restaurant area is large with plenty of staff. I estimate that the entire place was under a third full and most of the tables reserved. So we arrived to a sea of empty tables.

We told the waitress we would like to be seated and have a quick drink and snack. We were refused a table suitable for a couple with a baby. It was absolutely clear we could not sit at a high table. There was absolutely no reason to be difficult, particularly as we explained we were going to be gone within 20 minutes from the outset. The staff showed no desire to help us, be flexible or indeed find a solution to our need. Its is unforgivable to turn away a couple with a baby from an empty restaurant.

The first waitress we spoke to couldn't help when the solution was simple. She had to go off and find a manager. When the manager came she was just as useless. She said exactly the same thing and offered us another crappy, unsuitable high table. All the while, there was a table of people sitting in the restaurant having drinks and snacks, just as we would have liked. The manager then said she would have to go and phone someone else! Who on earth she was going to speak to I do not know. Utterly inept.

The experience was horrible. The staff have no charisma, no desire to serve. Hospitality zero. They seemed of the opinion that customers are there for them, when it really is the other way round. After two failed attempts to sort the problem we walked away disgusted. The staff are no better than automatons. They didn't listen, they didn't appreciate their customer and they don't deserve to be in business or receive a penny in tips. Who on earth they think they are is unclear.

I had head quite a bit about SS Rotterdam, some good reviews, but we won't ever return. The place, although clean and spacious, is nothing special. It could be a cafeteria if you don't get caught up in the novelty of being on a ship. I have seen better cross channel ferries. The outside area has a splash pool which might be quite nice, but we didn't get to find out. It all seemed rather fake and our experience so far below the standards of Dutch hospitality to which I have become accustomed. There is better our there.

Today was awful. Save yourself the time, effort and money this place asks of you, because they sure won't give you anything back in return.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Courts_11
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Stayed on the SS Rotterdam for 4 nights, costing £391 between 2 people for a superior room.
First impressions of the ship/hotel are very impressive. Looks great at night when it is lit up, and a good job has been done restoring and converting the ship into a nice hotel. Nice bar, with friendly staff, though we didn't make much of the dining options as they were all a little expensive.
The room was clean, spacious and had comfortable beds. The bathroom had a wet room shower, which I don't think is appropriate in a four star hotel (I despise it when water gets all over the bathroom floor!). Service was friendly and accommodating throughout the stay.
On the negative, the hotel is quite far from anything else, and it is about 20 minutes walk to the nearest metro station. A little annoying when strapped for time. There is a free shuttle from the ship to the metro, but hours are very limited. Parking at the designated space is also expensive at 15 euros for 24hrs. Breakfast is also 20 euros, so we did not partake.
This is a nice hotel with a few big drawbacks. However, the novelty of staying on a historic ship does ease these a little.

Room Tip: Cheaper standard rooms have no windows or wi-fi. Superior rooms have both.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank dillybansal
Reviewed August 5, 2013

As other reviewers have said this is a marvellous experience as, on a nice day, it is quite wonderful to sit out on the aft deck and have lunch whilst people watching. There is a swimming/paddling pool and it seems that a lot of local parents bring their children to splash about whilst they have a more civilised time eating and drinking. I didn't see this aspect of the ship advertised anywhere and it would be awful to turn up and your child wants to go in the pool but you've not brought anything. Prices are on a par with the rest of Rotterdam but charging us for three glasses of luke warm tapwater seemed a little OTT. We'd have bought a bottle of water if they'd told us this was the case. Still, it's all in a good cause?
Service however is shambolic at best, no-one seems to pass on any information and any request that is fulfilled takes an average of twenty minutes. A table near us, with an extended family, waited an hour for their lunch to arrive, luckily the children were enjoying the pool...
They're a lovely staff but management don't seem to have a grip on things. Eventually I asked a bloke in a black suit if we could have the bill and he said 'of course, sir'. Twenty minutes later it appeared...
Luckily we made the train

Room Tip: There are tables under umbrellas where it's cooler
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple