All reviewsno elevatorold buildingcozy hotelthe location is perfectlate at nightthe hotel stafftop floorcanalstairwaybikes
Reviewed April 15, 2014

We had booked three evenings but checked out after the first evening. While we knowingly booked on the thrid floor it was too much for our three year old. Stairs typical of Holland and no lift in the building. We may have been able to accept stairs had our room been decent but it was in very poor condition. The lightbulb was burnt out on the nightstand beside the bed, we could not access the internet (from two computers we were traveling with and had no difficulty the week prior in Germany and Belgium), and the phone line was also dead until the next morning. While the small bathroom was clean and updated recently, the same could not be said for the living/sleeping area. Bedspreads were old as was furniture. Assuming the room was clean, the experience may have been easier to accept had the hotel set a different rate for the rooms on the third floor- especially this one- cant see how this room can command anything more than 80 euros an evening.

When departing we looked in two rooms on the second floor and they appeared to have been upgraded more recently and were generally brighter.

Enough can not be said about the morning counter staff person and how they handled our situation. The staff receive top marks but management needs to seriously consider what rooms they are willing to rent to travellers and at what cost.

Room Tip: Room 358- nice clean updated bathroom but not much else to say positive about this room.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Todd E
NieuwMinerva, Owner at City Hotel Nieuw Minerva, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2014

Thank you for your response. We are sorry to hear that we have not fully met your expectations.
We could't offer you an other room, while the hotel was fully booked. We will take your comments serious. And we hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future and to offer you a great stay.
Greetings Jet Bos

Reviewed April 14, 2014

We stayed in this Hotel for four nights last week and overall our stay in Leiden was brilliant. The location of the hotel is good, it is about 10 minutes walk to the Rail and Bus stations and 5 minutes to the city centre. Leiden itself is a beautiful city with many attractions and I think we would come back here rather than stay in Amsterdam. The hotel overlooks one of the many canals that criss cross the city, our room which was at the front of the hotel we found to be noisy at night. The hotel itself can best be described as quirky, we felt that it would benefit from a bit of a makeover to brighten some of the interior and improve lighting in the corridors, our TV was fairly ancient and had an annoying habit of turning itself off. To be fair the room was clean and bathroom large and modern. Worryingly during our stay we saw only one person dining in the evening and nobody using the bar facilities. We felt that despite lots of local competition it should attract lots of guests in the evenings.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CREMM
Reviewed April 5, 2014

I have stayed here before but several years ago. My wife and I were visiting Leiden for a few days to catch up with friends and revisit old haunts as we lived in Leiden for a few months in 2010, and where better to stay than at The Nieuw Minerva, very centrally situated which is ideal for walking the city centre. I can't praise them enough for how we were looked after. My wife had broken her wrist on the morning of travelling to Holland and Sumaya Abdeen the receptionist was very kind and checked us into the Bridal Suite, no less!! The room was large with a 4 Poster and a bath in the room with separate shower, a pity we couldn't do it justice!! Can't comment on the food as we didn't eat in the hotel. If there is one criticism, the decor is becoming tired and in need of freshening up somewhat but nevertheless 'Highly recommended'!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 16, 2014

I have been staying at City Hotel Nieuw Minerva quite a lot the last year, due to a course I'm following in Leiden. The reason why I stay at this hotel is not only because of the ideal location in the centre of Leiden, but mostly because of the way the staff makes me feel welcome. It's a familyrun hotel and when travelling on your own, you feel easily like you're part of the family. Always interested in who I am and what I do, and that's what I like. The room is clean, bed sleeps well, shower is good and breakfast is reliable ( I like the fresh baked bread). They also serve food in the evening, even when you arrive quite late, it's a simple menu but good. Because of the location, in the centre of Leiden, you can expect some noise from the street but that's mostly in the weekend or during special events like 'Leiden Ontzet'. If you are looking for an intimate and personal hotel I would recommend City Hotel Nieuw Minerva.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Mirjam V
Reviewed February 26, 2014

If mainstream chain hotels are your preference then this hotel may not be for you, however if you appreciate a more traditional charming hotel with a mix of room types then stay here! You cannot fault the location, the cold breakfast is functional for a decent cup of coffee there are lots of coffee shops nearby.

The bedrooms are all different and all clean, you are normally treated to a choice of films on the TV with dutch subtitles! For us the WIFI was not working but I have stayed here a few times on business and that was the first time I had a problem. I have my own favourite room but will not share the number ;-) you need to stay in a few first!

Definitely stay here for an authentic experience of dutch culture.

Room Tip: Maybe a canal view is best to avoid the rooms at the back!
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business