All reviewsno elevatorold buildingcozy hotelthe location is perfectlate at nightthe hotel stafftop floorcanalstairwaybikes
Reviewed April 14, 2014

We stayed in this Hotel for four nights last week and overall our stay in Leiden was brilliant. The location of the hotel is good, it is about 10 minutes walk to the Rail and Bus stations and 5 minutes to the city centre. Leiden itself is a beautiful city with many attractions and I think we would come back here rather than stay in Amsterdam. The hotel overlooks one of the many canals that criss cross the city, our room which was at the front of the hotel we found to be noisy at night. The hotel itself can best be described as quirky, we felt that it would benefit from a bit of a makeover to brighten some of the interior and improve lighting in the corridors, our TV was fairly ancient and had an annoying habit of turning itself off. To be fair the room was clean and bathroom large and modern. Worryingly during our stay we saw only one person dining in the evening and nobody using the bar facilities. We felt that despite lots of local competition it should attract lots of guests in the evenings.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CREMM
Reviewed April 5, 2014

I have stayed here before but several years ago. My wife and I were visiting Leiden for a few days to catch up with friends and revisit old haunts as we lived in Leiden for a few months in 2010, and where better to stay than at The Nieuw Minerva, very centrally situated which is ideal for walking the city centre. I can't praise them enough for how we were looked after. My wife had broken her wrist on the morning of travelling to Holland and Sumaya Abdeen the receptionist was very kind and checked us into the Bridal Suite, no less!! The room was large with a 4 Poster and a bath in the room with separate shower, a pity we couldn't do it justice!! Can't comment on the food as we didn't eat in the hotel. If there is one criticism, the decor is becoming tired and in need of freshening up somewhat but nevertheless 'Highly recommended'!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 16, 2014

I have been staying at City Hotel Nieuw Minerva quite a lot the last year, due to a course I'm following in Leiden. The reason why I stay at this hotel is not only because of the ideal location in the centre of Leiden, but mostly because of the way the staff makes me feel welcome. It's a familyrun hotel and when travelling on your own, you feel easily like you're part of the family. Always interested in who I am and what I do, and that's what I like. The room is clean, bed sleeps well, shower is good and breakfast is reliable ( I like the fresh baked bread). They also serve food in the evening, even when you arrive quite late, it's a simple menu but good. Because of the location, in the centre of Leiden, you can expect some noise from the street but that's mostly in the weekend or during special events like 'Leiden Ontzet'. If you are looking for an intimate and personal hotel I would recommend City Hotel Nieuw Minerva.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Mirjam V
Reviewed February 26, 2014

If mainstream chain hotels are your preference then this hotel may not be for you, however if you appreciate a more traditional charming hotel with a mix of room types then stay here! You cannot fault the location, the cold breakfast is functional for a decent cup of coffee there are lots of coffee shops nearby.

The bedrooms are all different and all clean, you are normally treated to a choice of films on the TV with dutch subtitles! For us the WIFI was not working but I have stayed here a few times on business and that was the first time I had a problem. I have my own favourite room but will not share the number ;-) you need to stay in a few first!

Definitely stay here for an authentic experience of dutch culture.

Room Tip: Maybe a canal view is best to avoid the rooms at the back!
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed October 8, 2013

The hotel itself is very nice with a lot of character and perfectly situated for Leiden Town Centre and local amenities. The staff were really friendly, helpful and polite (although I've always had a soft spot for Dutch girls :-)

The first room I had, although spotlessly clean with a recently renovated bathroom, was actually very small, dingy, dark and depressing (number 16). The room was at the back of the hotel overlooking the kitchens and courtyard, surrounded on all four sides by the rest of the towering three storey hotel. Horrible, horrible, horrible. The TV was also very small and the lighting was harsh. But for some reason there was a huge desk in the room?!?! The shower was good.

So I complained and for the last night they moved me to a room at the front of the hotel (room 11) - wow what a difference (10 out of 10!!). A lovely view, very spacious, huge bathroom and a big improvement (although this time a small desk - ha ha, why don't they swap desks about I wonder!!)

The hotel breakfast was very convenient, if a little overpriced. And with it being the same choice of food everyday it became a bit monotonous - cold cheese, bread, boiled eggs, coffee and juice. Could've done with a bit of variety there - what about a full English for instance? Or croissants/pain au chocolat etc.

The hotel evening meal was very nice (steak) and very reasonably priced - better than the Mexican restaurant next door that's for certain! Although with there being plenty of eateries close by, I went to a different establishment every night - I liked The North End pub just down the street :-)

On check I noticed they'd charged me a further €7 to pay by Visa Debit card (never originally agreed to that!!)

All in all, a mixed bag. Would certainly use again, but I'd ensure I check the location of the room first.

Room Tip: Get a room at the front of the hotel. Otherwise the views are appalling!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank D_A180
NieuwMinerva, Owner at City Hotel Nieuw Minerva, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2013

Dear mr,
Thank you for your review.
We do not charge for debet visa cards.
We charge 7 euro for a simple continental breakfast.
We are great to hear that you like our new room number 11.
Greetings,