All reviews no elevator old building cozy hotel the location is perfect late at night the hotel staff top floor canal stairway bicycles
Reviewed April 20, 2011

I was looking forward to staying here based on reviews from other sites as well as the hotel's web site itself. However, this is one of those places that sounds/looks better than it is when seen in person. This was the third and final hotel of our bike trip and it was chosen by the tour provider to provide a convenient place to stay in Leiden, as well as offer protection for the bikes. On these two counts it succeeded. Only these two.

In the other hotels, our luggage (which was transported to the hotel and arrived before we did) was delivered to our rooms before we arrived. Not so here. We found the staff to be unfriendly at best. At breakfast time they were too busy making their own breakfast to help us out. I also was not pleased that we had to pay for the breakfast. It wasn't worth it.

The room was at least large and had a lovely view of the canal. Come nighttime, however, this was a drawback as Leiden is quite lively until all hours of the night. The bed was okay, but the duvet thing again with no top sheet really bothered me. How often is the duvet cover washed? And last but certainly not least, the towels were thin and ripped. Come on.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank beav
Reviewed August 2, 2010

Well situated within walking distance of everything you need in this town. The room was disappointingly small and poky given what we paid and the en suite shower could not have been tinier. The mattress was really soft and saggy and sleep was disrupted in the early hours by someone smoking and letting off the fire alarm. Breafast was good and best of all they happily stored our bicycles. Not recommended if comfort is your priority.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 17, 2010

A pleasant and friendly place to stay. Well located on a canal (so you know you're in Holland) and close to university and the main shops. Surprisingly to me smoking is still allowed in hotels and the third floor rooms are allocated to smokers and there are dirty smokers ashtrays at top of stairs (pretty disgusting to me). So make sure you specify non-smoking if you need to (I forgot to do this when booking, and as I did find the room itself without smoke taint I didn't change). Wifi is not free, and in fact over expensive, and so like most guests I talked to I used the free cable internet downstairs. It seems to me to be bad management practice to overcharge an essential service leading to most people not paying for it. Apart from this, a good value and pleasant place to stay.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank hobbit321
Reviewed April 11, 2010

My wife and I stayed here 2 nights, and it was very nice. We had the room of the Singer with no name, and the view of the canal was nice. It's only a short walk to bars and restaurants, and most of the attractions are within walking distance. There is no place outside to have a smoke, no garden in the back, no bench along the street. You can park close for 12 euro a day, or park about 1.5 kilometers away for 8 euro, and take a shuttle bus. Good breakfast of meats, cheeses, breads, boiled eggs, and cereal. Very nice staff.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank nursedude
Reviewed January 20, 2009

I have stayed in this hotel from time to time since 1985. It is in most respects an excellent hotel.

From time to time I have been put in a room with very noisy air conditioning/heating - which makes it a bit of a lottery.

The breakfast is great, and the location and atmosphere second to none. Having tried many hotels in Leiden, this still remains the best - in spite of noise problems.

Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business