“Not recommended”
Review of Pension Schaefer

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Leiden
Pension Schaefer
Ranked #11 of 15 Leiden B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Never stayed anywhere like it and I will not be going back or recommending it to anyone (unless there only other option was to stay on the street). The 1 bed room ground floor apartment has a phd student living in the 1 bedroom - she was unwelcoming and even wanted the key back before I went to bed. The small living room area has 4 ingle beds crammed into it, a small table and a wardrobe. This room opens directly onto the street. The room also has a kitchenette in the corner - this was quite dirty and didn't even have a kettle so we had to boil water in a pan to make a drink. The cooker extractor didn't work so you had to prop the front door open to get rid of any cooking smells. The bathroom (a wet room) was dirty. There was no privacy as the 4 guests were in 1 room for cooking, eating, sleeping and relaxing. It perhaps only survives as there seems to be no other hostel accommodation in Leiden. I was relieved to be leaving after only 1 night. It felt like couch surfing with someone who didn't want you there, and you were paying them for the privilege.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Pension Schaefer

Reviewed January 12, 2013

I stayed for a couple of months because the university was out of short-term housing, and it worked out very well. It's located on a quiet street, just a couple blocks off of Haarlemmerstraat, the main shopping street. I was delighted to find the rooms to be bright and pristine. The room I had is very clean, comfortable and fully-equipped with necessities of a short or long-term stay. There's a nice balance between privacy and contact, as the studios have their own separate entrance from the main home where guests go have breakfast each morning. I'm surprised about the commentary from some guests regarding the owner. A couple of things to keep in mind are that it is a business run solely by the owner, and there is no 'front desk' person or night porter. The advantage of this is that rates are very reasonable for such quality rooms and location. Most seasoned travelers know that the reality of a small B&B is that guests can't really show-up whenever they arrive and check-in. If you show-up significantly late or early without contacting the owner first, it is a huge inconvenience to them as they are working with other guests, running errands in town, keeping other appointments, etc. I prefer places like this because you really get to connect with the ownership and the locals as opposed to paying a lot more for the sake of having a night porter on staff.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 16, 2012

I stayed here for nearly a month whilst working in Leiden. Some of the reviews give a very negative view of the owner, but I actually found her good company - you eat breakfast with her (and her dogs) each morning, where she seems to take a genuine interest in each of her guests. As pointed out by another reviewer, not what you would find in a chain hotel and no the worse for it. I stayed in two different rooms whilst I was there, both large and with their own kitchen. Overall, very good value and if work takes me back to Leiden, I shall certainly stay here.

Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank mrbantam
Reviewed June 25, 2011

I haven't seen smth like that. 'Horribly' is too gentle to describe it. Totally opposite for what I got used to see in Holland. I won't write about irritation and hostility of hostess for sake of brevity. It will be enough tp say that after all cries she took us to the room with dog's excrement in the middle..

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank JabberW
Reviewed January 19, 2011

You won't find a better price in Leiden, unless you're willing to sacrifice something. No need to do that: here you get a decent location, a comfortable room (with a fully equipped kitchen!), an excellent breakfast, and a very kind hostess. Despite what some other reviewers have said, the hostess is not rude and certainly not mean; she is Dutch. This means that she is frank and blunt to a point which might be considered rude in other countries. Personally, I find this Dutch directness refreshing. Of course, if your feelings are easily hurt, you may want to stick with a multinational hotel chain (or simply avoid the Netherlands altogether).

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank Valckenaer
Reviewed May 17, 2010

I also had a very bad experience with the hostess. I sleep in Leiden very regularly and it was during my 3rd stay. I hadn't bothered to check whether the appointment that was made weeks earlier was indeed standing so I arrived saying in a good-natured way "I hope that I'm expected". This immediately set her on edge. Then after she gave me the key she said that she wanted to show me the room and I inquired if that was necessary because I was in a big hurry ( I had an important appointment which I wanted to make). That was the second mistake and did it for her. She now became very unpleasant and made it clear that I was no longer welcome. I even explained that there was no reason for her to be so angry because I had not meant to criticise her ( I was doubting my own organisation rather than hers). But she was dermined to be angry. Of course I left.
I know that she can be friendly but she considers it your duty as a paying guest to be extra patient and friendly with her rather than the other way round. Olso she takes the slightest hint of perceived criticism very personal and things can get ugly. She also hates being bothered. This is also based on my previous two visits.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank JeanS_10
Reviewed May 11, 2009

I really enjoyed my 6-days stay at schaefer's residence. I recommend this hostel to anyone, if you're in leiden on vacation, or to do research, anything! Fresh orange juice in the moring and the bus stops across the street.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business