“Modern, with a vieuw”

City Resort Hotel Leiden
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Leiden
Reviewed July 22, 2014

We had booked our stay by travelbird. On arrival they could not find our reservation. But the girl at reception assured us, that she would fix this!
We got a great room. Wonderfull vieuw,
Wellness and sauna very good. We booked also a massage. Also splendid.
The only thing i could comment on is in the morning during breakfast: we were early about 08u15 and there were no servingspoons fir the eggs so i asked a weathress, she asked her college behind the bar and his comment was"what no spoons, they are there" so i said no they aren't, and he shouted you could have taken the spoons fot eating youghurt.
He should not have doubted my comment, he made feel like a fool.The next day the proper spoons were there.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Manuelafrank
Daphne_Koot, Front Office Manager at City Resort Hotel Leiden, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2014

Dear Manuelafrank,

Thank you very much for your recent stay at Hampshire Hotel Fitland Leiden.

I am very sorry for the inconvenience you have had during your breakfast. The reaction from one of you employees is not the reaction he should give you therefore I will discus this with the food & beverage manager. Once more my apologies.

Hopefully you will visit our hotel again when you are in Leiden.

Reviewed July 12, 2014

Yes, it's true that the hotel rooms only occupy the top 3 floors of a 12 story building. But the lift is quick and efficient. The rooms are clean and comfortable. The front entrance is perhaps 50 metres from the rear entrance of the rail station, but don't worry about a noise problem.
Reception was efficient and helpful, and the whole place was good value for money.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank QuiltedPsychoBunny

Dear Guest,

First of all thank you very much for staying at Hampshire Hotel Fitland Leiden and the great review you wrote for us on TripAdvisor.

I am very happy to read that we have met your expectations during your stay.

Hopefully you will choose our hotel again when you are in Leiden.

Reviewed June 28, 2014 via mobile

The hotel has a great location and rooms are comfortable.
Unfortunately the service of the staff is poor (why to repeat 3 times at different intercoms that you want to get in the hotel when parking). Check in is beyond slow and you can see in everything that this is an office building turned hotel.
Combine this with my bad experience in the restaurant and i prefer other hotels closeby.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Daphne_Koot, Front Office Manager at City Resort Hotel Leiden, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I am very sorry to read that we did not met your expectations. We do our utmost to improve ourselfs. So I hope we may welkom you back in the near future so you can experience it by yourself.

Reviewed June 21, 2014

Forget about the concept of what a hotel should be.
We are talking about utilizing the 2 top floors of a 12 floor building. The rest is a gym.
Reception is a small office hidden somewhere on the ground floor inbetween other offices.
Location is Excellent (next door to the train station - Unfortunately taxi drivers didn't know that).
Room is amazing and very modern.
Service is very good (polite and kind)
Breakfast is below average (quality/quantity/service). It is not the hotel's restaurant that is serving the food, but the local bar-kitchen for the gym.
Overall a very good option for professionals

Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for the time you took to write your review.

We do understand that everything is a bit more complicated in such a big building. Unfortunately we are not the only user of the building.

Part of our hotel services we also do have 2 a sport and wellness area, 2 restaurants where you can have breakfast, lunch and dinner.

We will take your feedback about our breakfast very serious so we can improve ourselves.

Hopefully you will choose our hotel once more when you visit Leiden again.

Reviewed June 21, 2014

I travel regularly to Leiden on business. This hotel has an excellent location near the central train station. Check in was not smooth. I reserved a room the night before so I could check in the morning of arrival. My room was given away and I had to wait to have a new one cleaned. There was only person at check in taking calls and handling the desk and there were a lot of interruptions with her answering phone calls. Lobby not very inviting but staff was very friendly.

The room and bathroom was spacious, clean and modern. However, no coffee machine, no clock, no iron, no privacy with the weird door on the toilet / shower, no closet space, no shelves for clothes.

Good restaurant, good fitness center, and use of the swimming pool from 7 to 10 am.

Billing is weird for business where they list the individual food items on the bill summary. Not easy for completing expense reports.

Housekeeping: 3 different days they forgot to give me soap and towels. No rapid dial to the desk. Had to go down to the lobby to get my stuff.

Room Tip: Top level, overlooking the medical school quad. Nice view, western sun, and quiet

Dear Guest,

Thank you very muc for your stay at Hampshire Hotel Fitland Leiden. I am very sorry to hear that your experience wasn't what you expected. Therefor I would like to ask you to contact me by Phone +31 71 870 02 60 so we can talk about your stay.

Looking forward to hear from you.

Reviewed June 15, 2014

Location is perfect, next door to train station, but you wouldn't know it, inside is silent. Easy 15 minute walk past the canals to the main area for restaurants. The rooms were very spacious as was the bathroom, very modern with 360 degree turning tv and a big bed. Was a bit like a maze trying to find the bar, restaurant and swimming pool but got to see more of the building! Just what we needed for a work trip, can't see any other hotel in leiden beating this one

1  Thank BluenoseJosh

Dear Bluenose Josh,

What a great review, thank you very much! We do appreciate it! Hopefully you will visit our hotel in the near future.

Kinde regards,

Reviewed June 14, 2014

I say "accidental" because the "hotel" is really just the top 3 (?) floors of an existing office building. The staff if very nice and very professional. If you're into working out when you travel (like I am), you'll find that the fitness room could rival most professional gyms...ample bikes, treadmills, etc. and some unique equipment (e.g. rope climber, etc.).

I list pros/cons below, but the biggest negative is the lack of a clear path to the ground floor without an elevator. The rooms this hotel owns are on the top floors of the building. My room was on the 11th floor and one day I decided to walk down using the stairs and discovered that there is a LOCKED DOOR on the 8 floor stairwell!!! This means that, in the unfortunate event that there is a fire, there is no escape for the residents. I asked the front desk about it and she assured me that the doors would "open in the event of a fire", but honestly, that didn't reassure me very much. I can't believe that such a modern city would allow locked stairwells - I have never seen that before.

Positives:
- Staff is very nice and will do anything to help you
- Hotel is literally at Leiden Centraal Station...everything that this awesome city has to offer is just minutes away by foot and all other attractions are just a train/bus ride away.
- Room is clean and modern
- Fitness center is the best I've ever seen at a hotel - and I travel a lot.

Negatives:
- Biggest negative is the lack of a clear path to the ground floor in the event of an emergency
- Laundry: I stayed for a month, so obviously I had to do laundry a few times. When I travel in the States, I always bring about $10 in quarters for laundry, and that's good for a few loads. Here I had to have the laundry done for me by someone else. Here's a synopsis: $2 for a pair of socks (!!)...$9 for a pair of jeans (!!). Needless to say I spent hundreds of dollars in laundry. They really need a room full of washers/dryers.

4  Thank Randy B

Dear mr. Randy B,

First of all thank you for your stay at Hampshire Hotel Fitland Leiden.

Like you mentioned in your review there are indeed fences between several floors. A school is located in the same building therefor we do have fences between de 7th an 8th floor so that the students can't walk around in our corridors. In cause of any emergency the fences will open automatic.
I am very happy to read that the staff was very nice and helpful during your stay and off course your compliments about our fitness centre.

Hopefully you will choose our hotel when you visit Leiden in the near future.

Kind Regards,