“Hotel in a Gym”

Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Leiden
Veroia, Greece
“Hotel in a Gym”
Reviewed June 21, 2014

Forget about the concept of what a hotel should be.
We are talking about utilizing the 2 top floors of a 12 floor building. The rest is a gym.
Reception is a small office hidden somewhere on the ground floor inbetween other offices.
Location is Excellent (next door to the train station - Unfortunately taxi drivers didn't know that).
Room is amazing and very modern.
Service is very good (polite and kind)
Breakfast is below average (quality/quantity/service). It is not the hotel's restaurant that is serving the food, but the local bar-kitchen for the gym.
Overall a very good option for professionals

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Daphne_Koot, Front Office Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Fitland Leiden, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for the time you took to write your review.

We do understand that everything is a bit more complicated in such a big building. Unfortunately we are not the only user of the building.

Part of our hotel services we also do have 2 a sport and wellness area, 2 restaurants where you can have breakfast, lunch and dinner.

We will take your feedback about our breakfast very serious so we can improve ourselves.

Hopefully you will choose our hotel once more when you visit Leiden again.

Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Evanston, Illinois
Reviewed June 21, 2014

I travel regularly to Leiden on business. This hotel has an excellent location near the central train station. Check in was not smooth. I reserved a room the night before so I could check in the morning of arrival. My room was given away and I had to wait to have a new one cleaned. There was only person at check in taking calls and handling the desk and there were a lot of interruptions with her answering phone calls. Lobby not very inviting but staff was very friendly.

The room and bathroom was spacious, clean and modern. However, no coffee machine, no clock, no iron, no privacy with the weird door on the toilet / shower, no closet space, no shelves for clothes.

Good restaurant, good fitness center, and use of the swimming pool from 7 to 10 am.

Billing is weird for business where they list the individual food items on the bill summary. Not easy for completing expense reports.

Housekeeping: 3 different days they forgot to give me soap and towels. No rapid dial to the desk. Had to go down to the lobby to get my stuff.

Room Tip: Top level, overlooking the medical school quad. Nice view, western sun, and quiet
Dear Guest,

Thank you very muc for your stay at Hampshire Hotel Fitland Leiden. I am very sorry to hear that your experience wasn't what you expected. Therefor I would like to ask you to contact me by Phone +31 71 870 02 60 so we can talk about your stay.

Looking forward to hear from you.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 15, 2014

Location is perfect, next door to train station, but you wouldn't know it, inside is silent. Easy 15 minute walk past the canals to the main area for restaurants. The rooms were very spacious as was the bathroom, very modern with 360 degree turning tv and a big bed. Was a bit like a maze trying to find the bar, restaurant and swimming pool but got to see more of the building! Just what we needed for a work trip, can't see any other hotel in leiden beating this one

1 Thank BluenoseJosh
Dear Bluenose Josh,

What a great review, thank you very much! We do appreciate it! Hopefully you will visit our hotel in the near future.

Kinde regards,

Reviewed June 14, 2014

I say "accidental" because the "hotel" is really just the top 3 (?) floors of an existing office building. The staff if very nice and very professional. If you're into working out when you travel (like I am), you'll find that the fitness room could rival most professional gyms...ample bikes, treadmills, etc. and some unique equipment (e.g. rope climber, etc.).

I list pros/cons below, but the biggest negative is the lack of a clear path to the ground floor without an elevator. The rooms this hotel owns are on the top floors of the building. My room was on the 11th floor and one day I decided to walk down using the stairs and discovered that there is a LOCKED DOOR on the 8 floor stairwell!!! This means that, in the unfortunate event that there is a fire, there is no escape for the residents. I asked the front desk about it and she assured me that the doors would "open in the event of a fire", but honestly, that didn't reassure me very much. I can't believe that such a modern city would allow locked stairwells - I have never seen that before.

Positives:
- Staff is very nice and will do anything to help you
- Hotel is literally at Leiden Centraal Station...everything that this awesome city has to offer is just minutes away by foot and all other attractions are just a train/bus ride away.
- Room is clean and modern
- Fitness center is the best I've ever seen at a hotel - and I travel a lot.

Negatives:
- Biggest negative is the lack of a clear path to the ground floor in the event of an emergency
- Laundry: I stayed for a month, so obviously I had to do laundry a few times. When I travel in the States, I always bring about $10 in quarters for laundry, and that's good for a few loads. Here I had to have the laundry done for me by someone else. Here's a synopsis: $2 for a pair of socks (!!)...$9 for a pair of jeans (!!). Needless to say I spent hundreds of dollars in laundry. They really need a room full of washers/dryers.

4 Thank Randy B
Dear mr. Randy B,

First of all thank you for your stay at Hampshire Hotel Fitland Leiden.

Like you mentioned in your review there are indeed fences between several floors. A school is located in the same building therefor we do have fences between de 7th an 8th floor so that the students can't walk around in our corridors. In cause of any emergency the fences will open automatic.
I am very happy to read that the staff was very nice and helpful during your stay and off course your compliments about our fitness centre.

Hopefully you will choose our hotel when you visit Leiden in the near future.

Kind Regards,

ScotinCzech
Reviewed June 7, 2014

Large,dirty hotel adjacent to the main railway station. Hopeless reception staff, dirty rooms with no privacy between bedroom, toilet and bathroom, no cupboard space unless you travel with one shirt or dress, terrible food. This place caters only for the paying users of the fitness centres. Hotel guests are there only to fill the spaces between the floors. Noise from the railway is day and night, the noise from the sports equipment starts very early and at one stage, even brought down ceiling panels and lighting outside our room. On checking out early, they even told us we were not allowed to leave before our scheduled time! We packed quickly and moved to a much better class of hotel, which was also cheaper! This place has been taken off of our company's list of convenient hotels for our travelling executives.

Room Tip: find a room in another hotel
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank grahamcg
Daphne_Koot, Front Office Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Fitland Leiden, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
Dear Mrs. Grahamcg,

We are very sorry to hear that we did not met your expectations therefore I would like to ask you to contact me directly bij phone +31 (071) 870 02 60 or by email daphne.koot@fitland.nl.

Looking forward hearing from you.

Budapest
Reviewed June 4, 2014

If you come by train don't follow the signs to Leiden Central, it's just on the opposite exit - but literally near the train station.
The rooms are modern and cosy with a nice view to the surrondings.
I really liked the spa&fitness part - but don't forget that from 10AM it's dutch style - so no pants allowed.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for you review on Tripadvisor. We are happy to read that you liked the spa& fitness in our hotel. The wellness area is indeed without swimming cloths but every Tuesday wellness guest are allowed to wear swimming cloths if they wish. Hopefully we may welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed June 2, 2014

I was extremely surprised by my pleasant stay at this surprise find! Was in Leiden for business and booked online with minimal information! This is not a "normal" hotel - reception is small and not well advertised on the ground floor of a large new multipurpose building just as you step out from the Central Train Station - literally just outside the north exit of the station! Rooms are large for Europe, very clean with a wonderful modern functional bathroom, large King Size bed, very comfortable. As I said - the hotel is in a multi -purpose building so it may feel a bit scattered but nonetheless it works. I did not have breakfast as I opted for the multitude of Cafes a few minutes walk away! Wonderful restaurant on the top floor with a fantastic view..... the clincher - if you love to be pampered in a spa.... probably the best I've been to.. come see for yourself!

1 Thank Satravellar
Dear Satravellar,

Thank you very much for your stay and the lovely words you wrote about our hotel. The view from restaurant Top Level are fantastic. Once more we would like to thank you for your recommendation. We hope to see you back soon in our hotel.