“quite good”

Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Leiden
Nuernberg, Germany
“quite good”
Reviewed December 31, 2013

some little details in the room could be made better. really good sauna area.
breakfast was alright, but not superior. the restaurant we didn't test. helpful service personal. rate and performance are o.k.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hampshire Hotels

Daphne_Koot, Front Office Manager at City Resort Hotel Leiden, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor. We are very happy to read that you liked Hampshire Hotel Fitland Level Leiden. I also would like to thank you for your compliment about our helpful staff, I will share this with them during our next meeting.

I hope to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind regards,

Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Nairn, Scotland
Reviewed November 12, 2013

I stay in this hotel for 4 nights per week as it is close to my office, I have stayed there since it opened in October, first the good things............The gym and the Welness centre are fantastic, the gym has all of the latest equipment, they also let me use the running machines at 6am before it is open at 7, yes the Welness requires you to be naked, but they provide gowns and towels, so it's not as though people are wandering about naked! I don't spend much time swimming underwater checking out if people are clothed so it isn't really an issue for me,......the best bit, the place is usually deserted each night when I go after 7!

The rooms are clean and well designed, I don't find them plasticky as someone said earlier, but I do find them a touch on the cold side and even after raising the thermostat the room never feels anything other than slightly warm.

The beds are comfartable and have really nice pillows and duvets!

Now the bad bits.....................the bloody door keys never seem to work and it's 10 floors to get back down to reception to change the card, this happened 5 times in a row in the one night!!, No room service, which is incredibly annoying!

The menus in the restaurant are all in Dutch (Yes I know I'm in the Netherlands!) but the views almost make up for it.

The hotel has the potential to be a great place, I'm going to cut them a bit of slack as they are newly opened (and the staff have been very helpfull & apologetic!), as I said I am staying here long term, so I will come back and update my review.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Daphne_Koot, Front Office Manager at City Resort Hotel Leiden, responded to this review, December 8, 2013
Dear loyal guest,

Thank you very much for posting a response on tripadvisor.com. First of all we are very happy that you are such a loyal guest. It is good to read that you like the gym and wellness.
After your comments we have reprogrammed the door locks and keys. After this we did not have that many problems with it. Hopefully you do experience the same. As you maybe already know we do serve room service now. We hope you enjoy it.

Once more we would like to thank you for visiting us that much.

Kind Regards,

Eindhoven, Nederland
Reviewed November 10, 2013

This is a newly opened hotel Hampshire Hotel which is closely related to a very modern wellness resort Fitland. It's all on the upper floors of the huge Level building, really at the exit of the Leiden Central railway station. Excellent fast connections to Schiphol Airport, Amsterdam and The Hague, next to the Leiden historic city center. The combination with the welness and fitness centre is exceptional and we think very attractive. There are saunas of all kinds and a fabulous huge stainless steel pool with a great view. And yes, as it was described in a preceding Tripadvisor review, according to Dutch standards the wellness resort including the pool is intended for use withour any swimwear, that is naked. That really is great, it is a divine feeling to swim there without restrictive clothing and everyone does so, why bother? But also in other ways it's like paradise here. No fears for anyone, there usually is a large female majority in the resort. The hotel is well managed with friendly personnel. It's all in the opening phase still, we understood, so there mey be some imperfections, like the lack of signs to show the way around in the huge building. But we had a very pleasant short stay anyway..

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Travel_Couple_NL
Daphne_Koot, Front Office Manager at City Resort Hotel Leiden, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review. We are glad to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us. Your kind comments about our wellness are very appreciated. Please note that we have also taken your other comment into account.
We hope that we will have the honor to welcome you back to Hampshire Hotel Fitland Level Leiden in the near future.

Kind regards

Dumfries
Reviewed October 12, 2013

YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED IN THE SWIMMING POOL UNLESS YOU ARE COMPLETELY NAKED. The only bloody reason I chose this hotel was the pool looks awesome. However, it's a swimwear-free zone except for one hour on a Tuesday. This is not optional - the receptionist has just said "you must wear no clothes" - there was no budging her on this one. I know this is the norm in a lot of continental pools and spas, and I'm ok with it in a single-sex sauna. But this pool is fully mixed sex, and it says nothing about the swimwear rule on the website. Yes, yes, I KNOW you think us Brits are a bit prudish, but I'm not getting naked with a bunch of men I've never met! If they want to attract international business travellers, they need to relax this rule! Rubbish.

The hotel itself is a faceless black and white plastic box with a lot of cheap blingy bits and pieces. Things will break and it will get dirty and look pretty tacky pretty quickly. I think I'm just about the only guest, and it feels a bit creepy. The staff aren't particularly friendly or helpful which is a shame as they don't appear to have much to do. Could be anywhere.

It's right outside the station entrance but there are no signs and the only way I found it was by reading other people's reviews. I said this to the receptionist and she just laughed.

As others have said, it's still a building site. Not worth even the discounted rate. They certainly need to put in a LOT more effort. And maybe sack the manager.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
8 Thank Sunshineinyourlife
Good evening Madame,

First of all we would like to thank you for your stay in Hampshire Hotel Fitland Level Leiden. We also would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay.
We completely understand your disappointed about the fact that swimwear is allowed in the pool from 7am -10:30 am, and from that time

It is said to hear that the experience with our pool was not what it should have been. Guests can enjoy our swimming pool between 7:00 and 10:30 with swimwear,
then the pool is part of our Wellness and it becomes a nude area. We will mention this information immediately to all websites to ensure that customers are properly informed.

We are very sorry to hear that the staff wasn’t very helpful and friendly. As you understand, Hampshire Hotel Fitland Level Leiden strives to deliver the best service possible. The experience
you describe does not fit to our level of expertise. Please be informed we took all your feedback about signing very seriously and we did improve this already.

We hope to be able to welcome you back in the near future.

Kind Regards,