“Interesting museum with some great stuff for kids too”
Review of Museum Boerhaave

Museum Boerhaave
Book In Advance
More Info
$286.37*
and up
Private Guided Tour of Center and Prehistoric Antiquities Museum with Art...
Ranked #17 of 71 things to do in Leiden
More attraction details
Owner description: Please note that our museum is currently closed for renovation. At the end of 2017 we will re-open our new museum at the same location.
Reviewed July 30, 2013

This museum shows the history of science and medicine. Whereas not everything will be of interest to children, there are usually some great exhibitions and workshops especially for kids.

Reviewed May 16, 2013

I had the impression this was going to be a small museum, but it is in fact quite large. Quite interesting to see all the medical instruments. I was not so keen on the astronomical part, but it's very good if that is your thing. I would not go out of my way to fit it in, but it's very good if you have nothing to do on a rainy day!

Reviewed February 4, 2013

This lovely old building was a former hospital and now houses some wonderful exhibits of science, medicine, physics, chemistry and more.
So many great collections and it's fun for the kids as well with the interactive displays.
This is a real part of old Leiden.

Reviewed August 26, 2012

Living and working in Leiden right now so trying to see as much of this vibrant city over the weekends that I am here. Decided to head to the Boerhaave Museam this afternoon. The museum is easy to locate and there are street signs everywhere pointing you in the right direction and its pretty central. Entered the museum and the staff member explained in detail how the route worked and also provided me with headphones and a translation box so I had all the required information in english in my ear at the touch of a button, The museum contains lots of interesting stuff from ealry medical experiments and equipment to modern devices we know and use daily and take for granted. I mostly enjoyed seeing the anatomical specimens contained within jars and a detailed explanation on how medical equipment such as the iron lung were first developed and how they play such an important part in modern hospitals today. The museum aslo has a coffee area, library and shop - worth a visit if you are in Leiden.

Reviewed August 14, 2012

Everything you want to know about physics, astronomy, biology, medicine and chemistry, or as the museum puts it "historical sciences and medicine" you can find here. All the old Leiden masters (Huygens for instance) are presented here. The museum offers a lot of interactive exhibits and presents it's collection in large halls with lots of natural light. I want to visit this museum again!

1  Thank Erikz_nl