“congenial but not luxurious”
Review of De Doelen

De Doelen
Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in Leiden
Reviewed April 24, 2012

If you are looking for a base in the centre of Leiden which is convenient but no-frills, this is a good option. It is small and friendly, with an historic air. Staircases are impressive wooden structures which would be a challenge to the partially-mobile; however, there are downstairs rooms available. There is a slightly musty smell around the staircases - perhaps the carpets need a shampoo? Although the hotel overlooks a canal, not all rooms benefit from the view - mine looked out onto a wall, air conditioner, and tiled roof. Conversely, I suppose there is less street noise from such rooms. The room was small, but adequate. Sufficient toiletries, though I didn't find any tissues. There was a small kettle, and the wherewithal for tea (one bag) and coffee. Plenty of towels. No problem with wi-fi in the room. A small TV has a good choice of channels, including plenty of English-speaking ones. I slept well, undisturbed by noise. Breakfast was perfectly OK, with cereals, ham, cheese, yogurt, etc. Bread was rather tasteless, but adequate. If you stay here, it will probably not be the historic stay of all time, but the owners do a good and efficient job, and any complaints were very minor.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed April 24, 2012

We stayed 4 nights on a trip to see the Keukenhof gardens, bulb fields etc. The hotel is on the canal in one of Leidens most impressive streets with several historic buildings and museums close by.

We had a room on the top (2nd) floor overlooking the canal, with a loft sitting area! If you have problems with stairs you will need to ensure you are on the ground floor. The stairs are steep and there is no lift. The room was clean and comfortable, not luxurious.

The owner and staff were very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was a buffet and we were happy to enjoy it for 4 mornings..

Parking is an issue in Leiden. You can park outside the hotel, on the canal side (requires some confidence as there is no barrier!) currently costing Euro 12.40 for 24 hours. pay and display;coins or cards only. The card instructions are in Dutch and being risk averse we did not use one. The alternative is a park and ride about half a mile away served by the city shuttle bus which operates almost like a taxi and will take you anywhere in the city centre. We found this very useful and the drivers were very helpful. The car park is pay on exit and will take notes as well as coins and cards. We did not think it much cheaper than the parking meters.

We were visiting during one of the busiest weekends of the year at the Keukenhof and decided to use the bus service from Centraal Station. We purchased a combined travel and entry ticket from the Tourist Info. Bureau about 100 yards away. No queuing for entry at Keukenhof.

We had an excellent, if expensive, meal at Idd in den doofpot, ate twice at the Italian restaurant below City Hall and would recommend both very different retaurants.

We loved Leiden and hope we have the opportunity to return. The publicity material claims 2700 listed buildings and we can believe it!

If we do return we would have no qualms about staying at the De Doelen again.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank GeorgeB1
Reviewed October 29, 2011

Spent two nights at De Doelen and could not have been happier. William greeted us with smiles , coffee and choice of room - we ended up in #15. Perfect! Lovely bed with great linens - fireplace with original Delft tile - great bathtub and view of the canal. Great central location.
Woman at desk very helpful and sweet. Felt like I was with very good friends. Breakfast was just medium - could have used some fresh fruit - but minor issue. I visited other Leiden hotels and this is by far the best. Would go back in a minute.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 17, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights recently. The hotel was about a 10-15 minute leisurely walk from the train station. Also we walked everywhere around Leiden and found that this was an excellent location for us. We had room #18,, which is the room that is literally 12 inches inside the front door on the right.. the breakfast room is right across the hallway. With that said,, we did not find it inconvenient at all...We did not experience loud street noises at all, luckily. I can't comment about the breakfast because we didn't eat breakfast at all at the hotel... The front desk person was friendly and helpful. However, if you are checking out early, like we did, (7:15am) it is best to settle up the night before.. Even though the breakfast supposedly starts at 7:30 am, we did not find anyone at all at the reception desk up through 7:20am. We ended up calling the emergency phone number listed at the desk to explain that we were checking out and left the key on the desk. Our room was large actually, and the bathroom was large also, although a little out dated. Still, the bed was comfortable and the room met all of our needs,, we would definitely stay at this hotel again if we find ourselves in Leiden.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LAfromFL
Reviewed September 13, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for 4 or 5 nights in August 2011. It is a quaint, historical place with friendly and trusting staff. I was in #15 and it was quite a large room with a four poster bed and a large bathroom which had a small shower as well as a big tub. One of my light bulbs blew and I called down to reception and in a few minutes the problem was solved! The room overlooked the street which could be a little noisy (but it is a university town - students having a good time) but it did not bother me as I was staying in the room alone as my son had moved into his place at the university, so the sounds were somewhat comforting. Bed was comfy and sheets and towels were clean! Nice breeze came through the window when opened. Tv was small but it worked. Breakfast is available but I never had breakfast so I cannot comment on that. No lunch or dinner is served here but their is easy walking to restaurants and shopping! Although the hotel could do with some upgrading, all in all it is a charming place (you could feel the history) and I would stay there again.

Room Tip: #15 - large room and large bathroom. The room also overlooked a canal. Lovely.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 4, 2011

I really enjoyed my stay at this hotel. It is very centrally located, in an old building with lots of character and an imposing staircase, along a beautiful canal, in a good neighborhood, with plenty to do around about it.

I stayed for two nights, with a friend who was sufficiently enamored by the place to speak of opening a trip advisor account to review it. I have beaten him to it.

The hotel itself is fairly basic, and the age of the building makes it likely that rooms are variable in size. We had no complaints. We were given a large twin room, with two equally large windows. The room was on the first floor, overlooking a court yard, allowing plenty of natural light to enter. The furnishings were in character with the building, and the room was clean and functional.

A particular draw for us was the receptionist. She was friendly, and exceptionally helpful.

My previous visit to Leiden was some years earlier. On that occasion, I stayed in a very small room at the Minerva, which I thought was also a nice hotel. Things may well have changed during the passage of time, but I thought de Doelen compared favourably with that stay. The Minerva perhaps has the more attractive foyer; but the room I stayed in at de Doelen was far superior.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 5, 2011

Hotel de Doelen is a basic yet charming place to stay...it's like staying at an old canal house. Our room was clean and comfortable with a view of the canal. Hotel de Doelen is a great place to use as a center for a trip to Amsterdam & the city of Leiden. The hotel is a 10 min walk (max) from the train station, and around the corner from everything in Leiden. We did not eat at the hotel, there are plenty of places to get all of your meals within a 2 min walk.

If our travels bring us back to the beautiful city of Leiden, we will be staying at the Hotel de Doelen.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family