“uitstekend!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Restaurant Dartel

Restaurant Dartel
Reserve with
Restaurant Dartel is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #55 of 276 Restaurants in Leiden
Cuisines: French, European, Dutch
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
netherlands
“uitstekend!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

Dartel was just faultless from start to finish. We had the Chef's menu with wine to match each course, and everything was perfection. Service from the minute we arrived was smooth and professional; friendly without being invasive. Even the amuses were stunning, and every course a treat for the senses. Attractive details in the decor, the most comfortable chairs we have ever experienced in a restaurant, and no rushing to clear the table. You don't leave feeling as if you have consumed a sofa, but contented with the amount and variety of flavours and textures. Highly recommended for a special occasion or romantic evening; unlike some modern restaurants which are a triumph of style over substance, Dartel is the 'real deal' and we will try not to leave it a year between meals like last time.

• Visited August 2012
2 Thank jetgirlNetherlands

France
“Stunning”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2012

This little restaurant, run by a young couple, deserves a Michelin star. It is one of the best places I have eaten in outside France. The system is simple: beside the a la carte they have a surprise menu of 4, 5 or 6 courses (small portions), at 3 different prices, with a wine option that will give you a glass of their choice with each dish. We chose 4 courses, to which were added some little 'mises en bouche', and the cuisine was astonishingly good. One review I'd read said 'Take the evening for it' and they were right: we arrived at 7:45 and left at 11:45; but no classical concert could have given us greater artistic satisfaction and pleasure. I had the salmon tartare, the veal, a cheese plate and a dessert I can't remember; my friend had scallops and monkfish, also with a cheese plate and dessert. We emerged with a glow of real joy, and the sense of an artist having given us of his best. NB: they have a good website in both Dutch and English.

Visited June 2012
3 Thank roger41France
“Almost perfect, almost..”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2012 via mobile

I was taken out to dinner at Dartel for my birthday (Jan 2012) I tried some of the most interesting and well executed dishes I have ever tried in NL, on par with Okura and IVY.

Expect to spend more than 6 hours here.. ( really ) while you are serves dish after dish of culinary art.

Wine menu was alright. The atmosphere is small and charming - there is a nice fireplace where we sat in he winter. A shame that the toilet doors lead right into the dining area.

The Maine service was perfect, we were greeted well, welcomed explained the entire menu and every dish - felt very at home here. I believe the two may have been the chef and head of the restaurant ?

The only issue I had was with the service after the start of our night, which just went down hill and became borderline rude.

Nevertheless, Worth a visit of you are in Leiden.

@NLFoodie - follow me

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Leiden, The Netherlands
“Fine dining for a matching price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2012

Prepare to splurge and pull your wallet. Make no plans for the rest of the evening; or the morning after. Exquisite cuisine to be enjoyed leisurely.

• Visited June 2012
3 Thank Lukas_Vermeer
Annecy, France
“Excellent food and atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2012

I hosted a customer here. Quiet and relaxed. Would be great for a special occasion also. Price seemed about average for this type of restaurant offering 4 - 6 courses for a fixed price. This is fine dining so expect portions that will satisfy but not overfill, with sensational taste combinations. Nice wines too. Service was great, attentative and informed staff. There was a quite a lot of time between courses, but I am sure if we'd asked for the meal to be served more rapidly this would not have been a problem, we just didn't ask.

• Visited March 2012