“Great for Keukenhof visitors”
Review of Holiday Inn Leiden

Holiday Inn Leiden
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Leiden
Toronto, Canada
“Great for Keukenhof visitors”
Reviewed May 3, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for couple of nights on a mid week family trip to Keukenhof, the hotel location is really great, very close to the park and also to the city centre, we arrived very late (2 am) and the checkin process was not impressive! The receptionist was trying his best to solve the problem but the computer didn't want to cooperate! We had the same issue with our "quick checkout" too... Advise: the system "automatically" charges you for breakfast and you need to take it out in person at front desk, the staff were great though, they did their best to help me, a young woman trainee helped me a lot to find a wonderful restaurant... She was the same person who helped me a lot on correcting my bill...
The room was small but clean ( not spotless), the swimming pool water was cold, the Internet is a pain especially on mobile devices. But parking is vast and free... Overall, I would come back if get the same deal on price!

• Stayed May 2013
HolidayInnLeiden, General Manager at Holiday Inn Leiden, responded to this review, May 5, 2013
Dear guest, many thanks for being our guest and taking the time to express your nice experience. Please accept our sincere apologies for the check in and check out process, we discussed this with the front desk.. We checked the pool temperature and the wireless internet. We know guests have many choices of accommodation, it's nice to be informed that our hotel was your first choice. I passed your friendly comments to our staff. Again, thank you, I look forward to welcoming you many times in the future. Ronald Reichert, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Wiesbaden, Germany
Reviewed April 16, 2013

This hotel is kid paradise. My 10-year-old son loved the swimming pool, the ping pong table, and the play area, where he made lots of friends to keep him busy during our Spring Break visit to the Netherlands. As for Mom, I thought the hotel was very expensive for the size and quality of the room, but I also thought it was worth it for my son to have a fun Spring Break.

What did I like? The room was clean and comfortable. The parking and wireless internet were free. The breakfast buffet was better than I expected - there was a huge selection of food and beverages. I never did find the coffee, however . . . . And I loved that the hotel had an ice machine (free) for the guests - one of the few European hotels I've found with that feature.

What did I dislike? The room description stated that there was an electric water kettle in the room, so I had brought a few items along with us (hot chocolate mix, etc) to enjoy that convenience. However, a note on the desk in our room stated that the kettles were being replaced and we could get our warm water from the bar instead, which I did not do. I also disliked that, although Leiden itself is in a great location for sightseeing at many different places, the hotel is not - it is on the edge of Leiden, so there is no walking with a child to the downtown, the train station, or even to a grocery store. I knew this going in, so really shouldn't complain about it here, but it is something to be aware of before booking at this hotel.

And what did I hate? The bathroom light with no wall switch, but rather a sensor. The light in the bathroom turns on automatically when you walked into the bathroom, so if you just need a quick visit to the loo in the dark of night, you are treated to very bright lights whether you want them or not. I did not. A nightlight option would have been most appreciated. It was also interesting when the lights went off while I was showering or my son was bathing. Just give me a light switch, please! An additional bathroom gripe was that there was no electrical outlet available for anything but shavers. A hairdryer was built in, but there was no option to use any other type of appliance.

I'm quite sure I would not stay here again unless accompanied by a child, as the price for the room was so high and the location so out-of-the-way in Leiden. But for this kind of trip, a Spring Break excursion with a child, it was the right place at the right time.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
HolidayInnLeiden, General Manager at Holiday Inn Leiden, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Many thanks for being our guest and taking the time to express your nice experience. We know guests have many choices of accommodation. It is always nice to be informed that our hotel was your first choice for you and your son, who enjoyed himself durign his stay with us with all the activities we have for children. We took notice of your comments concerning the water kettles, the bathroom light and elec. outlet. Thank you for taking the time to inform us.
I forwarded your very kind comments to our staff. Again, thank you, I really look forward to welcoming you back to Leiden soon. Ronald Reichert, General Manager
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Was here with the family over the Easter Break. Although the weather was bitterly cold, there were no lack of activities in the hotel to keep the children occupied. The indoor play ground, bouncy castle, and swimming pool is the mainly attraction for the children, who looks forward to going back to the hotel every day.

The check-in and check-out were brisk, and the staffs at the restaurant were very friendly. Keukenhof was a short drive away, while Amsterdam is within half an hour drive. All-in-all, an excellent getaway...

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
HolidayInnLeiden, General Manager at Holiday Inn Leiden, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Many thanks for being our guest and taking the time to express your nice experience. We know guests have many choices of accommodation and it is really nice to be informed that our hotel was your first choice for you and your family. I forwarded your very kind comments to our staff. Again, thank you. I really look forward to welcoming you back to Leiden soon. Ronald Reichert, General Manager
Fort Collins, CO
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I spent most of a week here for a scientific concert. The room was fantastic, the indoor courtyard with plants and fountain were marvelous. There was an alluring swimming pool, the Ocean bar people, food and beer was beyond exceptional. The location was about a mile from city centre, not too far to walk. The free shuttle into town could run more often, or charge a nominal fee becuase a bus ride was 4 euros and a cab 10-15. All in all a great hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Andy-Maureen
HolidayInnLeiden, General Manager at Holiday Inn Leiden, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thank you very much for your review.
We always appreciate feed back from our guests and it’s really nice to receive so much compliments. We forwarded you positive words to all our employees. Thank you!
Thank you for taking the time to inform us.
We hope we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Leiden soon.
Kindest regards, Ronald Reichert, General Manager
Lielvarde, Latvia
Reviewed March 31, 2013

This 4-star hotel is located outside Leiden, in the middle of nowhere. Easiest to get there is by taxi, or on "lucky" hours by shuttle bus, but only on working days. There is also public transport connection line 43, bus stop is close to the hotel.
Inside hotel you get feeling of old factory or really motel, especially specific design of rooms: part of them are facing outside and part - the inside food garden. When you stay in the inside room, you have no idea what's going on outside, feels really uncomfortable, like in prison cell. Rooms are very noisy, especially ones next to kid playground.
Rooms are relatively small: you have 2 big beds but very tiny coffee table with only one chair and some working space. It feels that everything is designed in the way that you are forced to leave your room asap.
Bathroom was little bit outdated and need refreshment.
Breakfast was good, but prices for lunch, dinner and in the bar were very high.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
HolidayInnLeiden, General Manager at Holiday Inn Leiden, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear guest, thank you for the honest comments.
The hotel is right on the outskirts of Leiden, therefore, very easy to reach in various ways and we also offer free parking, shuttle service on weekdays, bus and taxi service to the center of Leiden in only a couple of minutes.
Hotel lay out is unique (3 stories), the rooms surround a nice indoor garden with restaurant. Every guests can choose an indoor room or an exterior room with straight access to the parking lot, also very convenient. Apart from rooms with 2 double beds (140cm) one can choose a King Leisure or an Executive room with 1 kingsize bed, specious working place and bathroom with luxurious bath line. We offer various lunch and dinner options for guests with small and large appetite, very reasonable prices (main course as from € 13,50). Kindest regards, Ronald Reichert General Manager
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Hotel is big, clean, in good location. We was here with two children, 7 and 9 years old and we had family room with bathroom and TV. There was two big playground, for small and bigger kids and swimming pool. Breakfast was amazing. There was everything what you want. There is big parking and it´s free. The stay there is one of better for us. We recommended.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
HolidayInnLeiden, General Manager at Holiday Inn Leiden, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
Many thanks for being our guest and taking the time to express your nice experience in Leiden. We know guests have many choices of accommodation and it's nice to hear that our hotel was your first choice. I passed your friendly comment(s) to our staff. I look forward to welcoming you back many times in the future. Kinderst regards, Ronald Reichert, General Manager
Leamington
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We spent a couple of nights here during a driving week tour of Benelux, we bought this on a deal I think the prices on the day might put you off, but book ahead and this is good value, great buffet, great pool, stupidly comfortable beds, and the staff speak better English than me. Unlike some reviewers we liked having a room over the mezzanine. Perfect for a family break I'd say.

Room Tip: we liked the internal rooms overlooking the huge courtyard, other than that unavoidably you're l...