“Channel View, Good Food, and Whisky by the Sea”
Review of Hotel De Leugenaar

and 1 more site!
Hotel De Leugenaar
Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Vlissingen
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Stayed here in 2012, off season (September) and really liked it.

I spent four nights, didn't find the price outrageous, liked the restaurant downstairs, and appreciated the elevator - a rare treat for me in the type of hotels in the beautiful Netherlands I normally stay at.

My balcony opened onto an sea view that I still remember to this day; absolutely wonderful.

I liked the staff and the owner, the other guests I met (this is the kind of place where people come regularly for their vacations, some were repeat customers going back years.

There is a great walk along the beach and seawall right out front, it is close to a couple of great events - check out the Whisky by the Sea festival if you are in Vlissingen in the fall - and within an easy drive of Belgium, France and the Hague.

My room was clean, with few frills, but a decent-sized shower and cable TV. WiFi was spotty, if I recall, but got done everything I needed to do online.

Overall, the Leugenaar is small enough to be considered an 'intimate' hotel; well-located and I highly recommend it as a getaway mainstay, in the laid-back city of Vlissingen!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank EdwardLloyd

Reviewed April 23, 2013

The seeview + ocean-steamers is spectacular! That is for sure the best part. The parkingfacility is nearby and only 4,50 euro per 24 hours.
The hotel and it's restaurant is too expensive in my opinion. It's really too much money for too less quality.
The menu has little choice, waiting-time between starter and maincourse is over 45 minutes and the french fries even came halfway our maincourse. Free wifi is not working, the bed was in a terrible shape (killed my back) I had to take some shelfs out of the cupboard to put under my mattress to create better sleepingconditions. The rooms are (too) small, and a watercoocker without cups, etc. is useless. The tv-set in the room is so small that is was not possible to read the subtitles (my laptop has more inches). The elevator is the most slowest I have ever experienced. It takes minutes to wait for it's arrival and "travel" three floors.
The rooms are worn-out but clean. Time to renovate lots of things. In the present condition this hotel is not in shape for 3 stars. Two would be more realistic, I suppose. Sorry to say so, but it is like it is.
I have told the owner all this while checking out and she gave me the feeling the renovation allredy has started in the upperfloor and she really listened well to my feedback. She wanted to know all this to consider more improvements and speak about this during staffmeetings.(which is good!) I hope things will change for the better, soon.
Peter Quint.

Room Tip: Ask for the seaview-rooms (only 5 or 6 rooms)! But, make sure (before you take it) the bed fits to y...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank peterquint
Reviewed October 4, 2012

We arrived at the hotel off season. Since the number of guest were limited we were asked when we would like our breakfast, so they could prepare it on the spot and not have to prepare the whole buffet. When we went to our rooms, we noticed that the stairways were used as storage for cleaning materials. The room was clean but small. and simple. In the morning we could other guest leave the hotel and we noticed that the hotel was quite noisy. When we went down for breakfast we had to pass a very large dark dog. The breakfast was fine.

Room Tip: A room with a view over the Schelde would have my preference.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank normandic
Reviewed September 22, 2012

A decent hotel located in a beautiful spot with a nice restaurant on the ground floor, and terrace outside. However we thought that 140 euros was way too much for a very basic room (with sea view) of 9m2. Breakfast was alright. Service not particularly warm.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ErikoFd
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Great locations, Superbe views, outdated rooms, average breakfast but taken by the seaside. One particular member has no idea how to guide us to use WIFI.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room with the view!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 14, 2011

Lovely little hotel.
Cheaper rooms with no sea view are nicer and less worn.
Good internet conneciton.
Food much improved this time round.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed February 5, 2011

It is a small hotel on the boulevard of Flushing ( Vlissingen) between the nautical institute and the nautical college. You can overview the Schelde from the restaurant or you room in you have a room seaside. Vessel on the route from Antwerp to Belgium pass the hotel within 200 meters distance. There is a covered terrace so you can enjoy the scenery throughout the whole year. The rooms are small, but well equipped there is high speed internet in the rooms. The centre of Vlissingen is on walking distance. Behind the hotel there is a public parking place. TIf you arrive you have to take the entrance in from of the hotel. Afterward you can use your key to take the back entrance as well.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business