“Tower with a crown”

Abbey Tower of Long John (Abdijtoren de Lange Jan)
Reviewed January 27, 2012

Everywhere in Middelburg you see this lovely tower and climbing it is rewarde with a beautiful view.

1  Thank Claudia_tripje

Reviewed January 27, 2012

The Middelburg is a beautiful spot in the nice town of Middelburg. You access the square to one of the gates and find a lovely square surrounded by the abbey buildings and churches. Big trees with benches arround it, a museumcafé and terrace and don't forget to visit the herb garden next to the churches which is in the middle of the oldest part of the abbeye. The tower Lange Jan can be climbed and in the summermonths there are guided tours through the abbey and museum The Zeeuws Museum is also located on the square and definetely worth a visit. It offers unexpected perspectives on Zeeland history in a lovely buidling.

Reviewed January 12, 2012

After visiting the abbey, I decided I needed to see the tower. I am afraid of heights, but I am very glad I climbed the tower. The views were fantastic, and it was wonderful seeing the city from on high. The trip down, was well slightly terrifying for me. There is only a rope to hold onto and the stairwell is very narrow. I just saw it as an adventure, and grinned the whole way down. I hope everyone gives it a chance and enjoyes it as much as I did.

1  Thank Texas_Tlynn
Reviewed January 12, 2012

My husband and I were in The Netherlands visiting friends when we all decidd to day trip to Middelburg. First off, we loved this little town and felt immediately at home here. Our friends had been living in The Netherlands for a while and they said they same thing. The Abbey was wonderful, we very much enjoyed it. It is not the most spectacular church or abbey you will see, but it was still lovely and I am glad we took the time to see it. I recommend not only going to Middelburg, but also to this lovely abbey.

Reviewed November 25, 2011

View from top is beautiful, but seems to me that for money we paid for entrance I would expect possibility to take photographs from open windows.