“Lovely Hotel, Stunning Breakfast”

Van der Valk Hotel Middelburg
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Middelburg
Cotswolds
“Lovely Hotel, Stunning Breakfast”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I had a short stay here whilst visiting the nearby port on business, the hotel is about 3 years old and part of a fairly large Dutch hotel chain.
It is positioned somewhat outside of the town on what looks like a developing out of town retail area.
The hotel is extremely nice, the receptionists were extremely helpful and cheerful. I had a standard room which seemed very big, the bathroom on the room was actuall bigger than some hotel rooms I have stayed at! The bathroom had a huge bath and a wet room rain shower, very luxurious!
I ate dinner outside on a terrace next to the restaurant which was very pleasant. I had a tuna steak at a reasonable price which left me quite full.
Breakfast was absolutely fantastic, I can honestly say it is the best spread I have come across in all my travels in Europe. Choices of hot, cold, salad, freshly fried egg, fresh baked waffles etc etc etc.
I would highly recommend this place as one of the best chain hotels I have stayed in, I will hopefully be back many times in the next few months.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Heidelberg, Germany
Reviewed July 20, 2013

The rooms are nice and very quiet even when the hotel is close to the highway.
If you want visit the city without a car, it is very nice to rent a bike in the hotel.
The hotel is 15 minutes by bike far from the center of Middelburg.
The bathroom is perfect, a big mirror, a bath tub and a shower.
The rooms are very clean and the beds are nice.
You wake up relaxed. ;-)
The breakfast is good and offer a very large selection of warm and cold food.

Room Tip: You can choose any room
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Palawan64
Ghent, Belgium
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We stayed their for a Saturday evening. The quite new hotel is very comfortable, but it is probably some 2 kilometres from downtown Middelburg. Our standard room was really very large, modern and comfortable. good internet in the room.
On Saturday evening, we really enjoyed the special cooling dinner at the top floor (it was fully booked), which is very reasonably priced (about 35 €, all drinks included).
The breakfast was really, really good with a lot of choices.
finally, we could park our bikes in the underground garage.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PeterW37
Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

Didn't stay in this hotel but tried the restaurant a few times. Believe me just try it and you will not regret you did! I was reluctant and sceptical while our last experience in a van Der valk restaurant was most horrible (ridderkerk, one of us had a food poisoning, I noticed the fish was not looking good at all at first sight but unfortunately they had all kind of excuses like you find sole in different shapes etc...but why not excuse to your customers and apologize instead of an apology they patronized on us which made you terribly and a shamed) But I was most happy that we gave this restaurant another try...it was beyond delicious! Tuna (unfortunately not big eye but albacore...so not the dark red tunasteak) was very well prepared and the taste was good, starter was just great smoked salmon with wasabi, the sole was perfect...the sides like the vegetables and the patatoes very tasty. Service was impeccable...

Chapeau to the chief! We will be back...very recommendable!

• Stayed June 2013
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 22, 2013

I spent 2 nights on a business trip in this hotel was pleased overall. The hotel is very nicely designed and decorated with a sleek modern style. The service at reception, restaurant and bar was excellent. The rooms were quiet with lots of space. The full length mirror in the room was appreciated (I needed to make a good impression). The bathrooms are large and modern with a walk in shower. Lots of choice at breakfast.
The restaurant was very good and fairly priced with vegatarian option, although they brought me a salad with ham/bacon on top as an accompaniment to my vegitarian meal.
The fee for the internet was annoying. 5 Euros for 50 minutes. I thought they could at least have made it free in the lobby and bar area.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Braintree, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 21, 2013

The stay was good be the service let them down. The wifi was poor at best. The room was v good, big and clean. The food and service in the restraint was ok, not what would be expected of a 4 star hotel in the UK. All said I was here for work and had an ok time. KFC across the road was good. With good wifi.

• Stayed March 2013
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Stayed in this hotel for a second time.

Room was still great - hotel is still pretty impressive. Very quiet in the room. Lovely bathroom.
Rooms have kettles - which is handy.

Food was lovely - really tasty.

Some minor niggles:
- had to buy internet access - I had forgotten about this. Unlikely to stay here again if this is still the case next time I am in the area - €15 is not cheap.
- contrary to my last visit - the main menu was in Dutch only, and no offer was made by the waiter to translate. There was a small English menu but it had less than half the number of items on it compared to the Dutch menu.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Valkmiddelburg, General Manager at Van der Valk Hotel Middelburg, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for the positive comments on your stay with us. We also would like to give a reaction to the requested improvements you gave notice of.
At the moment you stayed with us, the menu in our restaurant had recently changed. The final approval for the translated menu's was not given yet. In the meantime, we offer an English and German version of our menu. During your stay, of course one of the waiters could have translated the menu for you. We will discuss this with the restaurantmanager.
Wifi availability will be improved this year (asap) since we are changing the supplier. At the moment we are running some tests and they are very succesfull.
Again, thank you for sharing your experiences with us. We are looking forward to welcoming you back to our hotel!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Middelburg
Boutique Hotel The Roosevelt
Hotel de Nieuwe Doelen
Hotel de Nieuwe Doelen
#5 of 10 in Middelburg
Fletcher Hotel-Restaurant Middelburg

Been to Van der Valk Hotel Middelburg? Share your experiences!