“Quirky and interesting”

Museum Speelklok
Ranked #5 of 114 things to do in Utrecht
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Museum Speelklok, the most cheerful museum in the Netherlands! During a visit to the typical Dutch Museum Speelklok, cheerful live music will surround you from centuries-old self-playing musical instruments. The history of these instruments started back in 16th century the Netherlands with the use of church carillons. Over the centuries, the general desire of people to be surrounded by music, led to the invention of all sorts of self-playing musical instruments: musical clocks, musical boxes, orchestrions (self-playing orchestras) and the traditional Dutch street organs. All of these instruments, including the famous street organ named Arabier and the so-called 8th world wonder the Violina, can be admired and heard during the lively museum tour. Thanks to the highly skilled Restoration Workshop, the collection is kept playing and this craft can be passed on from this generation to the next.
Reviewed October 15, 2013

We took refuge here early on a very wet Sunday morning and was surprised to really enjoy this museum. There was no tour available when we arrived but the young attendants were enthusiastic and I enjoyed my turn "playing" a pianola as they showed us how some of the exhibits worked. Generally all rather good fun and a welcome distraction from the rain.

2  Thank Julie P

Reviewed October 8, 2013

There's a tour aroud all kinds of bell and organ related items (clocks for example). Very interesting, with explanations by a guide in Dutch and English. It something you will find in very few places.

2  Thank Arjen_Arjen
Reviewed September 24, 2013

It is very nice museum, for childre special, for me ( age around 30 was a little boring ) I don't recomended for people in my age guided with tours, our guideman was very boring and he looks he didn't like this job, but for children speeklok presentation was for sure very exciting, its nice museum with nice gofts in the shop:)

Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

I'm afraid I was not expecting to enjoy this museum but it ended up being one my favourites in Utrecht. The exhibition is really interesting and very interactive. I would recommended this to anyone visiting Utrecht.
I think it would have been expensive if I didn't have a MuseumKaart.

3  Thank RuthEChick
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Make sure you visit this FUN museum on your Utrecht outing! There are 3 parts to the museum: the guided tour, the upper level galleries, and the exhibit with stories and a movie.

Start with the exhibit that includes prerecorded stories and facts about the whole experience. The "theater" experience is narrated in Dutch, but has an entertaining English written narrative. It was honestly my favorite part, and I wishes we had done it first! After that, go on to the guided tour, which is done in English along with Dutch. After those 2 things, you can roam the rest of the re-vamped cathedral and look at the remaining displays. Fascinating!

After you visit, you will be even more entertained as you wander the centrum on a Saturday and hear the music in the streets!