“An hour well spent; great guides!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Utrecht, The Netherlands
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“An hour well spent; great guides!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

I have visited the Domtower many times, since I live in Utrecht itself, but every time is different. This is largely thanks to the great guides taking you up this beautiful medieval tower. They all have more knowledge than they can spread around in just one hour, meaning each tour has a (slightly) different content. Combine this with the never dissapointing views of both the interior of the tower itself and it's beautifull surroundings, and you're left with an hour well spent.

Visited September 2013

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Well worth the climb!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013

You really must visit this wonderful Utrecht landmark. It's a wonderful visit and the views are spectacular. The guide was very friendly and interesting.

Visited November 2013
Padua, Italy
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Beautiful sight!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013

The Dom tower is the tallest church tower in the Netherlands. You will be able to climb it only with a tour guide, who will stop due or three times during the trip upstairs to tell you interesting facts about the building of the tower and its gigantic bells. Eventually you will reach the very top and you will enjoy a beautiful view of the city. I reccomend buying the combo ticket Dom Tower + Speelklok Museum at the nearby Tourist Information center.

Visited November 2013
Quezon, Philippines
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“extraordinary experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2013

we came back to Utrech because last year (2012) we missed the tour to go up the tower. so this year, no matter what, we will go back to utrecht and we had to go up the dom toren. by sheer determination. we did!
it was a rainy, windy, gusty day. we were absolutely freezing, our umbrellas gave up on us, and most of the stores remained close for the day. but we bravely headed to the tourist office and booked a tour to go up the dom toren. we kept asking each other, (my sister and I) are they going to cancel the tour??? the wind is getting stronger, its getting colder, darker. But come 1 pm, the tour started. There were a few children in the group so we thought, it must be OK.
There are more than 400 steps to go up but it did not feel so tiring because there are interesting stops along the way. Whenever I would feel I could not go on anymore, voila, we stop to look at a set of bells, a view point of the city, the office of the priest, etc.
Our guide did not take us to the top-most. He said if we want to go up, we could, he will wait for us at the lower station. Well, my sister and I looked at each other and we decided to continue to go up. this last flight of narrow winding stone steps were the hardest to climb. but reaching the top, it was well worth the experience. The view is magical, event as the wind beat the homes and trees repeatedly. My face was already numb from the cold air. I could not feel my feet. but my heart pounded as i took in this unique experience. simply amazing.

Visited October 2013
Fife, Scotland
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Excellent views, but tricky for those scared of heights”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

Really interesting tour- need to book and pay in advance at tourist information centre across the road. Quite pricey but overall worth it. Tour starts in information centre- our guide spoke Dutch then repeated in English which worked well - often though the English version seemed shorter - and we didn't have quite so many jokes! The tour takes you up the tower in stages - stopping at different levels to hear about the history, bells etc. The staircase is fine to begin with, but as young higher, it gets narrower - and steeper. I have to confess I didnt make it to the top- far too narrow and winding for me- despite this, the views from the penultimate stop are really fantastic, and you get a good sense of the city. I've been assured I didn't miss much by not making it further! Def worth a visit.

Visited October 2013