“Excellent value, superb views and facilities”
Review of Hotel Mitland

Hotel Mitland
Ranked #3 of 22 Hotels in Utrecht
GreenLeadersSilver level
Ely, England
“Excellent value, superb views and facilities”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

A little way out of the city centre, (city centre accessible by bus) but with superb views over the adjacent park (worth paying extra for). Has all the facilities of a far more expensive hotel: swimming pool, sauna, gym but at very modest rates. Restaurant was also excellent: food fresh, well prepared and reasonably priced.Has a conference centre feel, but the staff are friendly and helpful. Rooms clean and well appointed with tea and coffee in the room but oddly only paper cups.

Room Tip: Worth paying extra for the park view.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Polish first
Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed September 22, 2012

Stayed here with my wife and two boys, 5 and 7. On the plus side, the breakfast was good with a wide range of food available. The boys loved the pancakes (freshly made while you wait). It's a nice location - by a lake, nice view and pretty quiet. Some staff were helpful, some not so much. Our eldest had an ear infection and the receptionist found a doctor, arranged an appointment and gave us directions. Couldn't ask for more. The receptionist working the next day was surly and aloof, so a bit of pot luck regarding the helpfulness of staff.
On the down side, well, if you go for a quiet hotel it is likely to be out of the way. This was no exception (this might give you an idea: the goats on the other side on the lake woke me up a few times one night!), which is why the extra fee for parking seems so unreasonable. It's not in the middle of town, and even when there was a conference held at the hotel, there were still plenty of spaces. So why should paying guests have to pay for parking in the middle of nowhere? The receptionist told me I could leave my car outside the car park but it might not be so safe. Gee thanks.
Bit of a story about the minibar: Upon arrival, one of my boys opened the minibar and took out a can. We tried to put it back but each time you pull open the minibar another can pops out and you are charged for it. It looked like we were going to be charged for three cans, but upon leaving I told the receptionist that we left the cans on top of the bar as we didn't intend to take anything and she deducted it from my bill. Can't say fairer than that.
Finally, if you're with kids, the bowling is a big plus and they do a great snack platter there. The area is also great for walks, but I would recommend hiring a car. (We hired with the Avis at Utrecht station - although it was a bit of a walk with two small kids to the Avis office).
All in all, a good place to stay.

Room Tip: Pick a room with a view over the lake as it is worth it - even if the goats on the other side start...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Chandlern
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed September 14, 2012

I booked the Hotel Mitland as a weekend getaway. The hotel was very nice, everything was clean. We had a tv in the room and a minibar which was very pricy. ( A coke can 3euros). We had to pay extra for parking which was 7.50€ a night. The Hotel describes that its a 5min walk to the city centre, but this isnt true we walked for at least 25 minutes and we are 25 years old. The pool and the spa are( steam room and a sauna) were nice, and included it the hotel price room. Around the hotel is a sport park and a little lake, which is very nice for a walk or to just be outside.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank trischa87
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Although well outside Utrecht (don't go there without a car), the location is very nice with a beautiful artificial lake (pool?) and park nearby. You don't find often this kind of hotels. The hotel is nice (a litlle bit outdated, but OK) and the rooms are very nice and big as well. I think we had the biggest room we had in our Netherlands trip. The service was OK (although nobody seemed to care very much that we strugled with our luggage) and the breakfast was very generous and tasty, served in a really rare setting - near the small lake. The only minuses was the bad air condition in the room (personally, I love to freeze my room - and it is not possible in August with the tiny air condition they have there), the fact that you have to pay extra for the parking (1.5 E per hour from the third hour on) and for the breakfast (15 E or so). But, in general, this is a very good value for money.

Room Tip: view to the lake, and high
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Lord_Jade
Brno, Czech Republic
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Stayed in this hotel during a conference. The room was very good, spotless and had comfortable beds. There was free internet in the room.
I did not attend the breakfast beacuse it was bit pricey and was not included in room rate.
I did attend the lunch buffet which was quite good.
The pool is small, but there is also a steam bath and a sauna for the guests relaxation.
I found two small faults in this hotel:
First, as said here before, it is almost outside the city. There are no shops, caffes, bakeries etc. at a walking distance. Even the nearest bus stop is quite a walk away (about 10-15 mins).
Second, most of the time there was only one person at the reception. We had to wait quite a while during check-in and check-out.
Other than that I was really satisfied with this hotel and I would probably stay there again.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a room with a water-front view, they seem more quiet and have blakonies (other ro...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Olgitit
Lansing, Michigan
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I stayed here while attending a conference at the University. It was one of the hotels arranged by the conference, and at the conference rate it was a good deal; I don't know what the normal rates are like. The setting was pretty. I had a room facing the lake, with a little patio outside a sliding door. The drawback to that was that noise from people on the terrace (where breakfast is served) could be heard in the room, plus it meant the room wasn't very private feeling, though that's what curtains are for. I was worried about noise but it did not prove to be a problem, as people typically did not linger on the patio late at night and by the time people were going out there to eat breakfast I was getting up anyway.

The facilities were all clean and pleasant and the room was an adequate size. The staff were friendly and, as is common in the Netherlands, all spoke English comfortably and were not fazed by speaking it to me (someone who speaks no Dutch).

Probably the best part was the breakfast, which included champagne along with the usual array of breakfast foods. My husband and I enjoyed having breakfast on the terrace looking out at the lake.

It is not located in the city and was not near my conference, but the bus stop is a short walk and they gave me instructions in English about how to get to the bus stop and how to return to the stop on the bus lines. I did not find traveling to the city a problem. The city center can also be walked to if you do not mind a half hour's walk.

I would recommend the Hotel Mitland to other travelers to Utrecht and would stay there again if I returned.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business