“The hostel is good but it was the first time I had something stolen in a hostel in Europe”

Strowis Budget Hostel
Reviewed October 7, 2012

We stayed over for two nights. The problem is that the locker is downstairs, and if you want to lock your stuff, you have to go two floors down. I left my stuff in a locker, and then I went out to some parties in the streets during the Queen's day. When I got back, I took my backpack to my room and left it there while I was downstairs drinking some coffee and talking to some people. In the following morning I noticed someone stole my toiletry bag from my backpack with a quite expensive shaver, perfume and somethings else in it. The problem is, I asked people at the reception to at least help me out, to check if I had dropped it downstairs in the locker hall or somewhere else, and they were just sitting there not doing anything, ignoring me and saying I should have kept my stuff in the locker.

The toilet was messy and definitely not clean. For all these reasons I'd recommend you to go to a decent hostel where people would care a bit more about their costumers!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Cesar A

Reviewed June 26, 2012

We only stayed for one night and we really liked it. Nice hostel, simple, but very well-located. The people were very friendly, and we could leave or backpack in the hostel even on the day of our departure (the whole day - which we´ve noticed is not that common, usually they told us to put it in the baggage locker or pay for another day, so we really appreaciated this offer).

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank veprovka
Reviewed June 23, 2012

Stayed for one night, single room (which turned out to be a double room just for me). The room was very clean, I actually expected less. Toilets and showers (two each) were both near the room, nice and clean. My room was on the top floor and there was one downside, the room was quite dark due to the lack of windows on the walls. Since I was only going to spend the night there before heading to Amsterdam, this was not a big issue.

What really sets this hostel apart from others was the servicemindedness from the staff. Very informative, always there to help out. The atmosphere felt very good and there seems to be a few individuals that really fought to get the hostel estsblished in the first place (information from one in the staff).

I would recommend this hostel if you're looking for a reasonably priced accomodation in Utrecht. I payed around 76 € with breakfast. They charge a credit card fee, 5 % on the amount, so bring cash if you don't want to spend 3 € extra on the bill (something I had to do).

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank Mattias N
Reviewed June 14, 2012

I only stayed here for a night. The hostel is quite okay, receptionist was fine...neither friendly nor unfriendly. I had a good sleep, it was summer and my first summer in Europe where the day is longer than usual. The nice thing, they sell, Indonesian noodle on their pantry... Internet connection was good.

If I'd go back to Utrecht, I'd considered to stay at this place again since the price is reasonable and not really disappointing. The most important thing, the location is close to Utrecht Dom Tower and city centrum.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Rahma K
Reviewed June 13, 2012

I had to go to Utrecht for an academic conference and I was a bit short of money so I booked this hostel. The place is very nice, full of character and well located. Furthermore the guys are awesome and the bar and living room is certainly a plus. I had to work all night, and they had the most beautiful lamps and confortable seats where you can do it, and they will make you a double expresso if you need it. Btw they gave me a warm welcome with a free drink (a mint tea) as it was pouring outside and I was really wet.
I met some funny characters, but unfortunately I was on a business trip so I could not socialise much. I fully recommend the place.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank WellingtonSouth
Reviewed April 3, 2012

i stayed one night location okee but the staff was unfriendly rude
breakfast simpel there wasn t enough bread
I couldn t take a showerthe showers were dirty
I paid for a big dorm 26;75 euro the cheapest
for hot water 50 cents to make a tea or hot chocolade
coffea and tea 1;50 euro
The location is perfect but it wasn t what I expected

Room Tip: go to another hostel in utrecht